What's new

I Confess.......(I have not seen these films): (1 Viewer)

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about the moving pictures, but over the years, a surprising number of very significant films have gone unseen by me. Among them:

Star Wars Episode II, Attack of the Clones
All of the Alien movies
Caddyshack
Rebel without a Cause
All of the Austin Powers movies
The Matrix
North by Northwest
Doctor Zhivago
Any Charlie Chaplin movie

Anyone else care to confess?
Or steer me towards which of these I must see to satisfy my penance?

Jon

Arman

Screenwriter
Jon,

Thanks for sharing. Hey that's a great start (of your penance :)) if you will plan watching them (especially any Chaplin film) very soon.

I'm not really trying to burst you bubble (or overwhelm you) but I think you accidentally (committed a sin of omission :)) missed some more other significant not to be missed films. You did not mention any very popular or much acclaimed foreign film (I know, maybe they are not your cup of tea).

You mentioned not seeing

a. Hitchcock's North by Northwest. Have you seen his other must see & not to be missed films (and are all beloved by the majority of film lovers) like Vertigo, Psycho, Rear Window, Lady Vanishes, Strangers on A Train, The 39 Steps & Rebecca (& personally, I would add Spellbound & Rope).
b. Lean's Doctor Zhivago - If you already saw Lawrence of Arabia, Doctor Zhivago is indeed a good film to watch in paying tribute to David Lean. But then don't also forget to watch his other films that are even better than DZ like Brief Encounter, Great Expectations & Bridge on The River Kwai.

Unless you are planning to watch The Matrix Reloaded, don't worry too much about not seeing the other films in your list.

This year 2003, only 5 months have passed but I would say this is by far my most prolific movie watching year ever. I've already seen more than 300 films (from silent classic to newly release films in videos and/or theaters) in the last 5 months. But still like most everyone here (maybe with the exception of Pascal), I still need to do a lot of catching up (i.e, Hollywood or World Cinema watching).

I have not even seen everyone's favorite (to bash :)) Freddy Got Fingered and any Marnau's masterpiece (It's a common knowledge though here that I have not seen half of the films listed in the 2002 Sight & Sound greatest films of all-time list).

In the famous words of Lew Crippen, "So many movies, so little time" ... something like that. :)

Cheers!

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Star Wars Episode II, Attack of the Clones
All of the Alien movies
Caddyshack
Rebel without a Cause
The Matrix
North by Northwest
Doctor Zhivago
Any Charlie Chaplin movie
You need to go to Circuit City and buy all of those now!

DanaA

Screenwriter
North by Northwest is, imo, a must see.

City Lights is my favorite Chaplin movie and includes one of the most touchingly romantic scenes I've ever experienced.

I'm personally not a fan of Caddyshack or SW's Episode Two.

In my opinion the second Austin Powers is the best so far (Elvis Costello is in it Jon).

The rest are all more than worthy of a viewing.

Trying to think of what I haven't seen and the two that come most to mind that I really want to see are

Tokyo Story
Decalog (Sorry, if I misspelled it)

But Decalog should now be out on DVD, unless there's been a hangup, so maybe I'll order it today.

;)

Sean Campbell

Second Unit
I suppose I better confess too...

I haven't seen:

Silence of the Lambs
Pulp Fiction
Resevoir Dogs
The Usual Suspects
Mary Poppins
The Wizard of Oz ( it's on tv every Christmas since I was a kid yet I still haven't seen it )
The Godfather trilogy ( feel free to kill me )
Once Upon A Time in America ( I intend to rectify this as soon as the DVD is released )

and...

Citizen Kane!!! ( I've promised myself that I'll get the R2 DVD next month )

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I have not seen any movies directed by Billy Wilder, Federico Fellini, François Truffau, or Akira Kurosawa.

I'm so ashamed (and I even own Hidden Fortress)

ColeKR

Stunt Coordinator
I have not seen

Any of the Bond films
Any of the Godfather films(I have the box set)
Gladiator
There's actually alot i haven't seen.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Not having watched Fellini, Truffaut or Kurosawa is not that big a deal, even North by Northwest, Usual Suspect, Citizen Kane etc... these aren't movies everyone has seen.

However, it seems that you really have to go out of your way to avoid watching Bond, the Godfather, Star Wars, Alien, the Matrix, Terminator and a few others that everyone has watched.

I am guilty of the following:
It's a Wonderful Life - a huge TV favorite to boot. Go figure.

Most horror classics: Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, Texas Chainsaw Massacre etc... they will probvably remain unwatched, not my cup of tea at all.

--
Holadem

Galen_V

Second Unit
-The Godfather Parts II and III-I guess I like the first one so much I don't want my little perfect world ruined in any way 6/6-Saw Part II yesterday and really liked it, I'm currently debating whether to risk 3 hours of my life and see Part III
-Forrest Gump-I will have to get around to seeing this very soon because people reference it all the time
-Citizen Kane-I know I should
-The Usual Suspects-Because someone ruined the movie for me :angry:
-Pulp Fiction-I've seen the beginning, didn't do much for me. One day I will get around to seeing the rest.
-Rocky-I hate boxing
-Any Hitchcock Movie-At Disney there was this Hitchcock thing that I went on when I was little and it freaked me out, so that sort of turned me off of him, up until now. But I have a strong urge to rent them all and watch them now.
-The Exorcist-We'll see...
-2001-Whenver I go to rent it, it is always out
-American Beauty-I don't really like pretentious films

One weekend this summer I will bunker down and rent a ton of these movies, but until then...

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I've never seen any Bond film, any of The Godfather series, Basic Instinct, any Hitchcock movie (though I did see the Rear Window remake), the Usual Suspects, any Nightmare on Elm Street Movie, Rebel Without a Cause, Gone With the Wind or Fargo. I hadn't ever seen One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest until 2 days ago.

Tim RH

Second Unit
To the best of my knowledge I have never seen a Shirley Temple movie before. Anyone else?

Ches Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't seen:
Citizen Cane
Psycho
Vertigo
Godfather III
Heat
Scarface
Raging Bull
X-Men or X2
Terminator 1 or 2
Gone with the Wind
Casablanca
and many many others.

I have the crappiest video stores, and I dont have the money to buy them all. Oh well, maybe one day.

Scott Ware

Stunt Coordinator
I have not seen:

Any Bond film
Terminator 1 and 2
Any Hitchcock film aside from The Birds
The Godfather, parts I, II, and III
It's a Wonderful Life
Any Kubrick film aside from A Clockwork Orange
Gone with the Wind
Casablanca
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Any of the "Alien" movies
Also, I too have never seen a Shirley Temple film.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
I haven't seen:

Godfather I-III
The Matrix
Austin Powers 1-3
Braveheart
The Usual Suspects
GoodFellas
Schindler's List
Platoon
Wild Things
Birdy
Men in Black

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
(and I even own Hidden Fortress)
Hidden Fortress is a great Kurosawa introduction film. If you don't like HF, chances are that you won't like the work of Kurosawa. If you like (or love) HF, then you'll probably enjoy all of Kurosawa's other films.

For me, Tokyo Story definitely comes to mind. For all the praise that gets heaped on it, it's curious that noone has brought forth this title to DVD. I haven't done any digging as to why this might be...but I do keep hoping to see this become available.
Another film in the same boat is El Norte. Not available on any format that I am aware of in the US.

Bruce

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I think DVD producers were waiting for restored film elements to become available. This is finally happening this year. Criterion will be releasing 3-4 in 2003-04 and Tokyo Story will likely be among them. Producers in other regions will be issuing more Ozu films as well.

Trying to think of something popular and well-thought of I haven't seen:

Field Of Dreams
Once Upon A Time In America
Reds
Roman Holiday

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Join Netflix. I may hold a long grudge, but since DiVX, I still will not support Circuit City.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks