Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Is loud bass as damaging to your ear as loud treble?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Jonny K

Jonny K

Second Unit

• 375 posts

Posted June 08 2003 - 06:08 PM

Loud bass doesn't hurt my ears like loud treble does. If I listen to treble at high volumes, my ears are screaming. But I can easily listen to bass at loud volumes (110dB for example). Is the bass as damaging to my hearing as the treble is, or can I safely judge the danger by how loud it seems, not how loud it actually is (use SPL meter A weighting instead of C weighting)?

Thanks,

Jonny K.

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Roman Ortega

Roman Ortega

Extra

• 23 posts

Posted June 09 2003 - 01:47 AM

Be very careful, bass can be most dangerous than higher frequencies. It doesn’t mean that bass can make more damage than the highest frequencies, is just that it won’t be as unpleasant to hear as treble but it is doing the same damage to you.

There are a lot of heavy industries here were I live and people who work there are used to be in zones with heavy machines, and the first security advice that they take is that is not only the level of sound that hurts, is also the time of exposure (of course at higher levels less time of exposure), so you can become deaf not just for to much bass, but also for a continuous hum all day long.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Jonny K

Jonny K

Second Unit

• 375 posts

Posted June 09 2003 - 03:11 AM

Ok, noted. It's sure unfortunate that the best things in life are often bad for you.

Jonny K. Posted Image

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Jonny K

Jonny K

Second Unit

• 375 posts

Posted June 09 2003 - 03:17 AM

Ok, noted. It's sure unfortunate that the best things in life are often bad for you.

Jonny K. Posted Image

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Jonny K

Jonny K

Second Unit

• 375 posts

Posted June 09 2003 - 03:35 AM

Ooops, how can you tell I had some issues with the forum?

Jonny K. Posted Image

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   John Wes

John Wes

Stunt Coordinator

• 202 posts

Posted June 09 2003 - 10:51 AM

Since the lower freq's don't cause pain, the can actually do more damage sooner than the high freqs....

Simply because you won't turn it down because of the pain issue.....

Car stereos with huge subs are notorious for this..