What's new

Game Boy Advance Game Suggestions? (1 Viewer)

Peter_A

Second Unit
I just picked up a GB Advance SP and with it Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow. So far the game is good but seems really easy...

Anyways, what are some other recomendations on games? I'll be picking up Metroid Fusion for sure, Colin McRae 2.0, and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance when it comes out in the fall but what else?

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Depends on what you like. The GBA is one hell of a platformer system. Any of the Super Mario Advance series is well worth a play, especially if you've never played them before on their original homes. If you like Aria of Sorrow but want harder, Castlevania Circle of the Moon is an excellent game. Graphics aren't as good (although the music rocks), but it's a much harder game, and the castle is enormous. It also has my favorite magic system of the three GBA CV games as well (although Aria's soul stealing is a close second, not a big fan of HoD's spell fusion). HoD has pretty graphics, but terrible sound/music, and is way too easy. The two Sonic games are also quite good.

If you're more into FPS, Doom, Doom II, and Duke Nukem advance are all pretty good.

RPGs are well represented with the two Golden Sun games and Zelda Link to the Past (again, assuming you never played the original).

Tony Hawk is surprisingly good as well, and plays amazingly close to its bigger brothers on the full sized consoles. Graphics are different, but gameplay is virtually identical.

Also, if you're into strategy, Advance Wars is a must buy. Incredibly deep, but it gets very hard very fast. At times it gets to where you're not trying to beat the level so much as you are trying to figure out what the designers wanted you to do. That said, the multiplayer is great, and the ability to design your own levels also extends the life. You'll be playing this game for a long time, and the sequal comes out next month as well.

With any luck those will get you started. :)

Bryan_ZZ

Stunt Coordinator
Baseball Advance is a fantastic game and can be picked up for $9.99 at several places now - I have been playing it since last March and it never gets old!

Bryan

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
I definately agree on Wario Ware. There is quite a bit of replay value there.

Hmm... I've been thinking of picking up Baseball Advance, how close is it to the World Series Baseball games. I know it's made by Sega, if it's like those, it'll be here in no time. ;)

Glen

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Zelda: A Link to the Past is one of the best games I've played on any system, and re-playing it on the GBA was just as fun. You know its a great game when you a disapointed when its over, so you just start over. :)

-Dave

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Yeah, get Wario Wares, Advance Wars, Tactic Orge (simlar to Final Fantasy Tactics), Breath of Fire 1 and 2, and the Megaman Zero game, it harder then heck.

Joel Hurley

Stunt Coordinator
-Wario Ware and Advance wars are a must buy. My girlfriend and I are constantly playing Wario Ware.
-Wario Ware and Tony Hawk's 3 & 4 are the best quick pick up and play games.

Bryan_ZZ

Stunt Coordinator
Baseball Advance has fantastic fielding control and a great hitting interface. I definitely believe that the Genesis World Series Baseball games had the same feel. I am a lifelong baseball fan and VERY picky about baseball games.

Bryan

AaronArmstrong

Stunt Coordinator
I am currently enjoying Tactics ogre a great deal!
I feel it is a lot better than Advance Wars (which in
itself was very good)

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I just got one a week ago and have picked up a bunch of games. Been playing Castlevania Circle of the moon a lot as well as advance wars. Get a load of this though, I ordered Golden Sun from best buy. It got here today so I take it out of the shipping box and the shrinkwrap is cut along the top of the box so I immediately think, uh oh. I open up the box and everything is in there but the game is gone. I don't know why the hell nintendo made the boxes the way they did. The game should be centered in the cardboard in the box instead of easily removable at the top. So I go to my local best buy to see if I can swap it out but none of the stores around here have a copy so I now have to deal with returning it to best buy. They have been nice and all but not very helpful. They won't send me a shipping label to return it, I have to enclose the shipping receipt to get reimbursed for shipping back to them (stupid!) and they won't just put in a new order for me. I have to go in and create a whole new one. Annoying as hell.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
I'll be picking up a GBA in a couple weeks just for the Golden Sun titles myself, but there are a number of great other titles I'm looking forward to. One I highly recommend if you haven't played it before is Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island. Yoshi's Island is my favorite platformer ever, and a really great game. It didn't get the attention it deserved because it came out towards the end of the SNES' lifespan.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
My favorite game is Klonoa, 90% platformer, 10% puzzle, I'd say. I'm also a big fan of the Mario Advance titles, Mario Kart, and Game & Watch 4. I'm really curious on how the Space Channel 5 game is going to turn out.

MatS

Screenwriter
Advance Wars is a must unless you decide to wait for its sequel later this month

my favorite hidden gem for this system is Ninja Cop (aka Ninja Five-0)

Lowell_B

Second Unit
A ton of great suggestions so far, I'll just try to elaborate a little. Since you're going to be getting Final Fantasy Tactics Advance when it comes out (I'll be too), I can't recommend Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis enough. It's really a fantastic game if you like the Strategy/RPG genre.

I'd also recommend the first two Castlevania games, even though HoD isn't as good as the other two, it's still a damn good game in it's own right, or maybe I'm just a Castlevania fiend. :)

Also don't forget about some great Game Boy Color games, Dragon Warrior III was a blast, and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages/Seasons is really good too.

Lowell

EdR

Second Unit
You already mentioned Colin McRae 2, it's a really good game.

I'm really into arcade, pick-up-and play types of games, and my favorite is Virtua Tennis. It's a superb game, lots of fun, good for many many hours (I still play it almost daily after 3 months!).

Robert C.S.

Auditioning
If you like Super Puzzle Fighter or Tetris, definitely check out Puyo Pop. Deep, strategic and addicting puzzle game.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Are there any good shoot 'em ups? Mostly everything I've seen are platformers and adventure/rpg games.

Just picked up golden sun yesterday and played it till my battery light went red. Ok, yeah I didn't charge it the day before but still. Anyone selling extra batteries? Preferably without a screw (some kind of clip?). Having the screw there makes it impossible to be able to change while on an airplane (I doubt security will let me by with a screwdriver in my bag.)

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
I know there is a good Contra game on the GBA, along with Doom 1 and 2, Castle Wolfenstein, Duke Nukem, and I heard in Europe, this good Metal Slug like game, CT Special Forces: Back To Hell that is coming to America soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks