Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Favorite Recent "SciFi" series?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   StevenK

StevenK

Second Unit

• 273 posts

Posted June 04 2003 - 11:49 AM

I use "SciFi" loosely and I list only recent and popular ones. Just curious as to which way the board leans. I'm sure many would choose to watch ALL of them, but suppose you could only watch one series. You can take whatever you like into consideration: story, action, acting, directing, CGI quality.... 1) Matrix Series 2) Lord of the Rings 3) Star Wars 4) Terminator Series 5) Marvel Collection (Spiderman, X-Men, Hulk) I would have a hard time choosing between the Matrix and Lord of the Rings (favorite book), but it'll probably be Matrix.

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted June 04 2003 - 12:44 PM

Star Wars would be my favorite. It's not perfect, but it hits the right balance between the movies standing on their own and being part of a larger story, is visually stunning (effects stunning in terms of both quality and quantity), and is filled with fast-paced action. And they're Star Wars. You can't ask me to give Star Wars up.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Lead Actor

• 9,070 posts

Posted June 04 2003 - 12:55 PM

If we're talking the OT in addition to the PT, than I would probably say Star Wars. The OT has had much more time to stew than the other films. If we're only talking about the PT, than I'd say Lord of the Rings.
In Heaven, everything is fine.
[ 2006 Films | 2005 Films | 2004 Films | 2003 Films | YMDB Top 20 ]
[ Star Wars | Sideshow | HT | DVDs | LDs | AIM: Maulrat87 ]

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,333 posts

Posted June 04 2003 - 01:34 PM

Star Wars. I absolutely, positively, need to know how Anakin fell to the Dark Side.

In that sense, one could say it's because it was the first -- note that SW:ANH pre-dates the rest. But taken as a whole it's an epic story. LOTR is after all available in book form.

Having said that, I'm now also absolutely, positively gagging for Matrix Revolutions, to see how it all plays out. Posted Image

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   StevenK

StevenK

Second Unit

• 273 posts

Posted June 04 2003 - 01:40 PM

OT, PT? huh?

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted June 04 2003 - 01:52 PM

"O"riginal and "P"requel "T"rilogy, I think.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Bill Harris

Bill Harris

Stunt Coordinator

• 133 posts

Posted June 04 2003 - 02:08 PM

ummmm....Farscape? Posted Image

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Lead Actor

• 9,070 posts

Posted June 04 2003 - 03:59 PM

Sorry I wasn't more descriptive...in any event, Jason's right. I meant Original Trilogy and Prequel Trilogy.
In Heaven, everything is fine.
[ 2006 Films | 2005 Films | 2004 Films | 2003 Films | YMDB Top 20 ]
[ Star Wars | Sideshow | HT | DVDs | LDs | AIM: Maulrat87 ]

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Robin Warren

Robin Warren

Second Unit

• 337 posts

Posted June 05 2003 - 05:20 AM

For story I would have to pick Lord of the Rings. For action I would go with The Matrix/Xmen series. (tied) For acting I would go with Lord of the Rings hands down. For direction again, Lord of the Rings, bar none. For CGI I would have to say Star Wars has the best looking FX going. For characterization, Lord of the Rings would be my pick for Gollum alone. Adding them up I would have to pick Lord of the Rings as my ultimate SCI-FI(fantasy) Series and one that I could not go without.

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Hunter P

Hunter P

Screenwriter

• 1,483 posts

Posted June 05 2003 - 10:37 AM

Definitely The Lizzie Mcguire Movie...oops, um, I'll shut up now.:b
GIR, UNLEASH THE MONKEY!
MONKEY!
"I am the Doctor of Death, and I have come to cure you of your life." --Endless Mike, The Adventures of Pete and Pete

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted June 05 2003 - 11:08 AM

Of course ther original Star Wars Trilogy. Lord of the Rings movies. The first two X-men were allot of fun. I liked the Spy Kids films too. Matrix series is out of the running because of Unloaded and the last two prequel movies for Star Wars have been nice to look at but the stories are lackluster. The first two Terminators were good but I dont have much faith in the next one because Cameron had nothing to do with it. Someone else voted for Farscape, you cant beat Farscape even though its really not a movie series its a great TV series.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users