-

Photo

XM/Sirius in home antenna mounting

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   Gerard Martin

Gerard Martin

Second Unit

• 367 posts

Posted June 15 2003 - 06:03 AM

Have been told by a large chain store sales professional both the XM and Sirius home antenna's must be mounted near a window, is this correct? or would reception be equally as good if mounted in the middle of a room. Where do you with home antennas mount yours? TIA.
Jerry

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele

Producer

• 3,184 posts

Posted June 15 2003 - 11:02 PM

I have XM in the home via the Delphi Sky Fi and the Delphi
Home Kit.

My XM Antena is no where near a window.. It just points to
the south and is stitting atop my big screen TV.. I get a
full 4 bars of Satelite Reception and it always comes through
crystal clear.
Brett DiMichele
brettd@nospamyukonwaltz.com (remove nospam)

Too Much to list!
My PhotoBucket              My Buttkicker Wireless Advance Kit Review

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   KurtJ

KurtJ

Stunt Coordinator

• 80 posts

Posted June 18 2003 - 06:51 AM

Me too. I have mine (XM) mounted above the armoire the tv sits in. The room is in the NW corner of the house. I have no reception problems.
The info that came w/ the Delphi said I can daisy chain 3(40 ft ea) antenna cables together for a max of 120ft if need be.Posted Image

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   Paul Gere

Paul Gere

Second Unit

• 282 posts

Posted July 06 2003 - 02:02 PM

"large chain store sales professional"

There's a leap of faith!! Posted Image

Mine's just sitting on top of my audio rack. No problems. Great reception.

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   PaulBigelow

PaulBigelow

Stunt Coordinator

• 139 posts

Posted July 07 2003 - 01:33 AM

Hello,

My Sky-Fi antenna is not near a window and I get about 2
bars of satellite and a 3 bars of terrestrial. When moving
the antenna around the signal can be made to drop out but
I have to *try* to make it fail.
Best regards,

Paul Bigelow

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   Gerard Martin

Gerard Martin

Second Unit

• 367 posts

Posted July 07 2003 - 01:52 AM

Paul
I have mine on a westward facing window sill and usually receive 3 bars however occasionally will get 1 that will flash back and forth to 3. Additionally recently have had daily dropouts between about 9:15 and 9:45 eastern. Don,t know if the satellite makes a pitstop at this time or what. Any ideas? TIA.
Jerry

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   John Teague

John Teague

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted August 26 2003 - 01:32 PM

Depends if you have local repeaters near you. If yes, then no. If no, then yes Posted Image

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   Jeff P

Jeff P

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted August 27 2003 - 04:17 AM

I have my Dephi Home Kit in the basement underneath a fireplace here in Kansas. The antennea faces south and typically has 3 bars without any loss of signal. I have a little loss in the garage (which sits on the north side of a two story house)

All in all, if you are going through just one wall, it should work fine...

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   Scott Giles

Scott Giles

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted June 22 2004 - 09:36 AM

I was considering using an existing 75 ohm coax cable to go from my interior basement radio placement to the outdoors with an antenna. Anybody tried that? I've got a portable Audiovox receiver/modulator for Sirius. I realize some artfull work will need to be done on the connections between the radio, cable, and antenna cable/connector. Guess the question really is, what is the impedance of the sat radio antenna cables?

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   Scott Giles

Scott Giles

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted June 22 2004 - 09:36 AM

I was considering using an existing 75 ohm coax cable to go from my interior basement radio placement to the outdoors with an antenna. Anybody tried that? I've got a portable Audiovox receiver/modulator for Sirius. I realize some artfull work will need to be done on the connections between the radio, cable, and antenna cable/connector. Guess the question really is, what is the impedance of the sat radio antenna cables?

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   Dean_S

Dean_S

Second Unit

• 261 posts

Posted July 01 2004 - 03:56 AM

I have my Sirius antenna as far from a window as it could possibly be (about 25-30 feet) and I'm on a lower floor of a 4 story mid-rise (reinforced concrete between every floor) and I get zero signal strength on the meter in the tuner but my reception is flawless!!!

About the conversion of the antenna to run over RG6. Sirius tech support told me it would work. The adaptors to convert RG6 terminated with BNC instead of F are available from Pasternack and they are expensive (about $60 for both, but they require a $100 minimum order). I haven't tried this yet b/c I asked the question to cover using the tuner at a friends new house and he doesn't have his whole house audio hardware yet...as soon as he gets it we'll try the antenna in his wiring closet and see if we get reception...if not we will get the adaptors from pasternack and use one of the many extra RG6 feeds he has running outside to the cable and DSS locations.

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   Keith Shaw

Keith Shaw

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted July 23 2004 - 02:16 AM

Again, if you can get a terrestrial repeater signal, it doesn't matter where the antenna is in relation to a window. I'm listening to XM right now in my office, which is in the middle of a large building. Full strength signal from a terrestrial repeater- you just have to make sure you have the antenna aimed correctly. HTH.
"He sees as well as you do that courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point."
-- C.S. Lewis

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   Joshua_JO

Joshua_JO

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted July 25 2004 - 06:47 AM

Where can I find a list of cities with repeaters?