-

Photo
- - - - -

Muggle Alert: Who's Ready For "HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX"?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
99 replies to this topic

#1 of 100 Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,242 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted June 11 2003 - 03:23 AM

Next Saturday June 21, the fifth book in the Harry Potter series, Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix is being released (with many book stores hosting a Friday Midnight release party).

I have tremendously enjoyed the first four books and eagerly await the further adventures of Harry, Ron, Hermoine, Hagrid, Dumbledore, Professor Snape, Draco Malfoy et al. in year 5 at Hogwarts. At 896 pages, this book is a monster.

Most chains will have this book discounted, such as Barnes and Noble which will have it at 40% off, plus an additional 10% if you are a preferred member. I have to pick up 2 copies since neither my wife nor I want to wait for the other to read it first!

Has anyone heard of any advance reviews? Not that it matters. I predict that this new Potter book will break all kinds of records.

Remember, these aren't really childrens books. Many children are reading them, but just as many adults are too. If you are a Potter book virgin, I urge you to give them a read. They are all excellent!:b
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#2 of 100 Guest_Eric Kahn_*

Guest_Eric Kahn_*

Posted June 11 2003 - 03:42 AM

it is supposed to have the highest prerelease printing numbers of any book ever

I will buy it when I can get a copy but I will not do any Midnight line waiting

#3 of 100 Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter

• 1,011 posts

Posted June 11 2003 - 03:43 AM

I got two copies pre-ordred from the local bookstore. same deal, neither me nor my gf are willing to read it after the other.

#4 of 100 Max Leung

Max Leung

Producer

• 4,612 posts

Posted June 11 2003 - 03:49 AM

I'm excited...I can't wait for the chapter detailing Harry's "first time" with that hot Asian chick. Posted Image

Regardless, it should be a good read. Posted Image
Mahatma Gandhi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced an impressive set of calluses on his feet. He also ate very little, which made him rather frail and with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath. This made him...a super-callused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis.

Gamesh....

#5 of 100 Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,329 posts

Posted June 11 2003 - 04:24 AM

With time differences, since the official release is 12.01am UK time, that's a "normal" 7.01am here. I'm just wondering if there are any small shops willing to break release date and sell me a copy early? Posted Image

But the bigger problem is, I only have 10 days in which to re-read the first 4 books...

#6 of 100 Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,977 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted June 11 2003 - 06:40 AM

This is one of my big summer events! I hadn't read any of them when Book 4 came out, so I snickered at the hoopla! How good could they be? :sniff :sniff Posted Image

Now, my wife and I (and she rarely reads) are salivating at the Order of the Phoenix. I don't want any reviews or surprises, or anything else. Just the book in my hands Posted Image

Take care,
Chuck
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#7 of 100 KerryK

KerryK

Stunt Coordinator

• 214 posts

Posted June 11 2003 - 07:31 AM

Yee-Ming, I know what you mean! I decided to just re-read Goblet of Fire (I'm halfway through right now) and I'm *so* excited about this book. (and the third movie!)

My mom is such a huge fan she called me at work the day they announced the release date. She's Canadian but she lives in the States, and she asked me to buy her the new book and courier it to her because there's a different publisher in Canada and she wants her set to match! *sniff* I'm so proud - she's now a geek! Posted Image

#8 of 100 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,558 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted June 11 2003 - 08:17 AM

In the UK they have separate "Adult" and a "Child" editions (different cover art, etc.).
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#9 of 100 KerryK

KerryK

Stunt Coordinator

• 214 posts

Posted June 11 2003 - 09:55 AM

Yeah, they do here in Canada too. I saw the adult version of Philosopher's Stone in a store.

#10 of 100 Guest_Eric Kahn_*

Guest_Eric Kahn_*

Posted June 11 2003 - 06:43 PM

In the US, we get what you would call the Childs cover, no adult cover

#11 of 100 Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt

Producer

• 3,813 posts

Posted June 12 2003 - 03:34 AM

Quote:
I have to pick up 2 copies since neither my wife nor I want to wait for the other to read it first!

This is going to be a problem in our house too. Luckily with my wife at home with our first child at the moment I think we'll work it that she gets the book until I come home from work then its all minePosted Image

#12 of 100 Michael Toguchi

Michael Toguchi

Stunt Coordinator

• 53 posts

Posted June 12 2003 - 05:38 AM

We read the HP books together as a family aloud, my wife, daughter and I trading off reading a few chapters a night. We enjoy the reading time immensely and I am sure that the new book will be no exception!
---
I don't need no stinkin .sig

#13 of 100 Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor

• 539 posts

Posted June 12 2003 - 06:54 AM

You can download an extract from the audio version of the new book from amazon.com

#14 of 100 Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

• 1,830 posts

Posted June 18 2003 - 10:53 AM

Major spoiler ahead - read at your peril!

One of the main characters dies!

c/o MSNBC News

Read at your peril before the book is officially released!
I don't like SPAM!

#15 of 100 Peter Kline

Peter Kline

Screenwriter

• 2,409 posts

Posted June 18 2003 - 12:23 PM

There is a deluxe US edition as well, with a slip case and different cover art. There have been no reviews printed due to an embargo, but look for them at one minute after midnight on this Friday.

#16 of 100 Max Leung

Max Leung

Producer

• 4,612 posts

Posted June 18 2003 - 05:02 PM

I wonder how many hot chicks will be waiting in line when it goes on sale at midnight? Oh who am I kidding...I really want that book! Posted Image
Mahatma Gandhi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced an impressive set of calluses on his feet. He also ate very little, which made him rather frail and with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath. This made him...a super-callused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis.

Gamesh....

#17 of 100 Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,329 posts

Posted June 18 2003 - 07:47 PM

Keith, I believe that's fairly common knowledge...
the only question is who? If anyone wants to speculate along with me...

...it obviously cannot be Harry. It seems way too much for it to be either Ron or Hermione, although it's possible. I'm inclined to think it's someone like either Dumbledore or McGonagall, or even Hagrid. The only description so far is that it's a "major character", and those two certainly fit that description, yet are not so central in the greater scheme of things, especially McGonagall. In a newspaper article here, they talked about how Rowling was crying when she wrote about the death, so this suggests it can't be one of the "nasty" characters like Malfoy or Snape, or recurring supporting characters like other Weasley siblings or Gryffindors. But if it really is Ron or Hermione, I say hats off to Rowling for the guts to do it, considering the ruckus that it will create. Imagine all the distraught kids? Remember the hoo-ha over the death of Chewbacca? This would be 10 times worse.

#18 of 100 Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor

• 539 posts

Posted June 18 2003 - 10:49 PM

If you can get BBC2, there's an interview with JK Rowling on tonight where she is supposed to reveal a little more

I think Ron might the one who dies. In the "classical" context you can't have two leading male characters.

#19 of 100 Peter Kline

Peter Kline

Screenwriter

• 2,409 posts

Posted June 19 2003 - 12:09 AM

Books have been bought by several news organizations including the New York Daily News which is being sued for publishing parts of the book yesterday. USA Today says they purchased a copy as well but have not published any excerpts.

#20 of 100 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,501 posts

Posted June 19 2003 - 12:36 AM

A couple of women in Canada managed to buy the book on June 12.