Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Worth it?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   JustinGrimball

JustinGrimball

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted June 06 2003 - 06:16 AM

You have probably heard this a million times but bear with me. Check out the link in my sig to see what I have, but would it be worth $300 for me to get a TiVo? I have been considering it for a while. Has anyone tried it with comcast digital cable?

I also have that new radio shack 6 in 1 one remote.
-Grimball-
Check out the Cineplex

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor

• 545 posts

Posted June 06 2003 - 07:41 AM

Don't walk, run as fast as you can and lay down the 300 smacks and get one.

Just the time you will save skipping comercials will pay for itself in a month.

Spend the extra cheese and get the 2 tuner version.
Chris Hovanic
"Go away or I'll replace you with a very small shell script!" :wink:

My DVD Collection
My Home Theater Pictures

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter

• 1,573 posts

Posted June 06 2003 - 07:56 AM

The 2 tuner version only works with DirecTV and is actually cheaper, not "extra cheese". Certainly it's a good choice if you want to switch to satellite & locals via sat are available in your area.

For cable, the standalone version total cost is closer to $550 than $300. (refurbished 80 hr = $250, unit lifetime service fee = $300 for the software+guide updates+future software updates).

But it's absolutely worth it to get near total control of the TV schedule. Expensive, but definitely worth a try. They have 30-day money back on both the unit & sub, but I really doubt you'd want your money back after a few weeks.

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   CharlesD

CharlesD

Screenwriter

• 1,495 posts

Posted June 06 2003 - 09:13 AM

My only regert is that I did not get one (TiVo) sooner.

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Jay Heyl

Jay Heyl

Stunt Coordinator

• 142 posts

Posted June 06 2003 - 01:07 PM

Not to steer you in a different direction if you're set on Tivo, but you might want to take a look at the SonicBlue offer on the refurb 5040 ReplayTV that Parker posted about. $329 for a 40-hour ReplayTV, and that includes the lifetime programming subscription (which would otherwise cost $300). The unit is easily DIY upgraded to 200 hours or more by just swapping the disk drive (with a little magic on the PC first).

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Pamela

Pamela

Supporting Actor

• 779 posts

Posted June 06 2003 - 04:43 PM

Worth it? A resounding YES! Once you get a TiVo, you won't know how you got along with out it.

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   JustinGrimball

JustinGrimball

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted June 07 2003 - 04:19 AM

Can you watch a DVD and record on tivo at the same time?

I have my audio going through my reciver and my video going straight to the tv. How would that work with tv if i switch the audio to dvd while it is recording?
-Grimball-
Check out the Cineplex

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Vin

Vin

Supporting Actor

• 547 posts

Posted June 07 2003 - 06:20 AM

Quote:
Can you watch a DVD and record on tivo at the same time?

Yes, the DirecTV feed to your DirecTiVo would not be affected if you chose to watch a DVD while recording a program.

Vin

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   JustinGrimball

JustinGrimball

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted June 07 2003 - 07:02 AM

I dont have Direct TV. Also how I have it setup it wont mess with the audio of the TiVo?

Thanks.
-Grimball-
Check out the Cineplex

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Vin

Vin

Supporting Actor

• 547 posts

Posted June 07 2003 - 11:10 AM

Connecting your cable box DIRECTLY to a stand-alone TiVo (and then out to A/V receiver) will make it possible to view DVD while recording a program.

Some A/V receivers, however, have a feature that would allow you to record from any source connected to it while viewing another source.....if your receiver doesn't allow this you'll have to go with the aforementioned hook-up.

Vin

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   PaulHeroy

PaulHeroy

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts

Posted June 08 2003 - 05:59 AM

Don't think of the Tivo (or Replay) as a separate video source (like a DVD and a VCR), but as an extension of your cable box. Since you can watch a previously made recording while another channel is recording there's no point in keep the cable & Tivo on separate inputs on the receiver.