What's new

SVS 20-39PC has arrived (Long post with pics) (1 Viewer)

SteveBjr

Stunt Coordinator
First off, i'm very impressed SVS so far. Not just the product (which i'll get into later) but the shipping. I mentioned this in a previous post but i'm gonna bring it up again here. I placed my order for my Sub Wednesday night. On Thursday around 5pm i checked my email and sure enough there was a response from SVS saying my sub was shipped and the tracking number was attached (i love tracking numbers
biggrin.gif
) I couldn't believe that it was going to be arriving on Monday (only 3 business days). The unit was weighed at 60lbs from UPS and what amazed me is it was shipped for only $16! Great customer service fellas. Now on to the unpacking.
Pic of it boxed up:
Subboxed.jpg

The sub was packed very well with very nice support cushions all around the sub.
Pic of box opened in front:
subfrontopen.jpg

Here you can see the cushions that support the sub in the box.
Pic rear view of Sub just after pulling the plastic wrap off:
suboutofbox.jpg

Side by side comparison of SVS vs. old Kenwood 1050 sub.
subcomparison.jpg

Hehe not much of a comparison here.
Setup was a breeze, i read over the manual, and threw in Video Essentials for a quick sound setup. After set up i threw in a couple DVDs for a quick test. The Phantom Menace and The Matrix were first. The intro to TPM scared me. The explosion during the THX intro kinda worried me because i had read previous posts about how many people had had problems during this scene. I didn't bottom it out but be very careful during that part. Next was the Chopper Shootout in The Matrix. This sounded like a whole new scene with the 20-39. I guess there is just alot of bass my Kenwood wasn't picking up during this part because the machine gun sounded great. The explosion when the helicoptor hits the building had the whole house shaking
laugh.gif
I checked out a few music CDs just out of curiousity and they sounded great too. To sum it up, if you want an awesome sub for a great price, go check out SVS's site. So far i'm very impressed with my 20-39.
------------------
Steve,
DVD Collection
[Edited last by SteveBjr on October 29, 2001 at 03:55 PM]
[Edited last by SteveBjr on October 29, 2001 at 03:57 PM]

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
I agree! I have a 20-39PC also. I did the Matrix and in some parts, I had to turn the sub down a bit because my entire living room was shaking at about 11pm at night. Gotta love the sweet sounds (and waves) of clean, tight bass....

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
I've got a 20-39CS, but from what I understand the performance is virtually the same. It's an awesome subwoofer that you won't want to upgrade any time soon...
...that is, until they finally come out with their new SS model! Heaven help my wallet!
biggrin.gif

Congratulations. You're going to love it. It's fun showing it off to the SVS uninitiated, too!

Trevor_J

Second Unit
I've had my 20-39CS since February and I love it. Last week I decided it needed a little brother so I bought another 20-39. I thought I was in bass heaven before, but whoa Nelly! That second sub added another dimension to movies and music!
------------------
"Never underestimate the Powah of the Dahk Syhde..."

John Cain

Second Unit
I love these kind of posts!!
Thanks for taking the time to share this with us.
I'll be ordering a Ultra soon..
Take care,
-- John
------------------

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
Steve - Thanks for posting pics of the new SVS packaging. I was wondering when somebody was going to do that. My 20-39PC was one of the last to come in the old packaging which I was extremely impressed with. If you're interested in the old packaging, check out the link in my sig. I was so giddy to get mine I put up a whole page on the unpacking. (Okay everyone, on the count of three say "Loser!" :))
By the way, you did take the foam peices out from the bottom of the sub, right?
wink.gif

------------------
"The last thing I want to remembered as is an annoying blabbermouth." - Del Griffith
Link Removed
my DVD collection

Dave Vaughn

Stunt Coordinator
I have had my SVS 20-39PC since October 15th and know exactly how you feel. I am hoping a friend of mine orders a 20-39PC as well so I can hear what 2 sound like!! (He is in the process of "selling" his wife on the idea (with my help of course!!)). Enjoy the SVS!!
PS Put in Toy Story 2...it rocks as well!

John Cain

Second Unit
Ron, you are among friends here buddy!!
Nobody thinks you are a loser, we know exactly how you feel!!
I'm enjoying checking out your pics as well..
-- John
------------------

SteveBjr

Stunt Coordinator
By the way, you did take the foam peices out from the bottom of the sub, right?
Yep i got the foam off the bottom. That pic was right after it came out of the box. Thanks for the heads up tho. I've been playing with this thing all day.
The only disappointing thing so far is there are all sorts of new rattling noises that i've discovered throughout the room
laugh.gif
I've been using the beginning of the movie Replacement Killers when Chow Yun Fat is walking through the crowd. There is a part in this scene that hits very low bass and pretty much will tell you if you have any rattling in your room. Still haven't found a cure for the doorknob yet. The best solution that i've found is to just throw a T-shirt or some kind of heavy cloth over the doorknob.
The new packaging is great. It takes no time at all to unwrap the sub and it's well protected from any bumps it may find along the way to your homes'.
------------------
Steve,
DVD Collection
[Edited last by SteveBjr on October 29, 2001 at 07:36 PM]

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Steve, all.
Thanks for the lift, October has been a busy month of adjustments for all of us. An understatement if there every was one.
Still FWIW, "little things" like the much improved packaging, tougher box, "Quick Setup Sheets", not to mention about 100 improvements to the subs themselves, have kept us hopping at SVS. That box alone probably consumed 200 man-hours.
Every piece of paper, plastic, stitch of fabric and e-mail from the support staff was done for one reason...to make your HT better with the best subwoofer even remotely close in price. Nearly all is designed in-house to stand the toughest critics of all...us.
Hard to believe, SVS is coming up on its second birthday (incorporated Dec 1999!) but little that REALLY matters has changed in the company. We still have the best customers in the world, and not a day goes by that Tom, me or someone on the staff finishes another project to improve things still more.
With the advent of Bax Global as our new international shipper (Erik Kroner will never get THAT week of his life back) we can better bring all that glorious packaging and the sub inside to folks halfway around the world too. Somehow, the idea of folks like Steve here, barely speaking English but DIGGING their new SVS in Singapore, is a great thrill, more now than ever.
Thanks for the kind words, as always. You can count on one thing from SVS over the next year. Those subs will just keep getting better and better. Your support is what has made it all possible.
(That sound you hear is our competition crying in their beer).
Ron
[Edited last by SVS-Ron on October 29, 2001 at 09:57 PM]

Trey Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Congratulations on your SVS! I also have a 20-39, but mine is a cs. I remember the day when I went through my room finding all my rattles and eliminating them. Wow that was fun! Anyway if you haven't tried if try the trailer on Dr. Doolittle 2 for Ice Age, you'll get that ear to ear grin that makes you feel your purchase was more than worth while. Hey don't forget TS II, Titan A.E. and the Haunting(great movie since holloween is coming up).
Congratulations again and happy listening.

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Steve,
Sorry long day. That didn't quite read right did it?
You know what I mean though. We get messages from all over the world now, and since the English of these prospective customers is miles better than our Chinese, Spanish, Finnish, German, Portuguese, or Singaporese(?) we only marvel at the fact that word has really spread about our small company. We are quite humbled by the mere fact we're trusted to sell them goods half way around the world.
And FWIW, your English is pretty good! (For someone from Georgia that is ;^0)!
Ron

Kheng Hong

Agent
Hi Ron
Just can't wait til I get mine. There is no unique language in Singapore. We are quite fluent in Mandarin and English though.

Wil_J

Stunt Coordinator
I'll be ordering a Ultra soon..
Ditto! As soon as I get next years Tax Return that is. I can't wait!!.......Wil
------------------
My DVD's
"The rose petal floats on water,
the kingfisher flashes above the pond.
Life and beauty swirl in the midst of death."

al'Lan Mandragoran,
*******The Wheel of Time

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Ditto! As soon as I get next years Tax Return that is. I can't wait!!.......Wil
Ditto (sorta)! Actually, I'm not completely sure which model I'll get, but I know I'll be putting in an order to SVS once I get a new job! I can't wait to hear what everyone else has been raving about. Maybe I'll just have to order two of whichever model I get, while I'm at it... :)
I've already had some public and private discussions with Tom about subs, and am very, very impressed with the customer service, responsiveness, and concern for what's right for me. Keep up the great work SVS!
------------------
Scott

SteveBjr

Stunt Coordinator
For some reason i can't place what TSII is? Someone clue me in because it's slipping my mind. I tried Titan AE and it's nice too. I've pretty much fixed all the rattles now so now i can just sit back and enjoy the movies.
Any of you guys getting an SVS soon you won't be disappointed no matter what model you're getting. And you've always got the 45 day money back guarantee in case you aren't fully satisfied (but you will be!).
I do have a question that i meant to bring up yesterday. In the owner's manual it says not to use the volume control on the back of the Sub to lower your output, but instead use the receiver's settings. I have mine set to a little over half but the book recommends 3/4ths power. Do you think i should back off the LFE and Woofer settings in my receiver to compensate or use the dial on my sub? I don't want to get any distortion so i'm just curious what you guys think is best.
------------------
Steve,
DVD Collection
[Edited last by SteveBjr on October 30, 2001 at 02:01 PM]

Shaun

Second Unit
Hey all!
I just received my sub (SVS20-39PC) on Monday! Let me just say my cheeks are still sore from the experience
blush.gif
The bass was so tight and so powerful that my face was litterally vibrating.
My expectations were high for this sub and to some extent maybe I was expecting a little more. My only subwoofer experience lies with my previous Infinity BU-120 subwoofer and the incredibly powerful subwoofers that we all experience at movie theaters.
But once I got the SVS calibrated using the spl meter, this thing rocked. It's true, you can literally feel the bass waves hitting you like a gust of wind.
Delivery was quick. I ordered last Monday, and received it the following Monday. First reaction - "Damn that's a big ass box". This sucker was heavy. Not that heavy, mind you, but carrying it upstairs from the front door was a workout. I still don't know where to put the box
rolleyes.gif

After hookup and calibration I threw in a DVD. I start with U-571. Incredible. Then Titan A.E.. Oh, my chest. Finally, Star Wars TPM. There goes the house.
However the biggest suprise was Toy Story 2. I never understood why everyone at the forum had that movie at the top of their list for incredible demo quality bass. I never heard or felt it before, with my old sub. I finally get it now. I was missing so much with my old sub. Thank you SVS.
Now for my next upgrade...
------------------
Shawn Siref
(Shaun is my code name, Shhh! Don't tell anyone!)
Shawn's Home Theater
Shawn's DVDs

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks