What's new

X1 (1 Viewer)

steve_mr

Grip
Just received my X1 today. Am a newbie to HT. First I must thank all of you pros - your input led me to try the X1.

I'm still in construction on the basement for HT, so I hooked up my laptop to the X1 and played in on a lite pink (daughter's) bedroom wall. Played Star Wars and Spider Man. Honestly, we are very excited. Image was sharp, everything looked great. Have a few questions for you veterans out there.

1. Sorry to ask, but what exactly does a rainbow look like?
After seeing all of your feedback, we were all looking for rainbows - but we don't know what to look for. We (four of us)didn't see anything.
2. Was it disadvantageous to play a DVD thru a laptop? Does that provide higher resolution than a DVD player? Is that an unwise comparison?
3. The native rate of the X1 is 4:3, but you can set it to 16:9. For mostly DVD and sports TV, will it be advantageous to get a 16:9 screen? Any drawbacks?

Again - thank you all you pros. I have learned so much by listening to you folks. We are very excited - we wouldn't have know about the X1 had it not been for you's.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Steve:

It all depends. If you aren't seeing the rainbows (only about 20% of people do) then it isn't an issue. Believe me if you could see them you would notice right away. Also, I believe it also has to do with the movie that you watch. When I watched Ice Age, Monsters Inc. and Beauty and the Beast with my daughter no problem. Then I put in The Sound of Music and they were very apparent.

I would think that playing your DVDs through your laptop would be just fine. Whether or not it would be any better or worse than a stand alone DVD player is hard to say. I wouldn't worry about going out to buy a DVD player if you are happy with the results that you are seeing.

Anything that is present in a widescreen format you want to watch in the 16 x 9 mode with the unit. Any type of standard video like TV you want to watch in the 4 x 3 mode.

Also, play around with the film, video and presentation modes. There have been other threads on what are some of the better settings for contrast, brightness, color, etc. when showing a DVD in the film mode (which is the best way to watch a DVD in anyway).

Parker

steve_mr

Grip
Thank you Parker. I've been reading your threads re: the X1 with great enthusiasm and respect.

Is it true that if you play DVD's thru an HTPC that you get better resolution than thru a DVD Player?

Our HT will be used primarily for DVD, X-box and some TV.

I was thinking of a 16:9 screen since the industry seems to be moving in that direction. Any comments?

Lastly, are you using the S-video connection into the machine or the multi pin computer plug?

Thanks!!
Steve

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
Steve ....

I really hesitate to do this to you. It's been said that "ignorance is bliss" when it comes to DLP rainbows. Once you know what you're looking for, you may begin to see rainbows all the time.

The following animation is a pretty good example of DLP rainbows (albeit slowed down a wee bit). Note that you are likely to see rainbows when you shift your eyes quickly across the screen during a scene with some bright whites and high contrast areas.

Credit for this goes to "bagalee" over at www.avsforum.com
You have been warned, click at you own risk .... DLP Rainbow Animation

Scott

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Steve:

If you are going to watch TV any I would get a 4 x 3 screen as this projector does both 4 x 3 as well as 16 x 9. If it was a native 16 x 9 panel projector I would get a 16 x 9 screen.

An HTPC would give you a great picture for sure but with your use of the projector I would use your laptop for DVD or get a DVD player and then your TV and X Box otherwise.

I am using my S Video for now but I would recommend getting some sort of break out cable, if you are running progressive outputs, to use the multi pin input for the best picture. If you are putting in standard TV, your X Box and DVD you could get by for now with just using the S Video.

Once you get a DVD player with progressive outputs I would get the breakout cable to go from the progressive outputs on the DVD player to the multi pin on the projector.

Parker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks