What's new

XM Satellite Radio (1 Viewer)

Doro

Agent
Vehicle : Audi A4 1.8T
Stereo: Factory Bose
Antenna: Trunk Lid, forward lip
Unit: On cell phone mount, near shifter/ lower gauge cluster

We have had XM for almost a year, and it is outstanding.

We run the Delphi, and the interface is excellent. Cheap, fairly inexpensive to install. The sore point is that they don't offer a "Car" or "Home" PACKAGE, that would include the components neccesary for install, rather than purchase separately. It all has to be purchased in pieces.

We enjoy the many channels and lineup is ecclectic. "Fred" is my favorite, "Comedy" is my wife's. The lineup covers everything from Talk Radio, Metal to 1950's music, I don't think you can find that anywhere. www.xmradio.com

Never had a single problem with coverage in the Wash DC area. Never without service, but this is their hub. There was an excellent writeup of the history of XM in the Washington Post magazine. I will post the link if I find it.

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
The sore point is that they don't offer a "Car" or "Home" PACKAGE, that would include the components neccesary for install, rather than purchase separately. It all has to be purchased in pieces.
That would be making a big assumption. I assume when you're talking about a complete "car" kit the following would be included:
  • The SkiFi Unit
  • Car Adapter
  • FM Modulator
However you have to remember not everone wants for needs the FM Modulator: they're happy with going through the cassette or are one of the lucky people who have a car stereo that has the connections to use the XM through an AUX input. I'll be there will be some people who buy the car kit and be ticked because they spent extra on something they didn't need.

Doro

Agent
No kidding. The sore point was my sore point, I can't speak for the whole nation. Yes, I meant the FM modulator.

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
I bought an addition Skifi unit last week, and am going to have it put in my car.

I hear alot of about the FM Modulation issue, is there a loss in quality?

One thing I have thought about is, I have a Lexus GS300, no GPS. Can I just have the connections for the CD pulled on my radio seen as how b/w my ipod and soon to be xm radio my use of CDs will be zero. In fact since I bought the ipod, it has been zero.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
There's nothing at all wrong with the FM Modulator. It works and probably sounds better than you think it would. I use it in my '03 Avalanche.

Noone has the AUX adapters for the '03 GM radios (without a slave unit) yet, since GM decided to change the way their electronics work...long story..

Also, the nice thing about having the FM Modulator is that you can hard-wire the power for everything instead of using the 12V outlet.

Eric T

Second Unit
Hey nice car. I have an A4 1.8T as well. I was planning to pick up the Delphi this week. I read a post on AudiWorld.com where someone just put the antenna in the forward-right corner of the dash and it worked fine. I'm planning to try this so I have no external wiring.

Doro

Agent
Cool Eric, nice to see another Audi owner :)

It wouldn't suprise me if that worked fine, as I have not a single time had a coverage issue unless I completely cover the antenna with both hands. Let me know if this works, I may try it. I have grown attached to my little antenna on the trunk tho'......:)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
"The sore point is that they don't offer a "Car" or "Home" PACKAGE, that would include the components neccesary for install, rather than purchase separately. It all has to be purchased in pieces."

Yeah unfortunately, this seems like XM's way of ripping you off. If you don't have a tape deck (which many newer cars probably do not have) you have to still buy the car kit for the cradle unit and the antenna. The Cigarette lighter adapter and the cassette from that package tape are useless to you because A. You wont have a tape deck and B. once you get the FM modulator, the Sky-Fi unit will be hard wired to you car's battery, making the Adapter useless as well. Why couldn't they just put a cradle device and a antenna in the FM modualor package as well so all you have to buy is the Sky-Fi and either the Car Adapter or the FM modulator as opposed to both if you lack a cassette deck. This strategy is not going to be attractive to people who are a bit on the fence on whether or not to invest in XM

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
WillG,

FYI "XM" has nothing to do with the way the Delphi Products
are packaged. If you have a gripe then the gripe is with
Delphi (GM's offshoot electronics division).

WillG

Senior HTF Member
"FYI "XM" has nothing to do with the way the Delphi Products
are packaged. If you have a gripe then the gripe is with
Delphi (GM's offshoot electronics division)."

Ok, I stand corrected on blaming XM, but that complaint stands

Doro

Agent
I feel your pain WillG, but either way I like the system and the service. I think that the consumer should have the choice in wether they want a modulator or the cassete kit at point of purchase, but that's a big cost difference. Not all users or installers are like you and I, or Eric, and etc....so they probably chose the most effective way to market it based on models of potential users. Those of us with gripes are the ones that populate a smaller segment, IMO.

To heck with them, I will buy their modulator and then burn the cassette portion on the front lawn while dancing around it, beer in hand. :)

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Newbie questions of the day: How are these devices hooked up to Home systems, through L/R RCA jacks ? Or is there a different "home" adapter ?

How much would the radio and adapters typically cost and who is the best vendor ?

Can I expect to get reception in my house basement ? (there is a large window, but it faces NE).

Thanks !

Doro

Agent
There is a specific Delphi home adapter kit available. It connects thru the L/R RCA jacks, input is your choice.

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...0SA10004&o=&a=

The antenna definetly has to be oriented to the south or southeast. All satellite origination, in this region, is to this direction(Correct me if I am wrong anyone). Stock lenghth is 22Ft. I believe that they have this EXTRA cable(50Ft)avaialble for the longer run to opposite side of home or business.

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...06&g=80000&s=0

:)

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
The "Home Kit" antena is a High Gain unit (Unlike the car
antenna which IMHO is the most worthless piece of garbage
and doesn't pick up for squat.. An Amplified Terk Antenna
fixed that problem).

The Home Antenna will naturaly work best facing the south
but I recieved signal even when it wasnt. Also understand
that XM has ground based Repeaters (Terestrial) and in most
cases if you can't get the Sat signal you will get a Terestrial
signal from a Repeater.

But if at all possible face the antena towards the south
and pivot it towards the ceiling and then turn the antena
aiming function on (via the menue) and watch your signal
strength and move the antena untill you get the best reception.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation483
Recent bookmarks