Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Stanley Cup Finals in HD

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Rob TT

Rob TT

Stunt Coordinator

• 111 posts

Posted June 03 2003 - 01:37 AM

Anyone see this? It was on ABC and looked so good. I cant wait until Comcast gets ESPN HD. I think Hockey will benefit the most from this. The picture always looks so bad. I dont know if its the color of the ice or what.

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted June 03 2003 - 01:56 AM

Yes I did. It looked outstanding. I don’t get ESPN in HD either. And I’m not sure that I’d sign up if it cost extra.
¡Time is not my master!

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Rob TT

Rob TT

Stunt Coordinator

• 111 posts

Posted June 03 2003 - 02:42 AM

I think that they did this for the people who dont have ESPN HD yet. Give the a little taste of what they could have if Comcast would sign them up. I noticed a lot of commercials lately saying "call you cable provider"
depends on how much more it was if any. Im paying $5 dollars right now for about 5 HD channels. They should make it $1 a channel. I would love to see Hockey and Nascar in HD all the time.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted June 03 2003 - 02:59 AM

I get my HD (right now) via DirectTV and OTA. OTA is of course free and as I already pay for HBO, I don’t consider that I pay any extra for HBOHD.

But if it were only $1 for ESPNHD, there would be no question. DirecTV just has to offer it first.
¡Time is not my master!

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   James Zubb

James Zubb

Stunt Coordinator

• 147 posts

Posted June 03 2003 - 06:31 PM

I love hockey in HD, I can actually see the puck all the time! I so often loose track of the puck on SD broadcasts that I often just stop watching.

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   LewB

LewB

Screenwriter

• 1,282 posts

Posted June 04 2003 - 12:08 AM

Quote:
I so often loose track of the puck on SD broadcasts that I often just stop watching.

Just look for the guy who everyone else is attempting to hit, good chance he's got the puck.

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,655 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 04 2003 - 01:01 AM

The games in HD on ABC looked great, even though I had to listen to ABC's crappy announcers. CBC's Hockey Night In Canada is much better in this regard. I tried watching ABC's HD picture with CBC's audio, but there is a couple of seconds delay on the ABC video -- the CBC play-by-play would describe a play, then a few seconds later I would see it on the screen.

BTW, the NBA Finals starts tonight, and will also be in HD on ABC.

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted June 04 2003 - 02:44 AM

Well Scott, at least you can listen to the CBC, where the announcers have some respect for the fan’s knowledge.
¡Time is not my master!

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Robin Warren

Robin Warren

Second Unit

• 337 posts

Posted June 06 2003 - 05:29 AM

CBC is hit or miss. The duo of Bob Cole and Harry Neale make me swear in frustration at their sheer ineptitude. They really need to retire those two clowns. I much prefer Chris Cuthberts call then Cole.
ABC is actually quite nice to watch. The HD really helps and since CBC is a long way from HD it is probably the only way a Canuck like me can see HD Hockey.