Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Your thoughts on Illuminations brand cables

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit

• 423 posts

Posted June 15 2003 - 09:15 AM

I have a illuminations v-21 cable that im using for digital coax from my Denon DD/DTS reciever to my Panny Rp-81 DVD. What do you think if this brand?
Should I upgrade to Rhino Premium at the same time I will be upgrading my Componet to Rhino as well. But if my Illum's are just as good I will just stick with them.
Any advise will give many thanks! :b
MY DVD'S

May the Force be with you

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Chu Gai

Chu Gai

Lead Actor

• 7,270 posts

Posted June 15 2003 - 09:43 AM

Coax is pretty much coax. There 'might' be situations if you're running very long lengths that improved shielding can make a difference because it minimizes noise pickup. So if you're seeing something like intermittent dropouts, get a better shielded cable. Otherwise it's a moot point buying something 'better'.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit

• 423 posts

Posted June 15 2003 - 09:43 AM

Any other thoughts?
MY DVD'S

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh

Producer

• 5,183 posts

Posted June 16 2003 - 09:36 AM

Stick with the illuminations.

Digital signals are very insenstive to the cable as compared to high-frequency analog (video) signals. While I do push for good video cables for video, any well-made video cable will work for the coaxial-digital connection.

The audio drop-outs that have been reported here have been because people used an audio cable for the coaxial-digital connection. Many audio cables are made with 50 ohm coax, but the coaxial-digital spec calls for 75 ohm coax (aka: a Video cable).

The only reason to upgrade is if there is if you really like the look of the Rhino cables and want a matched set of interconnects. But at ~$45 - these are almost as expensive for the single-conductor as a 3-foot set of the identical stuff bundled as a component cable set. Heck, buy another component cable set and just use 1 conductor for coaxial-digital.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit

• 423 posts

Posted June 16 2003 - 09:49 AM

Thanks Bob Posted Image :wink:

I just learn that Illuminations are made by Kimber Kable.I have had that cable for better then 6 years and never knew who made it.I love my Kimber Kable I have running to my front 3 speakers so I WILL stick with that. And I also want to thank you for all the questions you have answerd for my this past weekend. BTW - I am going with Rhino's
componete for both my DSS-TV & dvd-TV .The BEST rhino offers are the same cost ( $109.00 1m ) to Beter Cables 2nd best.So it make more since for me to go with Rhino so that I can get 2 pair + I just like the Rhino better . :b

Regards , Eric
MY DVD'S