What's new

HDTV and lip sync (1 Viewer)

Doug Smith

Second Unit
In my area, often when watching the HDTV channels, the sound and the lips are out of sync.(the sound is a split second behind) It reminds me of watching some of the old B grade Japanese flicks. What's the reason for this?

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
I've noticed this occasionally on ABC. In particular, their Saturday night movies.

Tyler DJW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tyler
Have to report the same here. ABC in San Francisco is often noticably out-of-sync. The same station also is plagued with a frequent ticking sound (subtle, but annoying) through much of it's programming, at least that's what I've found.

No idea what the cause of the problem is.

Douglas*A*R

Stunt Coordinator
It might be due to something called multi-path. As I understand it, that's where a signal is sent directly from the transmitter to your antenna, but is also reflected by some object(s) so that the same signal arrives a split second later. Several things can cause it, like hills, high-rises, airplanes, etc.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I don't think so, Douglas. I have HD over cable and I encounter the same problem on ABC in Lafayette, IN. Must just be an ABC thing.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
It might be due to something called multi-path. As I understand it, that's where a signal is sent directly from the transmitter to your antenna, but is also reflected by some object(s) so that the same signal arrives a split second later. Several things can cause it, like hills, high-rises, airplanes, etc.
Multipath causes overall reception problems but it can't cause the audio data stream to become mismatched with the video data stream. The problem has to be either at the ABC network or at the local ABC station.

Douglas*A*R

Stunt Coordinator

Hmm, I'm stumped then. I don't know much about the multi-path phenomenon, but I thought I'd just throw it out there as a possibility.

Have you called your cable company and/or local station(s) about the problem?

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Have you called your cable company and/or local station(s) about the problem?
No, but it's just out of apathy. I really don't watch too much ABC, and I don't notice the problem all the time.

...now if it was happening with HBO, there would be hell to pay :)

jimmy~e

Agent
I have the same problem with out of sync audio but I have not correlated it with specific channels. It occurs somewhat randomly for me on just about any station. I have a digital high def cable box (Time Warner) and an NEC HT1000 front projector. I do not notice it on my CRT Toshiba that is digital cable from the same feed but not a high definition box.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks