What's new

A basic cableing question -- My brain ain't working today (1 Viewer)

Robt_Moore

Stunt Coordinator
I thought I knew the answer, but alas, my brain isn't cooperating.

I finally ordered a new receiver today to replace my old Technics Dolby Surround(circa 1988!) with a Denon AVR-883. I'm taking inventory of the cables I have, and once I have the answer to the following question, then I can buy my missing cables:

If I have a source that has a digital audio output, do I even need to connect the analog audio outputs to the receiver?

For example, LD to receiver? DVD to receiver? SAT box to receiver?

Here are model numbers, if that helps.
LD PIO CLD-D702
DVD PAN DVD-F85K
SAT SAM SIR-75

I really would like to eliminate any redundant cables (and keep a few bucks) if possible.

And I am working on my wiring diagram so it can be double checked; I may post it later if someone wants to "grade" it.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Bob

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Bob,

Generally no, you don’t have to connect the analog audio outputs for digital equipment. There are a few caveats, however:
  • If you ever intend to record any of these sources to a VCR or other recorder with analog-only inputs, you will get no audio to it if you’re using only digital connections.
  • As you may know, laser disc player is different from a DVD player or satellite receiver. Its output is an RF signal that has to be demodulated to Dolby Digital. Few receivers have an on-board demodulator.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks