What's new

Harman Kardon AVR 325 Question????? (1 Viewer)

Larry C

Stunt Coordinator
Hello ALL!!!!!!!!!

I am considering buying the 325 but would like to make sure of something first....

I just bought some outdoor all weather speakers. They will be connected to my back patio. All speaker wires have been run back to my current receiver (Denon 2801) which has A/B speaker switching......

Will I be able to do the same with the 325??? I read it has Multi/Room but I wanna understand 100%. Does this mean I can listen to the samething inside and outside as well as different sources as lets say SAT TV and DVD???

Thanks in advance ALL!!!!!!!!

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
That's correct...you can listen to any 'source' in the 2nd zone, whether it's playing in the other room or not. It even has provisions to control the 2nd zone by remote, but you need to add a thing or two first. Let me know if this interests you and I'll elaborate.

Larry C

Stunt Coordinator
Yes please elaborate.......

When you mean source could this be the HK 325 itself??? I do not want to add any soet of extra componet or amp...

If I just have the HK 325 would I be able to watch(hear) a football game and my wife listen to music outside using the multi zone of course????

THANKS JohnnyG:emoji_thumbsup:

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
You can play any source in zone 2 that is plugged into the 325 (although if it is like the Denons, it has to go through an analog input). I think what Johnny is saying is that you can control the 2nd zone from that zone itself via remote control. This could be accomplished, I would imagine, by running an IR wire from that room to the rear panel of the 325.

The 325 has 7 amps in it rated at a very conservative 50 watts/channel driven simultaneously. This allows you to run either 7.1 by itself, or 5.1 and a 2nd zone. Simply enter the amp assignment section in the setup menu. You can also add an external amp to the mix and use that to power the 2nd zone. This would enable you to have 7.1 in the main room and stereo in the 2nd zone

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Yup, just like Michaael says. You can watch a DVD in the main room, and the 325's FM tuner in the other, or a CD (if you have separate DVD and CD players, of course!), or the movie soundtrack, or...

For remote operation, at the very least you require a Xantech "Hidden-Link" IR receiver (or similar unit) plugged into the zoneII remote input on the back of the 325. To eliminate the need for running wires for the Hidden-Link, I usually pair this with a wireless IR extended (RCA, for example). You put the extender's transmitter in a convenient place within the 2nd zone area. Then you place the extender's receiver and the Hidden-Link together in a drawer or something within cable's reach of the 325. Voila! Wireless zone 2 operation!

The zoneII remote issues IR codes that are identical to the main unit codes and that's why you have to shield the extenders receiver in a drawer or something.

Ozzie

Agent
Can the same be done with the AVR225? I just purchased the 225 but have yet to hook it up.

Thanks!

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
There is a table on harmankardon.com that compares the features of the various recievers. IIRC, the 225 does not have any zone 2 capability.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks