What's new

Alison Krauss Concert DVD (1 Viewer)

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
This is AWESOME news!!!!

Alison Krauss and Union Stations fans rejoice. A two-disc live concert DVD is due to be released on July 15th. From http://alisonkrauss.com,

Alison Krauss + Union Station will be releasing a two disc DVD consisting of a full concert performance by AKUS, one-on-one interviews with each band member, and special "behind the scenes" features. The LIVE concert was recorded at the beautiful Louisville Palace in Louisville, Kentucky on April 29 & 30, 2002. The audio is mixed for either stereo or 5.1 surround sound.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
I didn't see anything about it , but I wonder if the concert was filmed in 16x9 ? Sure hope so.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
I can only assume it will be full-frame for a conventional TV.
Since I have a widescreen TV, normally that would be a huge factor in whether or not I would actually purchase a "live in concert" recording. However, even if it is true, for Alison Krauss I'm willing to make an exception. :)

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Rounder contacted me about this DVD last week and sent some info.

First off, to clarify, the two-disc set is being released by Rounder, according to the label, not actually Krauss herself. Also, according to Rounder, the concert was shot in high definition and the disc definitely will be anamorphic widescreen.

Other details, according to Rounder:
* Audio options will include DTS 5.1, Dolby Digital 5.1 and a two-channel stereo PCM mix.
* The 2-hour-plus concert includes 23 songs.
* Extras will include:
  • - Interviews with each band member
    - Rare photos
    - Home-video footage
    - An "On the Road" segment (with glimpses of life
    backstage and on the tour bus)
    - A tribute to their longtime road manager and
    monitor sound engineer, Frank Edmonson
    - A discography
    - The music video for "New Favorite"

Pretty impressive.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
the disc definitely will be anamorphic widescreen.
Whoa...awesome.

This sounds like a totally killer DVD. Being somewhat of an AKUS "groupie" (i.e. being the kind of obsessive fan who takes pride in hanging around after AKUS concerts to converse with Kruass, Block, and Tyminski just for the fun of it) I must say this DVD looks like it's gonna rule.

By the way, Randy, thank you for providing additional details!

Link Removed

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
that is music to behold.

anyone else got DOWN FROM THE MOUNTAIN? the sound is fantastic.
the video footage is slightly underpar though.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I don't care about the aspect ratio, I don't care about the price. It's Alison Krauss on DVD, for Pete's sake. You don't ask what's in it, you just fork over the cash :D

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Wow! Thanks for the update on this awesome concert dvd from Rounder! Widescreen and DTS!! What else could you ask for!

I'm There!! :D

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I have this performance on multichannel SACD, and it's easily one of the finest sounding discs I have. It was one of the first pop performances recorded "direct to DSD", and it's so lifelike that it's almost scary. I know the DTS track won't be quite as good, of course, but it still may outdo even the Diana Krall: Live in Paris DTS track... it's that good.

Jim Golden

Stunt Coordinator
This concert is playing on the country music network tomorrow. I saw it yesterday on a different station. Before I even finished watching the concert, I place my order for the DVD.

I agree, Alison Krauss has the voice of an angel.

Jim

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Is this the same performance that the CD came from? It was an entertaining show, although the host should be axed immediately...

-Dave

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I can't call myself an AKUS fan, because I've never really listened to much of their work and and am not much of a bluegrass devotee in general. However, I do like what little I've heard of Alison's voice (a few songs). Based on the good things I've heard about the sound quality of this concert and the fact that it was shot in Hi-Def (that's a huge plus for concerts in my book - really draws you in), I went ahead and ordered it. Looking forward to checking it out.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Please post your thoughts on the A/V quality on this one.

Would love to read yall's thoughts.

Later!
Troy

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
ok,

20 minutes in...the sound is loud = nice.

not much difference between DD and DTS.

it sounds good, but not mindblowing like DOWN FROM THE MOUNTAIN.

video...while better than DFTMountain, it has this very annoying, distracting, disappointing white haze, resulting in low contrast in ALL the long shots, as if there wasn't enough light, or the cameras weren't capturing it.

Now, is this how it was shot or due to mastering?

worth having as a fan.

anyone heard of FENUA? smiles.

55 minutes in...the interludes are very LOW - annoying. But I can accept that is the original level, as it sounds on the CD, which is also annoying.

alright, I got goosebumps when FORGET ABOUT IT was performed. The BASS!!! That track alone makes it a keeper. :emoji_thumbsup:

ps. am waiting for my Marantz 8300 to arrive, so I can start playing the SACD!

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Well, I just picked up my copy from Circuit City. The saleslady said it was the only copy they received, so boy do I feel lucky. I'll report my thoughts as soon as I can get home and give the disc a spin.

Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks