What's new

Do you dance? (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
This is a long shot given the disdain for pop music on this board, but I thougth I would try.

How important is dancing to you? I know many people for whom music one cannot dance to is worthless. While you might think it's narrow, it's no less so than saying (a prevalent attitude around here) that music whose most obvious feature is the bass beat is worthless, because there is little singing involved. Well, much of that music is made to be danced to, not to be heard in the dark on a recliner with a martini in hand. A lot of them don't sound that great unless you've heard them in a club.

A lot of times, I just have to move when I hear some of those songs, no matter what I am doing.

So the question is, do you enjoy dancing at all? Have you ever? If yes, what do you dance to? If not, do you at least appreciate it?

--
Holadem

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Yes, with a big if- I have to be drinking enough. :)

Though I'm only 25, sometimes I feel too "old" to dance to some of the techno stuff I hear in clubs, but when I'm with girls I still give it the ol' college try.

My music of choice to dance to is classic funk like P-Funk, reggae, and some hip-hop. Mid-tempo grooves and heavy bass. Preferrably not that really fast stuff you hear in hacker flicks.

And I can't rave for the life of me.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I enjoy dancing, I was even voted "Best Dancer" two months ago by my peers in the college choir I participate in, even though I didn't go to the formal and the only party I went to and danced at had a lot of people there and I doubt anyone noticed my moves, which are pretty standard. So I'm thinking it was all a joke. :)

Seriously though, I don't dance that much. I've been to one prom, one wedding dinner, one this, one that. I've been known to bust out some moves randomly in a relaxed setting (with music on, of course :)), surprising (and probably freaking out :)) the others. I've danced/moved to Eminem, Kylie Minogue, etc., but I don't listen to most of that kind of music except when I'm in these kinds of settings. I can tolerate it, I just don't listen to it.

I got the Down With Love soundtrack (Sinatra-like stuff) the past week and have been listening to it nonstop, and on occasion I've started to snap and move around in my chair.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Girls at the clubs always ask for dance songs and alot of the rock of the 90's didn't have what it takes apparently. I do know this, people that know how to do it, love swing dancing, especially the girls.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
These days, only at weddings;)

But I used to go to dance clubs every weekend when I was in my early 20's, and although I would never have bought any of the music I was dancing to, I liked the music when I was dancing to it. If that makes any sense?

Strangely, the last time I danced was at a sweet 16 party for my neice earlier this year. For some reason, Missy Eliot made me want to move. I don't know why, it just did.

David R. Hendrickson

Stunt Coordinator
slow dancing only. i don't listen to pop and have no desire to dance to it. besides, it's not really *dancing* now is it?

someday i'll meet someone who'd like to take up ballroom dancing...

Jeff Savage

Second Unit
Holadem -

Right there with ya bud. I mean I like my tubes+vinyl+jazz or classical but ya know what there are just some times when you have to spin some good dance tunes and bounce around the house to get rid of all the cobwebs in the brain.

I mean it just wouldn't be right to never feel the power of SVS woofers, an amp that goes to 11, and night club disco lights in your own house...err um never mind perhaps I have said too much.

Laters,
Jeff

PS - My dog loves dancing too or more accurately she loves chasing me around while I bop around the house.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Dance? Ummm no.

There are reasons why I played saxophone, flute and clarinet in the band -- namely two left feet and the lack of a singing voice :D

Regards,

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I'm a dancin' fool! In fact, every time I go to certain parties, I always get pulled onto the dance floor because people know I like to cut a rug and not care what I look like. I feel like I have a good sense of timing...so I'm not uncomfortable getting out there.

But most of my music listening is done without athletic activity associated with it.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Love dancing....just need to have the courage to do it publicly.

Ballroom dacing?? When I was in college, my school's ballroom dancing classes are always full. It's a great way to meet girls. I like to learn one of these days.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Ballroom dacing?? When I was in college, my school's ballroom dancing classes are always full. It's a great way to meet girls. I like to learn one of these days.
Well, um, don't tell anyone but one summer as a kid I took a few ballet classes. Anyone who knows what I look like can see the grotesque of the situation :b

I wish I had enrolled in that Salsa class in college. Hispanic women don't care much for guys who can't dance that stuff it seems, which sucks as they are some of the finest women on this planet. Eh... it's never too late...

--
Holadem

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I don't really listen to dance music, nor go to clubs. That said, I do have the un-natural abiliy to dance the living s**t out of pretty near any music style.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I'm afraid I'm much too self conscious to dance club style - I've needed a bit of alcoholic assistance in the times I have.

Many of my friends in college were really into ballroom and after some arm twisting by a friend I joined a class with her. Turns out I really liked it - mainly because of the structure of the whole thing. Generally I feel silly doin' the booty shakin' thang but with ballroom I like the formality and structure. I'm REALLY rusty though.

Funny thing when I took the class though, I think it was the only time in its history when males outnumbered females. And the teacher had no qualms about pairing up guys. Actually, this made for a funny, rehearsal dinner story as an acquaintance was in the same class (and we had to dance together a couple times) and the following year we were dorm roommates, then a few years later he rented a room from me for six months prior to his wedding. My story was followed by his cousin telling about how he proposed to her when they were kids, so his family had a pretty good laugh about his "secret past."

Anyway, my favorite dances were foxtrot, waltz and swing.

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
I was dancing all night tonight (3:45am, just got home). For the most part I'm not really self conscious about dancing, although a drink or 2 doesn't hurt. Being 21 though, going to out bars and clubs once in a while is part of being in college, especially since this year myself and all my friends turned 21 so it was a party every weekend. For the most part that's not my lifestyle, but loud music and drunk friends does make for a fun night, and although I personally prefer to sit down with a nice Mahler symphony as opposed to listening to the latest 50 cent crap, the dance-a-bility for the latter far surpasses the former. And I've realized that despite the fact that I dance like the white, Jewish kid that I am, as long as I'm having fun, I don't care about what other people think I look like (although no one can out-horah me)

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Hell yeah.. Love to dance...

Love to swing dance and salsa/cha cha... Me and the wife are taking lessons...to learn more dances...... For the clubs we like to salsa and then kinda mixing it all together when the dance floor is packed....

I like techno or I should say anything that is loud and has a good beat.....

I agree with what others have said.... a few drinks to loosen one up always helps...lol....... When we go to vegas... we will usually dance all night long........ got to love clubs that are open till 6am...teehee...

R~

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Not me. . .killed too many brain cells moshing in the '80s. :D

My wife is pretty good at ballroom dancing, though. I gotta figure it out, as we have a wedding to attend next month. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks