Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Transformers the movie... the live-action movie!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
699 replies to this topic

#1 of 700 OFFLINE   Thi Them

Thi Them

Producer

• 3,650 posts

Posted June 11 2003 - 12:54 PM

Finally, my dream has come true, as a Transformers live-action movie is in the works!

I think it'll probably be all CGI with some human characters.

http://story.news.ya....ransformers_dc

~T

#2 of 700 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,343 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted June 11 2003 - 01:44 PM

Thi

I'll be seeing Don Murphy next week at the premiere of The League Of Extraordinary Gentleman (lucky me!Posted Image) and I'll see if I can get any more info straight from the source. Sounds really cool.
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#3 of 700 OFFLINE   Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter

• 1,494 posts

Posted June 11 2003 - 03:24 PM

Oh hell yeah...
For a long time I've thought this would be a great idea, one that would really work. Technology's finally come far enough to do it right also. My only question is which edition of the Transformers do they use? I hope it's the 80s originals over Beast Wars or the more anime influenced Robots in Disguise. Give me the good old fashioned ones, although certainly update the cars to more modern ones, the VW hippie vans wouldn't look as good now. Posted Image

#4 of 700 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted June 11 2003 - 04:52 PM

There is a lot of Transformers that never made it to the states. Headmasters, Transformers Victory, Masterforce and a ton of others made for the Japanese market specifically. Robots in Disguise (Car Robots) included. Any movie made, especially with Tom DeSanto at the helm would certainly be "classic"

#5 of 700 OFFLINE   Chucky P

Chucky P

Supporting Actor

• 767 posts
  • LocationMound, MN

Posted June 11 2003 - 05:07 PM

Will Stan Bush do the score for this one too? Posted Image

You got the touch! You got the power!

#6 of 700 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,864 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted June 11 2003 - 05:47 PM

The Headmasters were cool. Didn't know they had their own animated series, but I remember the limited series comic book. I hope they make it in.

#7 of 700 OFFLINE   Ricardo C

Ricardo C

Producer

• 5,060 posts

Posted June 11 2003 - 06:10 PM

One step closer to my real dream movie... Posted Image
Man, an hour wasted on this sig! Thanks, Toshiba! :P

#8 of 700 OFFLINE   Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted June 11 2003 - 06:44 PM

What exactly do they mean by live action? I doubt they're building animatronic transformers. Real vehicles? Real backgrounds?
My Collection

#9 of 700 OFFLINE   FredK

FredK

Second Unit

• 466 posts

Posted June 11 2003 - 06:50 PM

YES!

Couldn't be happier, G1 preferred but I'll take whatever we get. It'll be great to follow this one over the next couple of years. Any information anyone can get, true or false, is welcome by me!

#10 of 700 OFFLINE   Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets

Screenwriter

• 2,371 posts

Posted June 12 2003 - 04:59 AM

I'm not really that interested in this idea since I don't really have any nostalgia for the concept, but I admit that I'm curious to know if they're going to finally explain where Optimus Prime's trailer comes from when he goes to truck mode, or how Megatron and Soundwave shrink when they transform also Posted Image

#11 of 700 OFFLINE   Dennis

Dennis

Second Unit

• 260 posts

Posted June 12 2003 - 05:08 AM

This would be very interesting.

Hey Ricardo,

The Shogun Warriors would be a great idea!

#12 of 700 OFFLINE   felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter

• 1,530 posts

Posted June 12 2003 - 06:16 AM

so transformers was not made in usa? who designed the robots?

#13 of 700 OFFLINE   Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted June 12 2003 - 07:36 AM

Transformers was a Japanese show.
My Collection

#14 of 700 OFFLINE   Greg_C_T

Greg_C_T

Second Unit

• 293 posts

Posted June 12 2003 - 08:42 AM

Quote:
What exactly do they mean by live action? I doubt they're building animatronic transformers. Real vehicles? Real backgrounds?

Hopefully something like this famous clip computer artist Michael W. Smith did awhile back:

http://louhi.kempele....deos/VWMPG.mpg

NOTE, this is from a random site as Smith's website is no longer around. Check this link for more info on the clip, if interested:

http://www.botcollec...omShowCase1.htm

#15 of 700 OFFLINE   Bruce_S

Bruce_S

Second Unit

• 322 posts

Posted June 12 2003 - 04:41 PM

Very interesting indeed. I'm not sure how they going to make it a live action flick. I would believe, they are going to use ALOT of miniatures models. Transformers back in the 80's was one of my favorite cartoons - As I recalled, these are giant machines that battles other machines and have some humans as their allies. I haven't seen the original cartoons for a long time now and the new one really sucks. I guess, we shall wait and see how this turns out.

-bruce

#16 of 700 OFFLINE   Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges

Second Unit

• 442 posts

Posted June 13 2003 - 05:10 AM

Quote:
Transformers was a Japanese show.

That is not really correct. The first 2 or so years of the tranformers toy line were pieced together from various unrelated japanese transforming toys, but the show was entirely american. In their japanese incarnations most of the transformers were originally human powered robots. This is evident if you look closely at the toys - most of them have a place for a little "operator".

After the show became a big hit it was translated into japanese and shown in Japan. Then in japan they kept on going with it after it was cancelled in the US.

Did you know that the original Megatron toy dates back to something like the mid 70's?

Mark

#17 of 700 OFFLINE   nolesrule

nolesrule

Producer

• 3,084 posts
  • LocationClearwater, FL

Posted June 13 2003 - 06:21 AM

Even if the robots are CGI, how can you do a live action version of G1 without all the original robot voices? I mean come on.

No Chris Latta (Starscreem/Wheeljack/others)
No Scatman Crothers (Jazz)
No Don Messick (Gears/Ratchet/Scavenger)

There are other deceased voice actors I left out.

It's just not the same. Hell, when I see Optimus Prime on the new shows, I want to here Peter Cullen, and he's alive.

I do wonder if it'll be G1 or Armada or maybe even some new Transformers line as a way to push that new line of toys.

And Mark's right about the history. Hasbro (and Takara) had the idea to unite a bunch of different toylines from Japan together under a single toyline in the U.S. That's why you have all those sub-groups (dinosaurs, insects, jets, cars, mini-vehicles, combining teams, etc.). They then created the TV show to push the toys. It really was pure marketing genius.

It's got me buying the Commemorative G1 reissues, only because I never had them as a kid, except for Ratchet, Astrotrain, Galvatron and Wreck-Gar.

#18 of 700 OFFLINE   Gruson

Gruson

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted June 13 2003 - 08:29 AM

G1 or nothing!!!

I want to see Optimus, Megatron, Soundwave, Jazz, Ravage, etc.....I never felt the other series were half as good as G1.

I too would prefer the original voices too. You have to have Prime's voice in it!!!

#19 of 700 OFFLINE   Kong Chang

Kong Chang

Screenwriter

• 1,632 posts

Posted June 13 2003 - 09:39 AM

Well, from what I read, Transformers will all be "human who can transform into these robots" or something like that.

It should make for an interesting adaptation.
Format Neutral Advocater
Samsung BD-P1200
Toshiba HD-XA2

#20 of 700 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted June 13 2003 - 05:45 PM

I doubt Tom DeSanto would blaspheme with "transforming humans" BS. The man has ALWAYS in everything he's done so far (Galactica remake that got axed, X-Men etc) respected the source material

Forum Nav Content I Follow