Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HDTV and lip sync

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Doug Smith

Doug Smith

Second Unit

• 328 posts

Posted June 04 2003 - 05:28 AM

In my area, often when watching the HDTV channels, the sound and the lips are out of sync.(the sound is a split second behind) It reminds me of watching some of the old B grade Japanese flicks. What's the reason for this?

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Adam_ME

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

• 930 posts

Posted June 04 2003 - 05:45 AM

I've noticed this occasionally on ABC. In particular, their Saturday night movies.
I should really learn to knock....in case there's a threesome going on in my bedroom. - Sandy Cohen, The O.C., The Countdown

My DVD Collection

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Tyler DJW

Tyler DJW

Stunt Coordinator

• 169 posts

Posted June 04 2003 - 08:40 AM

Have to report the same here. ABC in San Francisco is often noticably out-of-sync. The same station also is plagued with a frequent ticking sound (subtle, but annoying) through much of it's programming, at least that's what I've found.

No idea what the cause of the problem is.
My DVD Collection
XBOX GamerTag: MumbleyJoe

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Douglas*A*R

Douglas*A*R

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted June 04 2003 - 02:16 PM

It might be due to something called multi-path. As I understand it, that's where a signal is sent directly from the transmitter to your antenna, but is also reflected by some object(s) so that the same signal arrives a split second later. Several things can cause it, like hills, high-rises, airplanes, etc.

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Lead Actor

• 9,070 posts

Posted June 04 2003 - 04:26 PM

I don't think so, Douglas. I have HD over cable and I encounter the same problem on ABC in Lafayette, IN. Must just be an ABC thing.
In Heaven, everything is fine.
[ 2006 Films | 2005 Films | 2004 Films | 2003 Films | YMDB Top 20 ]
[ Star Wars | Sideshow | HT | DVDs | LDs | AIM: Maulrat87 ]

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick

Screenwriter

• 2,358 posts

Posted June 05 2003 - 09:22 AM

Quote:
It might be due to something called multi-path. As I understand it, that's where a signal is sent directly from the transmitter to your antenna, but is also reflected by some object(s) so that the same signal arrives a split second later. Several things can cause it, like hills, high-rises, airplanes, etc.

Multipath causes overall reception problems but it can't cause the audio data stream to become mismatched with the video data stream. The problem has to be either at the ABC network or at the local ABC station.
Wayne Bundrick

"It tastes like there's a party in my mouth and everybody's throwing up!" -- Philip J. Fry

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson

Screenwriter

• 2,116 posts

Posted June 05 2003 - 09:29 AM

I've noticed the same thing, but with Standard Definition TV on a FOX affiliate.

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Douglas*A*R

Douglas*A*R

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted June 05 2003 - 09:43 AM

I don't think so, Douglas. I have HD over cable and I encounter the same problem on ABC in Lafayette, IN. Must just be an ABC thing.

Hmm, I'm stumped then. I don't know much about the multi-path phenomenon, but I thought I'd just throw it out there as a possibility.

Have you called your cable company and/or local station(s) about the problem?

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Lead Actor

• 9,070 posts

Posted June 05 2003 - 10:49 AM

Quote:
Have you called your cable company and/or local station(s) about the problem?

No, but it's just out of apathy. I really don't watch too much ABC, and I don't notice the problem all the time.

...now if it was happening with HBO, there would be hell to pay Posted Image
In Heaven, everything is fine.
[ 2006 Films | 2005 Films | 2004 Films | 2003 Films | YMDB Top 20 ]
[ Star Wars | Sideshow | HT | DVDs | LDs | AIM: Maulrat87 ]

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   jimmy~e

jimmy~e

Agent

• 41 posts

Posted June 05 2003 - 05:05 PM

I have the same problem with out of sync audio but I have not correlated it with specific channels. It occurs somewhat randomly for me on just about any station. I have a digital high def cable box (Time Warner) and an NEC HT1000 front projector. I do not notice it on my CRT Toshiba that is digital cable from the same feed but not a high definition box.

Forum Nav Content I Follow