What's new

Fright Night II (and other horror titles) BIG FAT FULLSCREEN (1 Viewer)

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Artizan entertainment once again delivers....while not the goods, but something good in bad wrapping.

Fright Night II and a couple other horror titles are set to arrive on DVD in Full-Frame only, with trailers.... GRRRRRRRR

At least the original (and better film) got an anamorphic widescreen transfer and the trailer...

Rounding out the week's news is a rather interesting batch of titles just announced by Artisan Entertainment. Featuring a few reissues of titles already released on DVD as well as some titles that used to be distributed by other studios, cult and horror fans may find a few of these worth considering. Due for release on August 19th are: Bride of Re-Animator, The Fourth Angel, Fright Night Part II, I've Been Waiting For You, Killing Mr. Griffin, Lair of the White Worm, Rodentz and Linda Blair in the spoof Repossessed. All are presented in full screen only with no real extras aside from trailers, despite the fact that some of these had extras on previous releases. Retail is $14.95 a pop.
www.dvdfile.com

Johnny Buh

Auditioning
Fright Night II?

Fullscreen love?

I'm there. ^_^

Honestly, I don't see what's so bad about fullscreen. Heck, if I have a choice in the matter, I usually perfer fullscreen to widescreen on my old 19" 4:3 Sharp.

Will K

Screenwriter
Fright Night Part II wasn't the best sequel ever, but this was a 2.35 widescreen film. This really sucks. I'm really, really starting to abhor Artisan. Now I gotta find myself a copy of Pioneer's Bride Of Re-Animator.

Not even going to touch the above post.

Howard Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
When I read this news this morning it made me sick to my stomach...especially considering how much I love Lair of the White Worm...very disappointing Artisan.

H

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
In the words of the Comic Book Guy,
Artisan=Worst Studio Ever

Honestly, I don't see what's so bad about fullscreen.
Don't see what's so bad? What about the fact that they zoom the picture in and lop off the sides leaving you with a boring square? Or how about the fact that the director's vision is lost right off the bat? 1.85:1 films don't look that bad in fullscreen, I'll give them that, but 2.35:1 is unwatchable in fullscreen. I used to watch every form of widescreen on a 13 inch TV and it never bothered me.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Now I gotta find myself a copy of Pioneer's Bride Of Re-Animator.
The Pioneer DVD has some fantastic extras and is definitely worth getting.

But, just an FYI, it's also essentially a full-screen release. There's an option (through a clever use of the subtitle feature) to watch the film matted for a 1.85:1 letterbox presentation (as it was shown in theaters), but it's not anamorphic; it just places black mattes over the full-screen image.

Bob Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
This just sucks! I've really been looking forward to Fright Night II as a companion to the first film, and this news today has thrown a wet blanket on my hopes. If you're going to do something, why not do it right the first time?!!

Ditto the comments on Lair of the White Worm. "Artisan" is a misnomer....with releases like this, they're anything but.

:angry:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

If that's the way you feel, Johnny, you're definitely in the wrong place (and obviously didn't read the HTF Mission Statement before signing up).

I would have purchased FN2; not anymore. :frowning:

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Dudes, this bites...

While FN2 isn't the greatest, it has it's moments and you'd think with Roddy gone they could show a little respect. This would have been a must buy for me. As it stands now it's a must skip. Once again, who would buy this film? Hardcore genre fans who would DEFINITELY want it OAR, not the casual supermarket DVD buying mook, "Hey, lookie honey! A VAMPIRE movie! Shucks, gotta buy it!"

:angry: Grrrrrr.....

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Man, I wasn't even aware they made a sequel to Fright Night. How disappointing that I will have yet to see it because I won't be buying any MAR crap. :frowning:

Hell, I'm tempted to stop buying Artisan titles altogether.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Don't flame him, we shall gently bring him away from the dark side.

Johnny, for many years I was stuck with a 19" Zenith. It sucks having that small of a display no matter how you cut it, but for a lot of people, it's just reality. I too used to be a VHS, foolscreen man, but once I realized how much of the movie was being chopped off on fullscreen versions, I went widescreen and have never gone back.

Full screen is not some alternate version of a movie, made especially for square TV screens, as a lot of my coworkers for some reason tend to think. It is the exact same thing you saw in the theater, the exact same as the widescreen version, only with the sides chopped off. For the majority of movies out there, you are missing a LOT of the picture. Don't just take my word for it, pop in some dual format discs you own (full screen on one side, widescreen on the other) and do your own comparisons. On some movies you won't notice a whole lot, depending on how they were filmed, but there are quite a few movies where you won't believe how much was hacked off to fit on a 4:3 TV.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I have zero interest in any of these films, but I'm still outraged that they are not presented in OAR. ALL films deserve that respect. Bad move Artisan. :thumbsdown:

Johnny Buh

Auditioning
Well, seeing as how my original experience with Fright Night II (and many other films, for that matter) have been on late-night cable TV...I've grown accustomed to the crop.

Really, though, the definition between wide and full has never been more disturbingly clear than when I picked up the Batman (1966) DVD. Popped it in the Xbox, revved it up...and...

My god, they cleaned up everything.

...but then again, the cleaner look and the widescreen view differentiated it from the TV series I watched in my youth (Not the original run, of course).

Just didn't jive with me.

If I have a choice, I'll go with fullscreen. It doesn't matter to me whether a button on the guy's shirt is missing, or something such as that. I can appreciate a film for being a film. Not an un-editable vision that is ruined once you cut even the slightest bit.

However, if it's an epic film OR I have no other choice, I'll go with widescreen.

All a matter of taste, really. :)

EDIT: But, for the rest of you Wide-o-philes, it does kind of suck that they're not giving the choice. I guess they're going with the more widely-accessible approach, and forgoing the maybe-less-profitable widescreen release. :-

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Damn it and I like Fright Night II! Unlike Remo this film really was made in widescreen, it was filmed in Panavision.
Once again I'm hoping other regions will offer the proper ratio and maybe a few extras.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
No Twin Peaks Season 2 this year, and now only MAR releases. Artisan continues to show what kind of studio they are.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc

I bet when they do get around to releasing Twin Peaks Season 2, they will release THAT one in widescreen with fake matting.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I was interested in a couple of these titles, but will NOT purchase them because Artisan doesn't know what the hell they're doing. Shame I didn't buy "Bride of..." from Pioneer when I had the chance.

Look at my sig, Artisan owns "The Resurrected", I'm afraid....very afraid...a catalog horror title....things look bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks