Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Low Cost DVD-R discs?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 GregK

GregK

Supporting Actor

• 951 posts

Posted June 11 2003 - 02:43 PM

I know Office Depot recently had a sale on Verbatum DVD-Rs, but the occasional sale aside, does anyone have any tips on where to buy brand name DVD-R blanks (Maxell, Verbatum etc..) at a somewhat decent price?

#2 of 10 Gary_E

Gary_E

Second Unit

• 370 posts

Posted June 12 2003 - 06:55 AM

Greg,
Aside from last week's Office Depot sale on Verbatim media, the average price from a retail store for name brand DVD-Rs seems to be about $2.00 each.

This week for example, Office Depot has Memorex 2x DVD-R for $15.00 for a 5 pack: buy two 5 packs get a third 5 pack free. 15 discs for $30.00 - that seems to be the best deal around.

There are some cheaper no name media that can be had for under a buck but my experience is they're trash. I've encountered lots of burn failures because of the inferior dyes used on these discs.

I just ordered from www.supermediastore.com the following:

Combo: Authentic Ritek 4.7GB 4X DVD-R media Silver/ Purple 100 Pack + 100 DVD Cases Free Shipping 204.00

Subtotal: 204.00
Tax: 0.00
Total: 204.00

I've read many good reviews on Ritek media and am anxiously awaiting their arrival. I follow up with a post regarding Ritek's performance.

Regards,
-Gary

#3 of 10 GregK

GregK

Supporting Actor

• 951 posts

Posted June 12 2003 - 02:33 PM

Thanks for the tips Gary! I also look forward to hearing your Ritek DVD-R report.

#4 of 10 Gary_E

Gary_E

Second Unit

• 370 posts

Posted June 14 2003 - 12:59 AM

I've only had the opportunity to burn 6 discs so far and as I suspected, all went well, without a hitch. I burned approx. 90 minutes of video to a disc in under 15 minutes.

It took 6 days to get the discs/cases but considering the shipping was free, I can't complain. The discs come on spindles of 25, with a warning label concerning compatibility with 4X burners. There are compatibility charts available on Supermedia's site.
The keep-cases are shipped in a separate box and have hubs similar to Amaray cases.

I've read much about blank discs at:
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdmedia

As well as at Doom9's site:
http://forum.doom9.org/

Regards,
-Gary

#5 of 10 Dan Brodin

Dan Brodin

Stunt Coordinator

• 141 posts

Posted June 15 2003 - 08:22 AM

My personal picks for media are TDK, Verbatim and Pioneer. That being said...

Supermedia Store has a decent deal on Pioneer 4x DVD-Rs in slim jewel cases

I picked up 50 for $145 - $15 (coupon code*: DVDRW15) for a total of $130 + shipping (~$12.00) = $142

So thats $2.84 for 4x branded Pioneer media which I would feel is higher quality that the generic stuff you can pickup for $1-$2each.

* Note the coupon code was from last week and I don't think it was meant for these Pioneer blanks, but it worked for me.

-Dan

#6 of 10 David_Jr

David_Jr

Supporting Actor

• 600 posts

Posted June 18 2003 - 05:09 AM

Quote:
My office has asked me to research dvd recordable media for archiving data. They are looking to archive data on a dvd recordable computer drive that needs to be stable for approximately 10 years. The discs will not be written to again once finalized. Which is best? DVD-R, or DVD+R, or DVD-RW, or DVD+RW? What about compatibility issues with other dvd drives? Also what about durability? Cost? A search on the topic produced no information newer than 1 1/2 years old, that's an eternity in computer years. Thanks for the help.

I posted this in the computer area, but got no help. Can anyone here help me?
Dave

#7 of 10 Eric-S

Eric-S

Stunt Coordinator

• 216 posts

Posted June 18 2003 - 06:14 AM

I buy blanks at shop4tech.com I have bought in 100 spindle packs for $69 in the past, although I think that price has gone up somewhat. I have used these discs in the Panasonic HS2, and my Pioneer computer burner and have never had a problem. For me, they have been just as reliable as the store brands. %100 success rate.

#8 of 10 Steven K

Steven K

Supporting Actor

• 832 posts

Posted June 18 2003 - 08:54 AM

Hey David,

For data, I find that DVD+R is the optimal choice - it has slightly faster writing speed, and seems to be optimized for data writing.

DVD-R, on the other hand, is better for recording movies and the like. DVD-R is actually based on CD-R technology (ie, a 2048 byte packet size for data) and the data on a DVD-R is laid out very similar to how it is on a CD, whereas DVD+R uses a newer method of storing data on the disc, one that is slighly more optimized, albiet a bit less compatable with all DVD players.

#9 of 10 Andrea W

Andrea W

Supporting Actor

• 781 posts

Posted June 18 2003 - 09:29 AM

If you are looking for inkjet printable DVDs (like for the new Epson Stylus Photo 900 printer), check out the 4x Ritek's:

http://www.meritline...ri44xdvwhp.html

Meritline has all sorts of other media too:

http://www.meritline.com/media.html

#10 of 10 David_Jr

David_Jr

Supporting Actor

• 600 posts

Posted June 19 2003 - 04:59 AM

Thanks StevenK.
Dave