What's new

Any Marillion fans here (1 Viewer)

TerryW

Stunt Coordinator
Big fan here. I got into them during the Hogarth era and the Brave cd. Since then I really like This Strange Engine and Anoraknophobia. :emoji_thumbsup:

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
A buddy of mine who isn't into music at all, especially obscure stuff like this, was digging Anoraknophobia while I had it playing in my car. Since then, he's borrowed Anarok in the UK, Brave, Afraid of Sunlight, Marillion.com and even a Porcupine Tree CD and has them all in his car changer.

That's right folks- I'm doing my part to spread the Gospel of Good Music.

MichaelGH

Stunt Coordinator
I love everything from Marillion with the exception of Radiation. There are a couple bits I like on there but overall it's dull, plodding, and one of the worst produced albums I've ever heard. My favorite album is most definitely Afraid of Sunlight followed by Anoraknophobia, This Strange Engine, and Fugazi.

My wife, however, can't stand Marillion or any of the other prog rock stuff I try to listen to ;)

Michael

Hi Ive been lurking for years just never registered though thanks for the welcome.
I just got a couple of their DVD's I was just putting out some feelers to see if anyone here was into them. Its great there people with good musical tastes out there still (imo)
I must admit I may have to open my big mouth some more Ive actually found some people who don't think I am talking rubbish" marillion who?"

I remember reading the issue of Kerrang that they sent there demo tape into before they had a record deal. It was all very amateur the section was called "Armed and Ready" 1981ish
They have come along way.
even Trip hop band like Massive Attack sample them .

Cheers Thanks fir listening"

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Marillion hasn't been "prog" in over 15 years.

I know Radiation gets a lot of flack, but I love it. Cathedral Wall and A Few Words For the Dead are two of my favorites. The production is a little much, but it works on some of the tracks. However, I do prefer the more "acoustic" version of Answering Machine to the one on the album.

The only Marillion album I have trouble listening to is Fugazi. In fact, while I like the Fish stuff, I just don't connect with it nearly as much as I do the newer material. Marillion.com and Anoraknophobia are two of the greatest rock albums ever created- every second of both those albums are perfection.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'm the opposite of you Mike, Fugazi is my favorite Marillion album, and the later stuff I can listen to but can't get into as much.

My essentials are Fugazi, Misplaced Childhood and Clutching at Straws.

Rob M.

Stunt Coordinator
Glad I'm not the only one that prefers the Hogarth stuff. Brave is my personal favorite, but the only Marillion I have any negative feelings about whatsoever is Holidays in Eden. The less said about that album, the better.

According to the plan for selling the new album they have on their website, they are going to try to tour the US next year. I can only hope, since I've only been into them a couple of years, and they haven't been to these shores in quite a while.

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
Rob,

I hear that opinion a lot about Holidays In Eden, but for me it contains some of my very favorite songs. "Waiting To Happen", "The Party", "100 Nights", "Splintering Heart" and especially "Dry Land" are just killer tunes.

Mike,

Radiation was never one of my favorites. Last night I put it on for the first time in months, it just really hit me right. "Under The Sun", "These Chains" and "Cathedral Wall" are great. "Three Minute Boy" by far is my favorite, in fact probably one of my top ten songs by them. The only piece I can't get into is "Born To Run".

I hope they do tour here again soon. I haven't seen them since 1997. The club in San Francisco was having major audio problems that night. At the end of the song "King", Hogarth threw off his guitar in frustration. It was actually kind of cool, it suited the performance and intensity of that song.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
The band also is trying to get fans to pay for the album in advance, like they did with Anoraknophobia, as well as for the marketing. They have the best band-fan relationship of I've ever experienced.

Holidays In Eden, when taken as a "pop" album, is pretty damn solid. My least favorite of the Hogarth stuff, but I still enjoy it.

I also ignored Radiation for a long while until I recently gave it a critical listen- including A Few Words For the Dead about 5 times in a row.

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
People always call Holidays In Eden a pop album but only two songs are really pop songs, "Cover My Eyes" and "No One Can".

I'm at work right now and don't remember the exact quote. In the book "Separated Out", Hogarth makes a comment that says "If Splintering Heart and The Party are pop songs, I will eat my guitar". Something like that. Anyway, I think it is their most underrated album.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks