What's new

Tearjerkers... (1 Viewer)

EdHoch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ed Hochstatter
Okay, I've played around a bit, posted to a few threads, so just for fun I thought I'd start one of my own:

What movies make you cry? Perhaps not tears rolling down your cheeks, but at least make you well up enough that eye wipeage is necessary...

I'll go first:

It's a Wonderful Life: Every year, I say it's not going to get me, but when George Bailey gets the telegram from Sam that puts him over the top...it gets me...or if I get past that, when Harry toasts George as "the richest man in town"...it gets me.

Field of Dreams: the music, the sunset, Coster's voice cracking as he delivers the line "Hey...Dad? Wanna have a catch?" Gets me every time.

Mr. Holland's Opus: absolutely DESIGNED to make you cry...and it works...

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Schindler's List - the end scene where he realizes he could have done so much more.

Iron Giant - I'm Superman.

LOTR - Boromir's death.

October Sky

Saving Private Ryan

Antwone Fisher - meeting his relatives

Welcome aboard.

EdHoch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ed Hochstatter
Oops! Sorry...How did I miss this? When I look at the list of threads under movies...I only see 29 threads, and none of them have this "I wanna cry..." title...or else I would have simply posted there instead of starting this thread...

Oh and I also forgot some of the more serious films that also got to me, such as Anne Frank Remembered...Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan....Spielberg knows how to push the buttons...

Shaun

Second Unit
Dances With Wolves - When Costner's character goes back to retrieve his diary and his horse and the wolf are killed and he is captured by the military. With John Barry's emotional score, it get's me every time.

Simon_Lepine

Supporting Actor
Hey, you're not Edward D. Hoch, the mystery writer, are you? :)

The thread I pointed out is a few weeks old, you're probably just displaying the recent threads. No biggie, it's not like you're supposed to know about all the threads in this forum, just wanted to point out something that might interest you.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I remember crying when I was a teen at The Champ with Ricky Schroder and John Voight.

Lets see....

Ordinary People
Terms of Endearment
Steel Magnolias
Sophie's Choice
Great Santini
Untamed Heart

and ditto Field of Dreams.

All these have something in common and I didnt realize it while typing them but now that I look at it, the theme is Death.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
All right, I'll put myself out there:

1. Sounds funny, but the flashback scene in Rocky V where Rocky and Mickey have a discussion in the ring about his upcoming fight against Creed. Mickey tells Rocky (in his typical gruff manner) that he loves him. Personally, I never had a father, and my kickboxing coach was the closest thing I've ever had. He has a lot of Mickey's qualities and the Rocky movies always get to me because of it.

2. The end of About Schmidt when Warren get the painting from Ndugu.

3. About four or five different scenes from Titanic. I realize that Titanic is considered to be over-hyped by some people, but I still think that it's absolutely beautiful.

4. My Life- the entire movie, espcially the end.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Return of the Jedi
Braveheart

And when I was a kid...Terminator 2 used to make me cry when the Terminator dies at the end...still produces a tear...

Christopher P

Supporting Actor
I'll mention It's a Wonderful Life but not the ending, I usually lose it on the bridge..."Please God, let me live again."

The Wrath of Khan from "Ship out of danger?" through the bagpipes.

Ordinary People "I'm not disappointed, I love you." I'll never listen to Pachebel's Canon without thinking of that, I only figure people who play that at weddings weren't affected by the film as I was.

Shawshank Redemption "Tell you where I'd go...Zihuatanejo"

Chris

Stephen_L

Supporting Actor
A couple of tear jerkers not already mentioned.

Remains of the Day- When Emma Thompson tells Anthony Hopkins that she can't come back to Darlington Hall and he realizes hope of a romance is lost.

Shadowlands- Another Anthony Hopkins tear jerker. After his wife's death he sits in the attic with his adopted son and his son wishes he could see his mother one more time. Hopkins "Me too" sends me for the kleenex

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
One that gets me everytime is The Royal Tenenbaums. When Royal gives Chas the Dalmatian because his dog just got killed and Chas says "It's been a real bad year, Dad." What a great moment and Stiller pulls it off so well.

-Dean-

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A lot of good movies mentioned, but virtually none of them gets me that way. The closest one mentioned so far for me is probably Untamed Heart. So, the ones that get me at the end...

Immortal Beloved

The Man in the Moon

Waking the Dead

Carlito's Way

City of Angels

Fiddler on the Roof

Cinema Paradiso

That's a good enough start.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Okay, you're all going to laugh at this one, but I have my reasons for choosing it...

"Casper", the 1995 movie starring Bill Pullman and Christina Ricci. While ostensibly a comedy (it was written by Sherri Stoner and Deanna Oliver, former members of the seminal L.A comedy team The Groundlings), there were some genuinely heart-wrenching moments in this piece.

The whole movie is about dealing with death, and this film served as a kind of catharsis for me.

The reason why? 1 and 3/4 months before the movie was released in May of 1995, my dad died of a heart attack. I was only 12 years old, and I was having a rough time of it. I still do to this day.

I sometimes wonder whether my Dad would still be proud of me...I just don't know.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Um, on a lighter note, the movie contains funny cameos by Dan Aykroyd, Mel Gibson, Clint Eastwood and Rodney Dangerfield.

P.S to the P.S:

This movie desperately needs to be on DVD, stacked with a widescreen transfer and features out the ying-yang.

Jacinto

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacinto
A lot of really good mentions already.

A few that get me every damn time I see 'em:

The Abyss - the drowning/resuscitation scene.
Forrest Gump - Forrest at Jenny's grave talking about little Forrest.
Beauty and the Beast (Disney) - After Beast has let Belle leave and he says "I love her."
Toy Story 2 - Jessie's Story.
Monster's Inc. - When Sully puts Boo back in her room and leaves.

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman
Titanic - When the old couple are huddled together in the bed, knowing they are going to die together (I was glad when Jack finally went down).

Schindler's List - When the survivors and survivor's families place the rocks on Schindler's grave. Shows how saving a few turns into saving many over generations.

Immortal Beloved - The "Ode to Joy" scene always gets me. More because of the beauty of the music and the images than about an emotional point in the movie.

Casablanca - When they defiantly play the French national anthem in front of the nazis.

To Kill a Mockingbird - "Hey, Boo."

Field of Dreams - Same scene mentioned above. Great movie about fathers and sons.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks