Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Really need some advice regarding Toshiba 50HX81

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   GregAK

GregAK

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted June 12 2003 - 10:45 AM

I'm beginning to worry a bit. I have been reading many posts and I am very concerned that I'm going to be disappointed with picture quality when not watching DVDs.

My cable availability (Time Warner San Diego, CA) only offers 7 High Definition channels and my apartment complex has a "no satellite dish" rule.

How much will professional calibration help my cable reception for non-HDTV cable?? Anyone know any good techs in the San Diego area and what it would cost me? Since I probably couldn't afford it right away, any Tosh owners have any advice, tricks, tips for improving quality on my own? Does non-HDTV digital cable look better on these TVs than analog cable??

Really stupid question: I know very little about satellite TV - is there any way to rig the dish just inside your window and still get reception?
Thanks
Greg

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto

Screenwriter

• 2,371 posts

Posted June 13 2003 - 05:15 AM

Quote:
my apartment complex has a "no satellite dish" rule.

Legally an apartment cannot stop you from putting a dish on your balcony on a poll or something like that if you have the space to do it. They can stop you from bolting it to the building though.
Michael Alletto

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted June 13 2003 - 07:28 AM

The main problem with cable on a HDTV is the lousy picture quality is magnified by the larger TV and then exacerbated even more by stretching the picture. The best you can hope for is "garbage in, garbage out". Digital vs. analog has more to so with your local cable company than the differences between the two formats. Some cable companies have terrible infrastructure and the analog picture suffers while the digital is cleaner over the dirty lines. Other companies have a great analog picture and compress the hell out of the digital, which makes it look like crap.

But that is besides the point. Look at it the way I do - Would you want to skip getting the TV and miss out on a great DVD picture and 7 (SEVEN??? Comcast only has 4) HDTV channels just because you don't want a bad cable picure that is garbage to begin with? My goal has always been to maximize the quality picture sources and live with the lesser picture sources. YMMV.