Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

6th and 7th channels for sub?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   TylerR

TylerR

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted June 13 2003 - 05:00 AM

Are there any 7.1 recievers out there that allow the remaining unused channels to be used for susbwoofers?

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Derek Iverson

Derek Iverson

Stunt Coordinator

• 191 posts

Posted June 13 2003 - 09:03 AM

Ummm, no. You can only use subwoofers on the .1 (LFE) channel. The other seven channels are for speakers only. You can split the LFE signal and connect several powered subwoofers to it though.

Does that answer your question?
My Home Theater
My DVD Collection

“JBL S-Series + SVS = ” - Phil Iturralde
----------------------------------------------------
The Portland, OR & Vancouver, WA HT Meet Thread

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   TylerR

TylerR

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted June 13 2003 - 09:24 AM

I understand you can do that...

I was just curious as if you could use the 6th and 7th channels to power a non powered sub...

If the answer to that is no, id be curius as to why. I believe some recievers allow those channels to be used for a second room, It would seem with a simple crossover those channels could power an 8/8 dvc sub fairly easily.

Someone correct me please if im off base.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,550 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted June 13 2003 - 12:10 PM

Yes and no. You sort of answered your own question, in that these two channels would be intended to be playing from a DIFFERENT source than what the mains are playing. However, if you simply split the signal from the main input, theoretically, it should work.

Two things though: You will now be drawing more current from the amp section of the receiver, which will reduce total available power (headroom). As well as I don't think you will be able to use this setup as an LFE channel, as it will be a full range stereo signal (all that I have seen anyway).

I would say it would be easier to spend the $100-200 and get a plate amp or cheap used receiver for the sub.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein