Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Low Cost DVD-R discs?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   GregK

GregK

Supporting Actor

• 965 posts

Posted June 11 2003 - 02:43 PM

I know Office Depot recently had a sale on Verbatum DVD-Rs, but the occasional sale aside, does anyone have any tips on where to buy brand name DVD-R blanks (Maxell, Verbatum etc..) at a somewhat decent price?

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Gary_E

Gary_E

Second Unit

• 370 posts

Posted June 12 2003 - 06:55 AM

Greg,
Aside from last week's Office Depot sale on Verbatim media, the average price from a retail store for name brand DVD-Rs seems to be about $2.00 each.

This week for example, Office Depot has Memorex 2x DVD-R for $15.00 for a 5 pack: buy two 5 packs get a third 5 pack free. 15 discs for $30.00 - that seems to be the best deal around.

There are some cheaper no name media that can be had for under a buck but my experience is they're trash. I've encountered lots of burn failures because of the inferior dyes used on these discs.

I just ordered from www.supermediastore.com the following:

Combo: Authentic Ritek 4.7GB 4X DVD-R media Silver/ Purple 100 Pack + 100 DVD Cases Free Shipping 204.00

Subtotal: 204.00
Tax: 0.00
Total: 204.00

I've read many good reviews on Ritek media and am anxiously awaiting their arrival. I follow up with a post regarding Ritek's performance.

Regards,
-Gary

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   GregK

GregK

Supporting Actor

• 965 posts

Posted June 12 2003 - 02:33 PM

Thanks for the tips Gary! I also look forward to hearing your Ritek DVD-R report.

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Gary_E

Gary_E

Second Unit

• 370 posts

Posted June 14 2003 - 12:59 AM

I've only had the opportunity to burn 6 discs so far and as I suspected, all went well, without a hitch. I burned approx. 90 minutes of video to a disc in under 15 minutes.

It took 6 days to get the discs/cases but considering the shipping was free, I can't complain. The discs come on spindles of 25, with a warning label concerning compatibility with 4X burners. There are compatibility charts available on Supermedia's site.
The keep-cases are shipped in a separate box and have hubs similar to Amaray cases.

I've read much about blank discs at:
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdmedia

As well as at Doom9's site:
http://forum.doom9.org/

Regards,
-Gary

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Dan Brodin

Dan Brodin

Stunt Coordinator

• 141 posts

Posted June 15 2003 - 08:22 AM

My personal picks for media are TDK, Verbatim and Pioneer. That being said...

Supermedia Store has a decent deal on Pioneer 4x DVD-Rs in slim jewel cases

I picked up 50 for $145 - $15 (coupon code*: DVDRW15) for a total of $130 + shipping (~$12.00) = $142

So thats $2.84 for 4x branded Pioneer media which I would feel is higher quality that the generic stuff you can pickup for $1-$2each.

* Note the coupon code was from last week and I don't think it was meant for these Pioneer blanks, but it worked for me.

-Dan

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   David_Jr

David_Jr

Supporting Actor

• 602 posts

Posted June 18 2003 - 05:09 AM

Quote:
My office has asked me to research dvd recordable media for archiving data. They are looking to archive data on a dvd recordable computer drive that needs to be stable for approximately 10 years. The discs will not be written to again once finalized. Which is best? DVD-R, or DVD+R, or DVD-RW, or DVD+RW? What about compatibility issues with other dvd drives? Also what about durability? Cost? A search on the topic produced no information newer than 1 1/2 years old, that's an eternity in computer years. Thanks for the help.

I posted this in the computer area, but got no help. Can anyone here help me?
Dave

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Eric-S

Eric-S

Stunt Coordinator

• 216 posts

Posted June 18 2003 - 06:14 AM

I buy blanks at shop4tech.com I have bought in 100 spindle packs for $69 in the past, although I think that price has gone up somewhat. I have used these discs in the Panasonic HS2, and my Pioneer computer burner and have never had a problem. For me, they have been just as reliable as the store brands. %100 success rate.

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Steven K

Steven K

Supporting Actor

• 832 posts

Posted June 18 2003 - 08:54 AM

Hey David,

For data, I find that DVD+R is the optimal choice - it has slightly faster writing speed, and seems to be optimized for data writing.

DVD-R, on the other hand, is better for recording movies and the like. DVD-R is actually based on CD-R technology (ie, a 2048 byte packet size for data) and the data on a DVD-R is laid out very similar to how it is on a CD, whereas DVD+R uses a newer method of storing data on the disc, one that is slighly more optimized, albiet a bit less compatable with all DVD players.

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Andrea W

Andrea W

Supporting Actor

• 781 posts

Posted June 18 2003 - 09:29 AM

If you are looking for inkjet printable DVDs (like for the new Epson Stylus Photo 900 printer), check out the 4x Ritek's:

http://www.meritline...ri44xdvwhp.html

Meritline has all sorts of other media too:

http://www.meritline.com/media.html

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   David_Jr

David_Jr

Supporting Actor

• 602 posts

Posted June 19 2003 - 04:59 AM

Thanks StevenK.
Dave