Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Sony announces $11,000 36" TV

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   Jeremy Tebo

Jeremy Tebo

Stunt Coordinator

• 74 posts

Posted June 10 2003 - 09:05 AM

CNN

Whaddya think? Who's getting one first?

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted June 10 2003 - 09:40 AM

This is sort of being discussed (or, rather, the Qualia brand) in a thread in A/V Sources. I'll let this one stand, though.

But what an awful name. Why not "Excellentia" or "Supremia" or "Awesomia" or "Fantasticia" or ...

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   EdR

EdR

Second Unit

• 432 posts

Posted June 10 2003 - 09:57 AM

Quote:
But what an awful name. Why not "Excellentia" or "Supremia" or "Awesomia" or "Fantasticia" or ...

It's a funny name, especially for anyone with a background in modern philosophy of mind, since the term "Qualia" has been discussed and argued in this field for several decades. The term was coined by the philosopher W. Quine.

A rough definition is the characteristics of your subjective sensory experience, for instance the exact qualities of "red" you experience when you look at a red apple, the gustatory experience you have when you taste an apple, etc. These are called 'qualia'

EDIT: If anyone's curious (hey, it's possible!), I found a definition in a dictionary of philosophy:

http://www.philosoph...es.com/dy/q.htm

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter

• 1,224 posts

Posted June 10 2003 - 10:08 AM

Hey, I like the name. I'm interested in seeing a photo of the product, though. Sounds pretty sweet! Now it's time for me to take out a loan for $11,000.00.

Yeah...this loan is for...errr...an investment...yeah, that's it! An in...vest...ment. Yup. Mmm-hmmm. Posted Image

#5 of 15 ONLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,537 posts

Posted June 10 2003 - 12:41 PM

I very much doubt that any 36" set can match the picture quality of my $6k front projector. Posted Image

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   Jeremy Tebo

Jeremy Tebo

Stunt Coordinator

• 74 posts

Posted June 11 2003 - 03:45 AM

I'm not sure what I make of the "Qualia" name. Now that I know the meaning (thanks Ed), it sounds a little better. I'd have to go with Jack's "Awesomia" though. Or maybe Spectaculia.

Brian, I think you should go for it. You may need to take a quick trip to Tokyo if you don't want to wait, but I'm sure it would be worth it. Posted Image The screen shots you could post here would be worth it alone.

I very much doubt that any $6k projector can match the quality of a $11k 36" set. Not to mention their new $20k projector. But I'm sure you $6k projector is super.

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   Dmitry

Dmitry

Supporting Actor

• 743 posts

Posted June 11 2003 - 04:53 AM

Quote:
I very much doubt that any 36" set can match the picture quality of my $6k front projector.
Except in a direct sunlight, of course Posted Image
My DVDs

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   Scott Barnhart

Scott Barnhart

Stunt Coordinator

• 204 posts

Posted June 11 2003 - 09:08 AM

Quote:

I was thinking "P.T. Barnumia"...
Scott Barnhart

#9 of 15 ONLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,537 posts

Posted June 11 2003 - 10:39 AM

Quote:
I very much doubt that any $6k projector can match the quality of a $11k 36" set.

I forgot to mention that it's really a $22k projector that I only paid $6k for. Posted Image

Quote:
Except in a direct sunlight, of course

Bah, I never do serious movie watching with lots of light. It doesn't match what's done in theaters. Posted Image

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   Dmitry

Dmitry

Supporting Actor

• 743 posts

Posted June 11 2003 - 10:45 AM

You misquoted me by dropping the smiley, but as a happy owner of a Sony D50Q I side with you anyway Posted Image Plus, TV doesn't match what's done in theaters to begin with Posted Image
My DVDs

#11 of 15 ONLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,537 posts

Posted June 11 2003 - 11:26 AM

Sorry Dmitry, smilies don't copy well. Posted Image And we can't match film at home, but we can at least try to replicate movie theater conditions as closely as possible. Posted Image

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   Dmitry

Dmitry

Supporting Actor

• 743 posts

Posted June 11 2003 - 12:19 PM

Minus the smell of burned popcorn, chewing gum stuck to the seat, cell phone calls and crying babies — I say it's well worth it!
My DVDs

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   alan halvorson

alan halvorson

Screenwriter

• 2,021 posts

Posted June 11 2003 - 02:07 PM

One does wonder about that $20,300 projector - might this be the price of the coming SXRD projector?
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   keith jay

keith jay

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted June 11 2003 - 06:30 PM

how about peculia or qualudia?
aloha, keith

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   John-Miles

John-Miles

Screenwriter

• 1,201 posts

Posted June 11 2003 - 10:45 PM

how about " look at this shiny bauble while we take you for everything your stupid enough to ahve"

or is that to bitter, maybe just crapulence would do?

seriously this really makes me think they are just trying to sell products to people who have too much money.

Its like one article i read about some guy who bought 4000 dollar line filters to make sure the electricity going to his stereo did not suffer if the fridge cut in..... really, come on 500 dollars would ahve had an electrician put in a dedicated line. but it really would not look as cool.
Cheers

John

Back to Display Devices (TVs/Projectors/Screens)

Forum Nav Content I Follow