Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Film speed in TV shows

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 MikeKaz

MikeKaz

Stunt Coordinator

• 152 posts

Posted June 15 2003 - 02:54 PM

I've always wondered about this- Most TV programming is shot with video cameras. Some drama shows are shot on film then transferred to video. But what exactly do they do to make programming that is shot with similar video cameras look different? For example, a news broadcast looks very crisp and fast moving where a sitcom has a grainier, slowed down kind of look to it. I know the type of lens you use has a major effect on the overall look of programming, but it wouldnt change the apparent frame speed of the material. So do they actually convert say a 30 fps video pogram to 24 or some other number to give it a more filmlike look? And if this is what they do, does anyone have any actual numbers or other information as to what they do to get the desired effect?

#2 of 9 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted June 15 2003 - 04:13 PM

There is a technique called "Filmlook" used on many shot-on-video TV shows. I first noticed it on "Cosby"; it mainly seemed to be used to make "exteriors" that were, in fact, shot on a soundstage look different from "interior" shots.

There's also a whole lot you can do with just filters, lenses, and lighting.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#3 of 9 Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted June 15 2003 - 06:07 PM

I don't believe Filmlook was around for most of Cosby. Actually many sitcoms are shot on film, 24fps, you can tell if by nothing else by how they move. Seinfeld, W&G, Friends all shot on film.

I know we have a camera guy for W&G somewhere on the forum, and they may have moved to HD 24p cameras for the show. Bernie Mac and I believe Malcom in the middle I believe are shot on HD now.

#4 of 9 Peter Kline

Peter Kline

Screenwriter

• 2,409 posts

Posted June 16 2003 - 03:20 AM

Aren't some film-based tv shows shot at 30 fps rather then 24 fps. It gives them an almost video-look.

#5 of 9 Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter

• 1,413 posts

Posted June 16 2003 - 05:09 AM

Quote:
I don't believe Filmlook was around for most of Cosby.

From Filmlook's site:

Quote:
COSBY'S NEW (FILM)LOOK
BURBANK--This fall the CBS comedy "Cosby" gets a new look as it launches into its second season. The hit Carsey-Werner series will now be entirely processed in FILMLOOK.

"Cosby" utilized FILMLOOK in its first season for exterior scenes and segments that required a different look from the rest of the studio-produced show, which is normally shot in multicamera video.

Tempe/Full Moon have used Filmlook for some of their features. I think the process looks wretched, at least as implemented there. Perhaps a different and more effective style of Filmlook is used on other productions.

#6 of 9 Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted June 16 2003 - 06:23 AM

I didn't realize it was around as a seperate box. The first time I heard of Filmlook it was as it's current form of a plugin

#7 of 9 MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted June 16 2003 - 06:23 AM

The first time I remember ever noticing a difference in video quality was near the end of the "Growing Pains" series. It always had a soft look to the show (almost like they do on soap operas where it almost has a dream like quality), but near the last few seasons, the image got more crisp and "real" looking. i.e. The image seemed less "altered" than before.

I assumed it must have been a update in cameras, but who knows.

#8 of 9 Scott L

Scott L

Producer

• 4,466 posts

Posted June 23 2003 - 12:24 PM

Dumb question but why are big money makers such as Friends shot on 24fps film? Do they still prefer 35mm to the current HD offerings that are available? Jay Leno and Conan O'Brien are shot on HD cameras. I'd just think digital HD is easier to archive and translate to 60fps TV.

#9 of 9 Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted June 23 2003 - 12:58 PM

I think it's mostly a look thing. Staying consistant. Had they started Friends now it would probably be HD

Forum Nav Content I Follow