Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HDTV Newbie Needs Help

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 of 1 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted June 09 2003 - 05:01 AM

Hello.

Generally, I would do a little research on my own before I just willy-nilly posted a plea for help here, and I guess I have, to a degree, but for some reason the area of HDTV has always daunted me.

My wife, bless her soul, said I could get HDTV for Father's Day. Posted Image Naturally, I aim to take her up on her offer. The problem? I don't really know where to begin.

I already have DirecTV hooked up in the family room and master bedroom, and I plan to now add HDTV DirecTV to the home theater room.

The set I have up there is a little old, a Mitsubishi WS-55905, but I like it, and I just had it ISF calibrated by Chuck Williams. In that calibration, he had to adjust the geometry of the 480 input to compensate for the picture shifting done by my Pioneer DV-47Ai, so I would really like a receiver/tuner that can up-convert everything to 1080, so I won't have to mess with the geometry further.

A Zenith model was recommended, but I am unsure of the exact one. The one I am looking at is the Zenith HD-SAT520. I seem to remember pricing one at around $800. Is this the same model, and, more importantly, is this the model I want?

Also, are there any other considerations I should make?

Many thanks in advance.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.