Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone have a Sony GrandWega60" and Monsters Inc?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 Cris K

Cris K

Agent

• 34 posts

Posted June 11 2003 - 02:47 PM

The case says that this movie is 1.85:1 and from what I have read in my search, it seems that nobody has noticed otherwise. However, when I came home the other night, my wife was watching it and it filled the frame(no mattes).

I would swear that I watched something else recently that was 1.85 and I could still see a tiny matte at the top and bottom of the screen.

Has anyone else noticed this? Does a 1.85 picture fill up the frame on this TV? Is there that much overscan? It's no biggie to me, just curious...

-cris

edit: oh! and yes I did cycle through the zoom settings to make sure we were in "full" and not any of the zoom modes.

#2 of 5 Cris K

Cris K

Agent

• 34 posts

Posted June 12 2003 - 02:49 PM

dang....nobody?

How about any 16x9 set? Do you usually see the bars on 1.85 movies?

-cris

#3 of 5 Ottis Fletcher

Ottis Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator

• 122 posts

Posted June 12 2003 - 03:53 PM

Most 1.85:1 movies seem to fill a 1.78:1 screen with no mattes.

#4 of 5 John-Miles

John-Miles

Screenwriter

• 1,201 posts

Posted June 13 2003 - 10:41 AM

yeah your overscan might have eaten up the bars, and maybe the movie isn't exactly 1:85 but they said that cause people are familiar with that instead of saying somethign like 1:80 I dont know im guessing
Cheers

John

#5 of 5 Cris K

Cris K

Agent

• 34 posts

Posted June 13 2003 - 11:50 AM

thanks...
I just watched Gremlins last night and same thing: no bars.

Perhaps the other movie I watched (can't remember which one Posted Image ) was a little bit more than 1:85, or maybe it was because it was not anamorphic and the "zoom" on my TV displays a little differently.

Come to think of it, it might have been TOP GUN which is definitely not "enhanced for 16x9" TV's.

Still learning the consumer 16x9 ropes Posted Image

-cris