What's new

The "Out of Order" Thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It's off to a good start. This almost 2 hour season premiere had some serious comedic moments, and some comical dramatic moments with nary a transition scene. It's pretty amazing how much ground it covered in 100 minutes or so. I'll be tuning in for the rest of it.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
For those who missed it, its premiere is being replayed tonight at 10 p.m. EDT on Showtime. This should be their normal timeslot from here on out (Monday 10 p.m. EDT).

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Personally, I'd say the cast is stronger than 'The Sopranos' or 6FU. The writing and direction, we'll see over time.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
For some reason, I keep thinking Eric Stoltz is younger than he is (i.e. mid-30s when he's now over 41). Must be that high pitched voice of his. :)

Kim Dickens was like the only good thing in Hollow Man, so it was a treat to see her on this show.

Felicity Huffman seems too old for Stoltz (but too young for her real life hubby, William H. Macy, who's also good in this premiere).

I was busting a gut when Justine Bateman's character offered to tie Mark's (Stoltz's) shoe in Mark's kitchen, and Mark holding the bottle in that position was slyly intentional and indicative of the undercurrent of the scene.

And, the masturbation-interruptus scene was played for good laughs.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I'm finally catching up on a TiVo backlog. If the lack of activity in this thread is any indication, Out of Order was about as popular with the HTF membership as it was with critics, most of whom savaged it.

Yes, there's a certain amount of navel-gazing in this story about two married screenwriters created by two married screenwriters. But once you get past the insular upper-middle-class L.A. milieu, there are some interesting explorations of a long-term marriage, and there's Felicity Huffman, who's terrific in the meatiest role she's had in years. She's one of those performers who can turn her entire emotional vehicle on the proverbial dime, and this series requires her to display that skill over and over again.

Felicity Huffman seems too old for Stoltz
According to IMDb, she's actually a year younger. I think what we're seeing are the exterior effects of someone who's struggling with demons and constantly teetering on the edge. Stoltz's character is the classic boy-who-never-grew-up, and his babyface suits the character. Huffman can look older or younger, depending on her character's state of mind. She certainly looked young enough in bed with her husband in the second episode (a hilarious moment, BTW, when Stoltz then shows you his fantasy during the encounter).

Re: Episode 2. Did anyone else think that the producer they go see for financing was based on Elie Samaha (dry cleaning being translated into car washes)?

M.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Okay, re-titled the thread (I think this runs for 6 episodes).

Second episode: I was a bit confused by the passage of time, and the jumping around in memories in some scenes.

Going with the mystery angle does't get my blood flowing for this type of drama. I liked the premiere more than this second episode.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
I hate it when I drive up to a gas pump and it has a brown paper bag over the pump and it says, "Out of ......"

wait, wrong thread, sorry.

:b

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Also, for some reason, even though the protagonist is male, I get a "Lifetime" vibe to these 2 episodes so far.

Nobody has mentioned about the more sexually explicit version of the pilot which aired last Wed 6/4 at 11:30 PM. I had read an article in my local paper about the two different versions being aired and had gathered that they would be adding more footage but in actuality the running time stayed the same and the sexual scenes, especially in the pool, were lightned to show more explicit handling of the genitalia. I'm wondering why Showtime, being a cable station as well as a premium station, felt they needed to air a censored version. I haven't heard of any other series doing this.

Jodee

Screenwriter
I'm finally catching up on a TiVo backlog. If the lack of activity in this thread is any indication, Out of Order was about as popular with the HTF membership as it was with critics, most of whom savaged it.
Really? Entertainment Weekly gave it a glowing review, which is what caused me to tune in (besides the cast).

I think it's a great show, I'm definitely hooked.

I like how the main character is written, where he is doing something immoral but he still comes off sympathetic. At first I worried this show would be offensive like "The Mind of the Married Man" and I was pleased that it comes off with a lot of understanding for its characters.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Okay, in the home stretch. Mark gets cold feet about breaking off his relationship with Lorna, all the while his lover Danni is leaving her hubby and is yearning for Mark to do the same. I guess there is some sort of self-psycho analysis breakthru when Mark figures out the adult meaning of his dreams, and what he wants, and can't have, and it's not Danni.

Anyone know if that's a fictional actress (whose name kept being bleeped out) that Mark and Peter Bogdonovich's character were discussing (as being not sexy at all).

Enjoyed Justine Bateman's dare.

These past few episode are lacking the zip of the initial installment, but it'd be pretty tough to maintain that level of quirkiness and go where they've been so far.

Only one episode left for this "mini-season".

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Dani's "Frank Mills" video was a highlight for me.

Jim

Also enjoyed Mallory Keaton dropping her towel.
;)

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Not to crap on your thread... but after hearing the radio ads for this show non-stop, I was so nausiated with this program that I wouldn't tune in to save my life. What the hell is wrong with monogomy? What is wrong with going with the flow? They make it seem as though there is something wrong with me for settling down with a nice woman. Is there something wrong with fidelity? Yeesh. Moral decay at its finest...

/soapbox.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Paul,

Thanks for your inciteful retort to honest opinions espoused over the nature of a program.

However, if there are any contributers that would would like to offer an actual, intellectual rebut, having viewed the program, on the issues I raised, I would be open to hearing it.

For example, many have noted that the program has great moments of comedy... is it of a satirical nature, or is it enforcing sexual conduct stereotypes that have grown out of MTV?

Wayne W

Stunt Coordinator
"What the hell is wrong with monogomy?" It is boring. :D
jk...There is nothing wrong with monogomy in RL, but thats not the point of this show. I think it might be a good idea to actually watch a show before passing a moral judgement on it.

Back to the topic at hand: What is great about this show is the inventive way they tell the story. It is a movie addict's dream show with the characters, references, and the "My life as a movie" POV. I love the way the back story of the characters unfolds more with each episode. I have no idea where this show is going to go next which is a good thing.

Jodee

Screenwriter
Justin--

Have you actually watched the show?

"What is wrong with monogamy?" I don't think there is anything wrong with it, but in the show they present that it is hard to be monogamous when your wife is on the verge of mental collapse. Mark loves his wife and has always been committed to her but her state of mental anguish has left him feeling alone and confused. He seeks solace in a woman friend as a means to cope with what he is going through.

I think the show has done a great job at making Mark a sympathetic character despite his adultery. You really understand how hard it is for him to be the one keeping his marriage together and you don't really begrudge him for seeking some happiness outside the marriage.

His character comes off a lot more realistic and sympathetic than say the guy on "Mind of the Married Man". He had a wonderful wife and was always still looking for some action on the side.

Mark, on the other hand-- you get the impression that he sees Danni as what his wife would be like if she were not in the throes of her mental disorder. I think he'd love to go back to their happier, earlier times (which is why he is always flashing back). But the current situation is so dour and unstable, he feels the need to have something that is stable that he can turn to.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I do think that it's MUCH better to offer an informed opinion when offering to espousing opinions directly related or tangential to the subject at hand. In this case, marital fidelity is what has been brought up as a major issue of this short arc of a show.

Whether you agree or disagree with the non-monogamous attitudes of the main characters in a show, it's doing a good job exploring how infidelity happens, and the ramifications of it. So, it's not just about happy-go-lucky people with infidelity burned into their hearts, but rather it delves into what makes a person do what they do, even if they know better, and were even part of the fallout from their parents' experiences.

As a person who's watched the episodes, I think naysayers (ignorant of the actual content of the show's episodes) are doing a disservice in trying to characterize the show as being stridently supportive of marital infidelity (especially if they haven't taken the time to watch the show being discussed).

Juan Castillo

Second Unit
Is it just me, or do Eric Stoltz, Josh Homme(vocalist for current Queens of the Stone Age), and Craig Kilborn, all look similar.. hmmm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks