What's new

Muggle Alert: Who's Ready For "HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX"? (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Next Saturday June 21, the fifth book in the Harry Potter series, Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix is being released (with many book stores hosting a Friday Midnight release party).

I have tremendously enjoyed the first four books and eagerly await the further adventures of Harry, Ron, Hermoine, Hagrid, Dumbledore, Professor Snape, Draco Malfoy et al. in year 5 at Hogwarts. At 896 pages, this book is a monster.

Most chains will have this book discounted, such as Barnes and Noble which will have it at 40% off, plus an additional 10% if you are a preferred member. I have to pick up 2 copies since neither my wife nor I want to wait for the other to read it first!

Has anyone heard of any advance reviews? Not that it matters. I predict that this new Potter book will break all kinds of records.

Remember, these aren't really childrens books. Many children are reading them, but just as many adults are too. If you are a Potter book virgin, I urge you to give them a read. They are all excellent!:b

E

Eric Kahn

it is supposed to have the highest prerelease printing numbers of any book ever

I will buy it when I can get a copy but I will not do any Midnight line waiting

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
I got two copies pre-ordred from the local bookstore. same deal, neither me nor my gf are willing to read it after the other.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I'm excited...I can't wait for the chapter detailing Harry's "first time" with that hot Asian chick. :D

Regardless, it should be a good read. :)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
With time differences, since the official release is 12.01am UK time, that's a "normal" 7.01am here. I'm just wondering if there are any small shops willing to break release date and sell me a copy early? :D

But the bigger problem is, I only have 10 days in which to re-read the first 4 books...

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
This is one of my big summer events! I hadn't read any of them when Book 4 came out, so I snickered at the hoopla! How good could they be? :sniff :sniff :D

Now, my wife and I (and she rarely reads) are salivating at the Order of the Phoenix. I don't want any reviews or surprises, or anything else. Just the book in my hands ;)

Take care,
Chuck

KerryK

Stunt Coordinator
Yee-Ming, I know what you mean! I decided to just re-read Goblet of Fire (I'm halfway through right now) and I'm *so* excited about this book. (and the third movie!)

My mom is such a huge fan she called me at work the day they announced the release date. She's Canadian but she lives in the States, and she asked me to buy her the new book and courier it to her because there's a different publisher in Canada and she wants her set to match! *sniff* I'm so proud - she's now a geek! ;)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
In the UK they have separate "Adult" and a "Child" editions (different cover art, etc.).

KerryK

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, they do here in Canada too. I saw the adult version of Philosopher's Stone in a store.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I have to pick up 2 copies since neither my wife nor I want to wait for the other to read it first!
This is going to be a problem in our house too. Luckily with my wife at home with our first child at the moment I think we'll work it that she gets the book until I come home from work then its all mine:D

Michael Toguchi

Stunt Coordinator
We read the HP books together as a family aloud, my wife, daughter and I trading off reading a few chapters a night. We enjoy the reading time immensely and I am sure that the new book will be no exception!

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
There is a deluxe US edition as well, with a slip case and different cover art. There have been no reviews printed due to an embargo, but look for them at one minute after midnight on this Friday.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I wonder how many hot chicks will be waiting in line when it goes on sale at midnight? Oh who am I kidding...I really want that book! :)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Keith, I believe that's fairly common knowledge... the only question is who? If anyone wants to speculate along with me...

...it obviously cannot be Harry. It seems way too much for it to be either Ron or Hermione, although it's possible. I'm inclined to think it's someone like either Dumbledore or McGonagall, or even Hagrid. The only description so far is that it's a "major character", and those two certainly fit that description, yet are not so central in the greater scheme of things, especially McGonagall. In a newspaper article here, they talked about how Rowling was crying when she wrote about the death, so this suggests it can't be one of the "nasty" characters like Malfoy or Snape, or recurring supporting characters like other Weasley siblings or Gryffindors. But if it really is Ron or Hermione, I say hats off to Rowling for the guts to do it, considering the ruckus that it will create. Imagine all the distraught kids? Remember the hoo-ha over the death of Chewbacca? This would be 10 times worse.

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
If you can get BBC2, there's an interview with JK Rowling on tonight where she is supposed to reveal a little more

I think Ron might the one who dies. In the "classical" context you can't have two leading male characters.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Books have been bought by several news organizations including the New York Daily News which is being sued for publishing parts of the book yesterday. USA Today says they purchased a copy as well but have not published any excerpts.

Users who are viewing this thread