Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

How Childproof are the Samsung DLP Screens?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Jim Noble

Jim Noble

Extra

• 23 posts

Posted June 15 2003 - 09:59 AM

I'm pretty attracted to the Samsung 60" DLP set, for all the usual reasons.

However, I have a 2 year old and another on the way. My Toshiba 50" RPTV has held up to kid abuse pretty well (banging on the screen when Barney appears).

Will this destroy the DLP screen? Is there a viable screen protection option?

Thanks.

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Don Petsche

Don Petsche

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted June 15 2003 - 01:22 PM

I've got the HLN5065W. I also have a 16 month old boy, and 2 girls 7 and 5. In the last 2 months, it has withstood a direct hit by a kicked soccer ball, and consistant hand slaps while my boy enjoys "the wiggles". I feel I'm pretty darn lucky regarding the soccer ball, the frame absorbed most of the shock. It could have just as easily hit in the middle and shattered.

I clean the finger prints off every other day with a soft cloth, so far so good. I don't expect any further withstanding of flying debris (my kids have since been warned), but the little one's enthusiastic pointing and slapping isn't going to cease any time soon.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   John Geelan

John Geelan

Screenwriter

• 1,092 posts

Posted June 15 2003 - 04:32 PM

My 7yr old daughter loves to touch the TV screen (my current 27" JVC tube TV) for some reason and leaves her fingerprints on the glass all the time.

Hope she grows out of this by the time I get a HLN507!

Good to know that a soft cloth cleans the fingerprints.
JohnG

(Proud Home Theater Forum Donor)

Sony KDS-R50XBR1 (SXRD)Denon AVR3806/ DVD3910Toshiba HD-DVD XA2/ Sony PS3Onix Rockets RS550MKIIsSVS 25-31CS subwoofer