-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Cremaster Cycle playing in Major Cities (including Boston, NYC)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted June 05 2003 - 04:25 AM

All 5 of Matthew Barney's "Cremaster" films are currently being screened at museums in several cities, including the MFA in Boston and the Guggenheim. The centerpiece is the last of the films in the cycle, "Cremaster 3" http://www.cremaster.net/crem3.htm (no, I don't know why "3" was the last one filmed).

So, if you're up for something a bit different than the usual summer fare, I can guarantee you that this qualifies. Here's a review of "Cremaster 3" to give you an idea of what to expect: http://www.culturevu.../Cremaster3.htm

I'll be at the afternoon screening of "Cremaster 3" at the MFA on Saturday... hope to see you there!
"Only one is a wanderer;
Two together are always going somewhere."

#2 of 5 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted June 19 2003 - 01:16 PM

Oh, for crying out loud...

I'm sure they're good movies. But they must be going for some sort of record, trying to hit every non-chain cinema venue in Boston in the space of two months - they just finished at the MFA, but they'll be running at Allston Cinema Underground (even bumping a showing of Ichi The Killer!) and Coolidge Corner over the next week, and will run at The Brattle Theater from 18 to 20 July. I'll probably wind up seeing it 20 July, since I'll likely be able to see the whole thing for $5.50 that day, versus the $24-30 it would cost at the other venues.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#3 of 5 Kirk Tsai

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter

• 1,424 posts

Posted June 19 2003 - 09:28 PM

Jason, the entire cycle in one day? Whoa, how many hours is that?

#4 of 5 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted June 20 2003 - 02:37 AM

Seven, I think - four of the five parts appear to be about an hour each (all the Boston venues are putting 1&2 on a single ticket; same for 4&5), with Cremaster 3 apparently being three hours.

They've had The Godfather and The Godfather Part II on a single ticket at the Brattle before, and I got through that. And, if 1&2 bore me silly, I'll just bail then.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#5 of 5 Mark Turetsky

Mark Turetsky

Supporting Actor

• 832 posts

Posted June 20 2003 - 04:33 AM

I believe Guggenheim showed them all at once on Wednesdays, and it went from 10:00AM to 7:00 PM. I'm upset that I didn't get to see it and the exhibit on it at the museum before it closed.