What's new

I FINALLY took devliery on my new Sony! :) (1 Viewer)

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
After weeks of debate and discussion I ended up getting the new Sony KV-36HS510 this morning. After watching the delivery guy's (yes, 2 average sized guys carried this bad boy up 3 flights of stairs!) almost drop my new set on the way into my apartment (he fell and I had to help lift the tv off him with the help of the other guy) I got the tv set perfectly on the new stand and it didn't have a scratch on it! :) The first dvd I popped in was Star Wars Episode 2. I gave that a 30 minute test and then popped in the anamorphic "A bug's life" disk. Beautfiul! I have never seen progressive movies anywhere besides a store so this was quite a treat for me. :b My new Sony 725P progressive player performed flawlessly as I continued to give more movies a short viewing. I'm also confident in the Monster V3 component cable i'm using. I'm confident i'm not getting any interferance and the picture seems to be confirm that.

I just moved into my apartment yesterday with my fiance' and I haven't got my game systems or my surround sound hooked up yet. I'll finally get the full experience tonight.:emoji_thumbsup:

I've got to say i'm happy I ended up with the HS510 rather than the HS500. It would have bugged the heck out of me thinking how much better the HS510 would have looked with it's wideband amplifier and other new goodies. Now I have piece of mind that this was probably the best tv I could have bought for $1500 or less. I love the new remote and I think the picture quality is second to very few tvs out right now.

I do have one small problem though. I've got a very slight bend in my 16:9 images. It bends down ever so slightly over the top line of the image. Does anyone know what the category is in the service menu that will fix this? Anyone got some suggestions? I've briefly tinkered with the service menu on my smaller wega but i'm a little scared with my new one. I'm sure it won't be too bad though.

Dan.B

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Congrats on your new set & I think you made the right choice by going with the 510. I'm sure the slight bend can be taken care of in the service menu. So I hope someone chimes in & can help you out on it. If not try a separate post on it & I'm sure you will get some responses.

DonT

Stunt Coordinator
thats a problem with almost every sony trinitron ive seen. the straight lines sometimes bend at the edges...its something you have to live with if you choose to buy a CRT sony. sorry.

i have a 13 year old sony trinitron xbr console thats been that way since day 1. if it bugs you enough id say return it for another one. after all you have to live with this set for a long time.

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
So your saying it can't be fixed in the service menu? I'm certainly not returning it for a different brand. I'm very happy with this tv.

Dan.B

AndyTod

Grip
Daniel,
May I ask where you able to purchase this TV for under $1500. I am in the Chicago area and purchased mine from ABT but was not able to get it for that price.

Andy

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
how much better the HS510 would have looked
I have the 32HS500 and have to convince myself that the wideband amplifier is just a marketing gimmick :) Seriously though with the dearth of HD programming at least in my area its not a big deal to me.

Mark

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
AndyTod,

I bought the tv at Abt electronics for $1499. I also got the 4 year warranty for $174.99. I did however pay list price for the 36HS1 stand. Here's what I would recommend to you. If you do this correctly i'm sure you'll get some money back. :)

I'd go into the store in person rather than making a phone call which they will more easily dismiss you. I would walk up to the salesman who helped you with your sale. Tell them your a frequent visitor to Agoraquest.com and you've talked to people there who told you they paid $1499 for the new 36HS510. Tell him you know of the "group buy" that they offer people on that site. Lastly, I will say at the very least you should tell them if they don't want to give you cash back that you'll accept store credit to spend on other merchandise. They'll like that offer better. :) If you can get the cash however and thats what you'd prefer than i'd push for that. I'm willing to bet you'll get what you want. :emoji_thumbsup: Let me know how it goes.

Mark Hodges: I don't want to make this a bigger issue for you but the conclusion I came to was the "wideband amplifier" is the actual video amp that feeds all the signals the tv recieves. In other words it effects everything you see on the tv including cable signals and dvd players. So, it seemes like it definitely would make a noticable difference. The guy at Crutchfield.com told me that and I seemed to notice a slightly "richer" image on the HS510 when I saw it side by side with the HS500 at my local Best Buy recently. That was the deciding factor for me. Either way though your getting a great looking 36" tv. Don't fret one bit about the set your currently own. Many people would sell a finger to get your tv. :D

Dan.B

DonT

Stunt Coordinator
daniel, you dont have to get a different model. every single unit of that model will have slightly different straight line quirks. its just a matter of getting one wiht the least quirks. it is not something common to the entire production run, just to individual units. if you got a new unit, it may have perfectly straight lines, or the lines may even be more curved than the one you have. its all a crap shoot.

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
So, there is no way to change the problems I mentioned in the service menu? If not, i'm certainly keeping the set I have now. The problem is so minor that it's hardly noticable and I don't want to take my chances with getting another one with a more severe problem.

Dan.B

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
YOu may be able to fix it with the geometry settings in the service menu. The thing about the sonys is that they don't have horizontal bow adjustment in the service menu so you have to find out a combination of things to fix it. I have last years 32HV600 and have a slight bow as well. tried to fix it but didn't get it much better. I think getting an ISF tech to play with it might fix it.

I wouldn't go to all the trouble to get a new one because most likely it too will have the same problem.

How's the red push on this set? Did you already calibrate with avia or video essentials?

Eric_C_N

Auditioning
What are your final thoughts after playing for a few days? I have mine being delivered on Friday morning. I hope I won't be disappointed.

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
Well, my initial impressions of my new tv are still the same. It's probably as good a picture as your gonna get on a tube tv. The size is great (36") and i've enjoyed many a dvd in the past 2 weeks. :) My games also look awesome and all the games i've played clearly benefit from the prgressive scan option. Even ATV Offroad Fury 2 looks great in prgressive. I can't wait to see future games like Halo 2 in 720p though. That is gonna be one heck of an experience. ;)

Also worth noting. To anyone who tells you to buy a Toshiba or some other HDTV CRT I must tell you that Sony offers some advantages that no other company even dreams of creating. I love the "twin view" picture in picture option. Zooming and flipping between channels is just great. Then you've got the favorites option which works like a dream. Lastly, the new feature i've never seen before is called "index" and it's amazing! You get a main channel in a large sized portion of the screen while the tv scans all other channels on a smaller screen on the right side of the tv. Imagine watching waht you want on the left and then you've got all the other channels scanning up the right side of the screen like a film reel. As it's scanning your actually seeing 4 or 5 different channels like pictures on a negative that are moving and updating the images. It's awesome and Sony clearly is breaking some new ground with this fantastic feature! Go to a store and see it for yourself! :)

Dan.B

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks