What's new

Should I bother with this projector? (1 Viewer)

Patrick-J

Agent
A friend gave me an circa 1997 Chisholm Galaxy v470 Projector. It was free and I don't want to look a gift projector in the mouth, but I'm wondering if It will be good enough to go through the expense of putting up good quality screen. It's 640X480 4:3 500 ANSI brightness 150:1 contrast ratio. I'd use it exclusivly for DVDs. My current setup is a 32" direct view television and non prog-scan DVD player. Can I get this to the point where it will be a "real upgrade" ?

Thanks

Patrick

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Why not build a DIY screen for about $25 and give it a go? Or at the very least, shoot it onto a wall if you can.

Here is a positive quote from user reviews over at Projector Central on it's use in a HT environment.

HERE are the specs on the machine as well.

Peace Out~:D

Tommy G

Screenwriter
I agree with Ron. If you have a basement that doesn't let in much light, you'd be quite surprised at how bright it can be. I have the NEC VT540 and have yet to switch it off of economy mode for the bulb. If for nothing else, it will give you an excuse to start your FP process. Who knows, you may be upgrading in another 6 months to the X1 because it will get addicting. :D

Patrick-J

Agent
So I threw up an image on a cream colored sheet, (I was amazed that I didn't have anything large and white in the whole house) It didn't do so well in the afternoon, but at night it seemed a bit better. Tomorrow I'll go get some white poster board or something similar and see how that does. I might eventually work my way up to building a screen.

Thanks for the advice

Patrick

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks