Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Subwoofer making strange sounds

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Christian_R

Christian_R

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted June 02 2003 - 02:09 AM

Hello friends. I am hoping you guys can help me out. I have a small living room setup with a Velodyne CHT-8 sub and everything else Paradigm performance series. The sub is making strange "static" noises when dialogue is on. No problems with big explosions or loud humming like spaceship engines. But when there is no bass, it makes a vibrating or clipping sound. I am guessing that I don't have it setup correctly. Any ideas? Thanks Chris

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Dan_Fitz

Dan_Fitz

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted June 02 2003 - 03:27 PM

i just got a home theater set up too. I find I have this problem too when there is some bass in teh background. An example of this is in startrek nemesis, when they are on the bridge there is a low humming sound but my subwoofer just kind of rumbled and sounded like shit. I messed with the cross over and the volume on the sub till it sounded ok. Did you try doing that yet.
Dan Fitz

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Christian_R

Christian_R

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted June 03 2003 - 02:05 AM

I've tried messing around with all the settings and it still happens. In my case, the bass sounds very good, but when there is no bass and just dialogue I get a "popping" or "crackling" noise. Thanks. Chris

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Christian_R

Christian_R

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted June 03 2003 - 02:08 AM

Could it be interference from the appliances? I do have the sub plugged straight into the wall....hmmmmmm

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Mark Barnhill

Mark Barnhill

Stunt Coordinator

• 87 posts

Posted June 03 2003 - 03:51 AM

I doubt if this is the cause of your problem, but, my cell phone makes my sub pop and click. If I place the phone farther from the sub it quits. Just a thought.
My DVD Collection
Silica, we don't need no stinkin' silica!

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Derek Iverson

Derek Iverson

Stunt Coordinator

• 191 posts

Posted June 03 2003 - 07:21 AM

Maybe it is the interconnect... Is it a crappy one? Are there any power cables touching it?
My Home Theater
My DVD Collection

“JBL S-Series + SVS = ” - Phil Iturralde
----------------------------------------------------
The Portland, OR & Vancouver, WA HT Meet Thread

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Christian_R

Christian_R

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted June 04 2003 - 02:49 AM

[quote] Maybe it is the interconnect... Is it a crappy one? Are there any power cables touching it? [quote]

Heavens no. Monster Ultra Series THX Subwoofer cable. But it is very close to the Surge Protector and may be touching it. Despite the high quality cable, could this be affecting it?

Chris

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Marc H

Marc H

Second Unit

• 497 posts

Posted June 04 2003 - 07:48 AM

Will it do that if you disconnect the cable from the receiver? If you can try that, it will tell you whether the problem is within the sub or something upstream.
-----------
Marc Hallam
Audioshop
-----------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users