What's new

Interesting HBO response to my HD email question (1 Viewer)

Randy Brist

Agent
The other day while watching Six Feet Under on the HBO HD channel via HD cablebox/Insight Communications, I immediately noticed the CC was turned on. I was confused because my TV set's CC was turned off. I eventually discovered the Motorola DCT5100 had gotten a firmware upgrade and apparently the CC was switched to ON. Previously this wasn't even a menu option. Well, before I discovered the solution, I emailed HBO. I was told I couldn't have been watching HBO-HD because CC is not available on the HBO-HD channel. Needless to say I was a bit confused. My cable box only gets 4 channels-HBO, SHOWTIME, ABC, CBS. Six Feet Under sure looked like it was HDTV. Is this a case of someone responding to my email who really didn't know what they were talking about? Any ideas?

RandyB

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Hey Randy...I'm in West Lafayette and have HD through Insight Cable as well (glad to see someone from the area). Anyway...I was watching Six Feet Under too, but CC didn't come on. I don't have it as an option, so I must have not gotten to firmware upgrade yet. As far as I know, HBO doesn't broadcast with CC over HD...so I have no idea what was going on.

Randy Brist

Agent
Matt,

Hello to you across the river! Well, I was getting CC during Six Feet Under! I went to the menu screen on the DCT5100 and noticed it looked different. There is a 4:3 override section as well. Options for CC are ON and OFF. It was set to on. I selected OFF and that took care of it. I also remember seeing an onscreen message at the beginning of The Wire (Standard Def program) about the CC being provided by HBO. I wonder what is going on? The channel sure behaves like it is HD! Now I am really confused.

Randy

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Hmmm...that is strange. I'm going to bed right now, but I'll check and see if I can get CC up on HBO HD tomorrow morning.

Randy Brist

Agent
Here's the latest...

Matt and I have confirmed we both have the new firmware that has the CC ENABLE/DISABLE- and we both can toggle it on or off. Here's where things get strange...

Today during the SHOWTIME HD showing of HACKERS, I could see the CC on my set but Matt could not. Yes, he had the CC enabled. He has a 16:9 set, I have a 4:3 set and watch HD programming letterboxed. We are both stumped.

Re: the HBO CC issue, I have a tech contact at the cable company and he assured me we are getting the HBO HD feed through the DCT5100 box, regardless of what HBO says about their CC!?

Since this appears to be a local issue, we both would welcome any speculation!! Thanks.

RandyB:

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
I have HD through Insight in Louisville. I just checked and I have the cc on my box's menu. Do you ever experience freeze ups watching HBO HD?

Randy Brist

Agent
I've only seen freeze ups a very very few times on HBO. It's more of a problem on the Indianapolis ABC station. You said you had the CC option on your box menu. Have you activated it and checked for CC in the HD programming on HBO or Showtime. Not all programs are CC, but I've found most evening movie presentations have it.

RandyB

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks