Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

I am getting my Sony 36XBR450 serviced, what do I need to know?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   WillY

WillY

Stunt Coordinator

• 190 posts

Posted June 12 2003 - 12:05 PM

I am getting my TV serviced because it has developed an orange spot in the upper left hand corner after two years of great service. I bought the extended warranty for the peace of mind (I know, I know, waste of money usually) so I made a call and scheduled a visit. My question is, what should I have fixed while the guy is out here? My TV has uneven brightness when it is a completely dark screen, is that fixable? Also, when I turn the TV on, there are noticeable flashes in the screen, is this normal? I don't remember this happening when I first bought the set. Any other flaws with this set that I should have looked at? Anything I should check for? I tried a search last night, but I couldn't find any threads dealing with problems with the Sony XBR450. Thanks for the help.

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   John-Miles

John-Miles

Screenwriter

• 1,202 posts

Posted June 12 2003 - 11:54 PM

Who is servicing it for you?
Cheers

John

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   DarrinH

DarrinH

Second Unit

• 305 posts

Posted June 13 2003 - 02:37 AM

I have those flashes too. Mine is an KV36xbr400. I would only let an offical sony dealer tech work on it if I were you. Mine was hit by lightning and it fried the main board in my set. I took it to the dealer repair shop and got great results.
President of the WV Home Theater Group
http://www.geocities.../wvhtgroup.html

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,727 posts

Posted June 13 2003 - 04:21 AM

The uneven-brightness issue is fairly common to the WEGAs (I have it). Not sure what can be done about it, though. What caused the "orange spot," do you think? Sounds like it was affected by a stray magnetic field. Have you tried unplugging the unit or repositioning it? (Simply pointing the XBR in another direction could have an effect.)

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   WillY

WillY

Stunt Coordinator

• 190 posts

Posted June 13 2003 - 06:21 AM

I think it may be a magnetic field, but there hadn't been a problem with where the TV is located until now. The repair shop supposedly is authorized by Sony, I made sure to ask the Circuit City extended warranty people. I did some research, and replacing the coil might help with the uneven brightness, and a lot of people seem to get their D board or whatever replaced as well. I have read people have mixed results with having their entire tube replaced, so let's hope it doesn't come to that.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   WillY

WillY

Stunt Coordinator

• 190 posts

Posted June 13 2003 - 06:22 AM

Oh, thanks for the insights, guys...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users