-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone have a Sony GrandWega60" and Monsters Inc?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 Cris K

Cris K

Agent

• 34 posts

Posted June 11 2003 - 02:47 PM

The case says that this movie is 1.85:1 and from what I have read in my search, it seems that nobody has noticed otherwise. However, when I came home the other night, my wife was watching it and it filled the frame(no mattes).

I would swear that I watched something else recently that was 1.85 and I could still see a tiny matte at the top and bottom of the screen.

Has anyone else noticed this? Does a 1.85 picture fill up the frame on this TV? Is there that much overscan? It's no biggie to me, just curious...

-cris

edit: oh! and yes I did cycle through the zoom settings to make sure we were in "full" and not any of the zoom modes.

#2 of 5 Cris K

Cris K

Agent

• 34 posts

Posted June 12 2003 - 02:49 PM

dang....nobody?

How about any 16x9 set? Do you usually see the bars on 1.85 movies?

-cris

#3 of 5 Ottis Fletcher

Ottis Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator

• 122 posts

Posted June 12 2003 - 03:53 PM

Most 1.85:1 movies seem to fill a 1.78:1 screen with no mattes.

#4 of 5 John-Miles

John-Miles

Screenwriter

• 1,201 posts

Posted June 13 2003 - 10:41 AM

yeah your overscan might have eaten up the bars, and maybe the movie isn't exactly 1:85 but they said that cause people are familiar with that instead of saying somethign like 1:80 I dont know im guessing
Cheers

John

#5 of 5 Cris K

Cris K

Agent

• 34 posts

Posted June 13 2003 - 11:50 AM

thanks...
I just watched Gremlins last night and same thing: no bars.

Perhaps the other movie I watched (can't remember which one Posted Image ) was a little bit more than 1:85, or maybe it was because it was not anamorphic and the "zoom" on my TV displays a little differently.

Come to think of it, it might have been TOP GUN which is definitely not "enhanced for 16x9" TV's.

Still learning the consumer 16x9 ropes Posted Image

-cris