What's new

why do bands still do an "encore" ??? (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
this always cracks me up. i mean, you just know they're gonna come out at least once or twice more.

i guess in the olden days it meant something else?

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
The Wedding Present never did encores. Made getting out before the crush much easier. Encores seem silly to me, too.

Martin.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
an encore is kinda stupid... but id feel ripped if they never did one... and i dont know why :)

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I was at a small gig once and after the 'last' number everyone clapped and cheered a bit, then went back to the bar. After about anothe thirty seconds, the band came back on stage to play the encore, which considering the fact that nobody was asking for one was 'interesting' to say the least.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
too funny.

someone told me, it used to be a thing where the crowd would "demand" that they come back out...that was the encore. it was also only given if the band was appreciative.

oh well, it still kills me when people leave after the first finish. i hope it's cuz they wanna beat traffic, not cuz they think the band is done.

which brings up a side note: why would anyone leave before the band was truly finished! ;)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Agreed. I've been to concerts where the band played for only an hour or so. The next hour was the encore. :confused:

It even happens at classical recitals. At a piano performance in Carnegie Hall a few weeks ago, the player did 5 encores. Ugh. Pointless showboating and applause whoring.

(Fortunately the performance before it was brilliant and beautiful, so it was worth it).

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Maybe they just want a drink of water or something? Or if they drink onstage, maybe they need a potty break.

More than two encores is pushing it, IMO.

DanaA

Screenwriter
At the last three concerts I went to (exempting local bands you probably never heard of), two Bob Dylan concerts and one Los Lobos concert, all played more than one encore, Dylan had four or five if I'm recalling correctly. But, it's all understood with these groups by both the performer and the audience that this is what's going to happen. So, technically, it's not a true encore, but part of the show. Still, I'd wonder what the matter was if it didn't occur.

Michael Hall

Stunt Coordinator
Well, the last show I saw was Ministry, and they appear to be in the "we only do one if the fans want one" mentality. I've read of many stops on the last tour where they would only come back out for one more song and that would be it. When I saw them, the crowd was extremely loud and into the music, so we ended up getting two encores (four more songs total) on top of the regular set. The band (especially Al and Rey, one of the drummers) looked genuinely moved by the positive reaction they were getting from the crowd.

So, there is at least one band out there that still holds to the old-school style of encores and doesn't take them (or the fans) for granted.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I think the best encores are when the band plays something that isn't in the set list they play at every stop on the tour.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
This has always been a sore spot for me. It seems that many bands now plan the encores as part of the set list. My favorite scenario is when the the band/singer leaves the stage saying "Good Night", yet they still haven't played their marquee song or latest hit. You know that they're coming back out no matter what.

Lately, I've been seeing a lot of bands that refuse to do encores even when they're demanded. Many of these bands, hit the lights immediately so that there is no confusion, and I respect this immensely.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
It seems that many bands now plan the encores as part of the set list. My favorite scenario is when the the band/singer leaves the stage saying "Good Night", yet they still haven't played their marquee song or latest hit. You know that they're coming back out no matter what.
:laugh: Too funny, I've always noticed that as well.

Remember when 'encores' used to be 'cover' songs that the bands played? Now (as Eric) just stated, they just save their best songs for the encore.

Side Note: I'm in a local band and we have a descent following. The fans (almost always) chant "One more song!" after every gig. We now find ourselves saving one of our better songs to the end because we used to find ourselves in predicaments where people would be wanting another song and we'd have to end the night on a bad one. :D

I guess ticket prices have made it to the point where you know that most of the audience is going to be a "Die hard fan" and is going to want an encore. I don't think many people would pay $50-$100 to see a band they really didn't care for.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
Many of these bands, hit the lights immediately so that there is no confusion, and I respect this immensely.
:emoji_thumbsup:

i couldn't agree more. that is the only sure fire sign (besides, "elvis has left the building.") that the gig is up!

i also agree that most bands save the good stuff for last. it seems wise that they would try to end it on a "high note crowd pleaser", but i always think that those poor guys must be *so tired* of playing that damn song!

coldplay even made a joke about it. he was like, yeah, we'll get to "yellow", but how about letting us play some other songs too...? :D

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I actually heard this once. The belief is, that when you sneeze, you're blowing out air (and "stuff" :) ) at a very high speed. So then you have to inhale after. The "God Bless You" is meant to prevent demon spirits (or something) from being sucked in on that inhale. Or something like that. :)

David R. Hendrickson

Stunt Coordinator
misc. points:

'96: the Eagles took a 10 minute break in the middle of their 3 hour set. no encore.

AC/DC used to bring the lights up and them turn them off again before coming back out.

Judas Priest wasn't allowed to do their "molten metal" stage show (for the Ram It Down tour?), all they could use was spots and a disco ball. they only used it for "Beyond The Realms Of Death" (worked out pretty well actually!) which they only played in one or two other cities.

after the last Priest song they'd run off and a minute later you'd hear Rob fire up his Harley. encore: Hell Bent For Leather. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks