What's new

Anybody know anything about the Conan the Barbarian Box set? (1 Viewer)

Ted Ross

Second Unit
I see on Best Buy & Circuit City's websites that a Conan the Barbarian & Conan the Destroyer are coming in a box set July 1. Anybody know anything on this set? Will Destroyer be an anamorphic transfer?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
These each have had a price drop. I've seen them locally for 2 for $30 specials (maybe $40).

that said, how is the collectors edition of Conan? I know it's not anamorphic, but if it's comparable to the quality of the Thing, I'd pick it up.

Haden

Supporting Actor
And the John Milius/Arnold S. commentary is really entertaining and often funny...

Arnold (while watching the Conan/witch sex scene): "Wow, I got laid a lot in this film" :)

The many extras are nice too. Loved the documentary. It just sucks that the movie is only Dolby 2.0 mono.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Holy Crikes! I'm so picking this up now!
Thanks for the word, and the extra hit to the pocket book!;)

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Conan CE transfer is really nice, with a bit of new footage to boot.

Beware the first Conan DVD release, which was not 16x9 (like Destroyer).

Budget box set *could* be pairing of the two old transfers..leaving the CE version higher priced.

Conan CE is one the few movies that I really broke the piggy bank for.

At my BB, it was priced at $27 and I was unable to find a used copy at my usual locations (just the old version).

Prospective buyers should be aware that Conan is 'still mono after all these years'.

I've still got a lot of mixed feelings about CE and wonder if there won't be a better release (stereo? please?) later...

Here's another Conan thread...

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=117765

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
Conan the Barbarian: Collector's Edition is a wonderful disc -- very good transfer, most assuredly anamorphic, and the additional material, while short, brings the princess into the end of the picture and works wonderfully (I haven't A/B'd it with the original cut, so if I've overlooked any other additions or misremember the original ... sorry :) The new cut feels terrific, though, and all footage is seamless in quality with the original -- I believe this cut represents the original European release of the film, so unlike the new Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, for instance, the extensions are still true to the film's theatrical history). I highly recommend it to fans of the Samarian.

I seem to be the only guy on the planet who absolutely loves the sequel, though. I maintain that it's a rollicking good time, and I'd love to see the anamorphic special edition of the film that was released overseas make its way to Region 1 and NTSC (or a SE of it, at any rate, whether the same or otherwise). The current movie-only Region 1 edition is at least OAR, but it's non-anamorphic. Keep in mind that the wonderful director Richard Fleischer (20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, The Vikings, Tora! Tora! Tora!) crafted this picture (and, yes, Red Sonja :D), so, hey ... I feel okay about loving it. Heh. But as to that overseas special edition, I believe it was released by another studio (one who holds distribution rights overseas), rather than Universal, so bringing that SE to the States and Canada might be a challenge ... fit for a barbarian king. Cough. Sorry.

A quote from the movie, or Conan's Q&A with the media after accepting his Humanitarian of the Year Award? You decide:

“Conan, what is best in life?”
“To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lament of their women.”

And here I was hoping they'd ask him "Coke or Pepsi?" ....

Trevor H

Second Unit
I seem to be the only guy on the planet who absolutely loves the sequel, though. I maintain that it's a rollicking good time, and I'd love to see the anamorphic special edition of the film that was released overseas make its way to Region 1
Your not alone.

Jack_TN

Stunt Coordinator
Hmm.... I even liked the sequel better than the original. Guess that means I'm weird :D

Jack

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Just to help set things back on course, I consider the sequel to be an annoying, worthless, made-by-committee-of movie-execs pile of crap. :)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
the real story behind conan the destroyer.. was that the studio cut the movie for a PG rating, and universal has the uncut R rated version.. I know this, because actress sarah douglas talked about it in a 1986 starlog magazine.. she had some great scenes left on the cutting room floor..I am working on getting the uncut version released on dvd.. MGM released a special edition ofconan the destroyer for region 2-4. its enhanced for widescreen and includes some extra features like commentary and documentaries.. see my site for more details: www.angelfire.com/ca4/sarahdouglas about seeing the uncut version and a review of the german conan the destroyer se dvd.
does this price drop mean that a new version of conan the destroyer is in the works? there is a petition for conan the destroyer in the feedback to the studios.

JACOB
here is the link to the conan the destroyer petition.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...=&pagenumber=1

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Add me to the list of weirdos who love the sequel and are not ashamed to admit it.

David_N

Stunt Coordinator
I love the sequel too.

Grab him and take him. Take him, like that.

Signed the petition.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
It's a damn shame that the Destroyer SE has not made it to US (or English) shores, as there are many fans who'd love an SE of this movie. I couldn't wait however, and picked up the R4 box set which includes both Conan movies in anamorphic widescreen with 5.1 audio and some great extras for each movie. They're also both free of numerous cuts made by the BBFC (Destroyer was cut by 28 secs over here!) which can sometimes end up on the Aussie versions of Fox/MGM dvds like Tomorrow Never Dies and the Hot Shots! movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks