What's new

Really stupid speaker building/xover question... (1 Viewer)

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
Okay - looks like the guys who write the books make the speakers first, then they choose the amps...

Here's what I'm thinking about for the first speaks for me (starting on a line array for a friend's basement - hey, I've got dock, deck and hot tub privileges there! - next weekend!):

My speaks are gonna be semi-budget 3-way+ towers... Here's what I'm thinking...

PE has some tweets in their flier for about $9 each. 4 ohms. They've also got some sealed mids for about $6 or so. 4 ohms too. For the low end, I'm going to use a pair of Dayton 10" woofs paralleled (4 ohm/unit - the tweet and mid are both pretty efficient, and I'm thinking that if I can stack the two woofs, I may gain a little there, and not have to pad down the tweet/mid quite so much) in a sealed arrangement (top "box" will then end up a little over two cubic feet). For the "+" ultra low end, a 250 watt plate amp and a sub to be named later, tuned to 20hz or so. Will likely do a fairly simple 3-way 2nd order crossover, and use the plate amp's xover (125hz 6db going up) for the low end. I'm guessing that cost/speaker, not counting MDF and xover components (ca-ching...) will be in the area of $300ish.

So, here's the stupid question... With those three four ohm units, how do I end up with an 8 ohm load so that I don't do nasty things to my old amp?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
You can't.

You simply don't turn up the volume when playing those speakers with that amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks