• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 michael_tac

michael_tac

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted June 12 2003 - 02:23 AM

If I'm not planning on having HDTV, and pretty much only want to have at entry-level home theater for watching DVD's, what resolution is acceptable? Originally I thought I needed XGA, but now I'm thinking that if DVD's are only double the number of TV line scans, that even an 800x600 resolution would be enough (I'm looking at an older LCD projector). I know that some HD-DVD's exist, but not enough to make it a must-have.

Certainly I'll use a progressive-scan DVD player, but if I'm not using it for high-resolution computer display or HDTV, will I get any benefit by trying to find something that supports 1024x780?

Thx,

Tac

#2 of 4 Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,406 posts

Posted June 12 2003 - 06:28 AM

For DVD watching, 800 x 600 is normally enough. Most data projectors automatically treat the incoming progressive scan DVD input as regular VGA and scale it up to fill the projector's "raster".

There are a few idiosyncrasies you may or may not run into.

1. The incoming 480p is forced to 640 x 480 and then converted to 800 x 600. This loses some of the horizontal resolution which was originally (approx) 720 across. Ideally it should break up the incoming scan lines directly into 800 pixels each.

2. Somehow you cause the projector to display a constant height picture with dark side bars for 4:3 pictures and full width for wide screen (this is done for personal preference only and usually requires an external scaler). The projector will be using only its inner 600 pixels across for 4:3 material causing loss of horizontal resolution. If you want a constant height picture, you would need 1024 x 768.

Also either the DVD player must output RGB or the projector must accept YUV (Y/Pb/Pr) otherwise the colors will be wrong.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.c...ynejr/video.htm

#3 of 4 Ron Krebs

Ron Krebs

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted June 18 2003 - 08:51 AM

I don't believe there are ANY HD-DVD's yet as Sony is still in the beta test (so to speak) with their blue lazer. You might be talking about the Super-bit line, which is far from HD. But one thing to remember is that in the next 2 years or so virtually EVERYTHING dvd will eventualy be HD or Blue lazer, Blue ray, and whatever else they can think of to call it. Just don't get that buyers remorse, where you are telling yourself that you wished that you would have spent the extra money and gotten something that will be compatable in the near future.

Ron

#4 of 4 Greg_R

Greg_R

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted June 19 2003 - 06:30 AM

The new edition of the T2 DVD has HD content (although the format is not HD-DVD/blue laser/etc).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users