What's new

Question about the sound level for XM (1 Viewer)

Adam_Garris

Supporting Actor
I just got my XM radio yesterday. It's a Delphi SKYFi and is hooked up to my Sony STR-DE575 via the RCA cables it came with. My only problem is the volume is low. I turned the line out level to MAX and that didn't help much. For reference, for DVDs or FM radio I keep the receiver at ~20 max. With XM I'm having to go up to ~30. This leads to another problem. Since it's being turned up so loud I'm getting a humming sound. Like when you have nothing on but turn the volume up. Has anyone else experienced these problems? If so, what are you doing?

btw, XM Radio is great so far other than those minor quarrels

James St

Supporting Actor
The low sound level is the first thing I noticed as well. All I can do is turn it up to my desired level. I don't get the humming noise you're talking about though. My Skyfi runs into my Denon 3803 via Rat Shack Gold cables.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
I have noticed differences between Xm and CD volumes... Xm doesn't have the dynamic range of CD's, but it's not drastically different. I find if you bump the sound up 4 or 5 decibels it does the trick.... On my home system, HK 525, volumes or more than adequate, and in the car, I have no problems... Again, you need to adjust for volumes a tad.... As far as the humming, you have a ground loop issue, and can take care of that with either a cheater plug, or a ground loop Isolator....

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
You can get low level attentuators that simply plug into
the ends of the RCA cables, they are similar to F-Mods.

Check Parts Express and see if they carry them. You could
go with a pair of 10Db Attenuators and then you should be
able to reduce the XM's gain down most of the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks