What's new

Angel Season 2 Delayed! (1 Viewer)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
This was posted at Spoiler Slayer

I'm getting reports from fans who pre-ordered the 'Angel Season Two' DVD set from Amazon.com have received an email, that states the item has been pulled from the studio's release schedule. I have not seen anything solid yet, but I do believe that this could be tied with the announcement of Season Five. This will take the series up to Episode 100, which means that it's a viable syndication package for television networks. Although TNT has already signed on, it didn't stop the first season from being released. My only guess is like Buffy, they want to be able to release this to local networks for syndication. Which begs the question, will we have to wait a year or two for 'Angel Season Two' to appear.
Too bad. I like this show more than Buffy and was looking forward to future releases. Also, I was surprised that TNT "Signed on" and not FX. Guess we won't ever be able to see those crossover episodes one right after another on the same channel. Which makes me even more anxious for the DVDs

BTW, be careful if you go to the site. After all its called SPOILER SLAYER! My wife frequents it... I DON'T!

Ric

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
I thought something was up when I saw Fox's remaining schedule for TV shows on DVD for 2003 on The Digital Bits yesterday and Angel Season 2 was conspicuously absent. I think I read somewhere that TNT was going to start airing Angel around September. Maybe we'll see Buffy Season 5 and Angel Season 2 hit DVD around the same time early next year.

Oh well, as long as this doesn't cause any sort of delay for Angel Season 4 on DVD in R2, I won't be too upset.

Joel C

Screenwriter
Amazon pulled it from release because they listed it before Fox announced it. There has been no official delay because there never was an official announcement.

Also, Buffy season 5 is expected this year, not early next.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Note that if you go to Fox's TV-on-DVD webpage and, at the bottom, click on the "all releases" list, you'll see at the end of the list a "Coming Soon" selection which ends with a 9/2 date for Angel S2.

So why does TVShowsOnDVD still show an 8/19 release date? Well, we never actually pulled those dates when Fox asked Amazon to pull them (which they did, as did DVDEmpire and DVDSoon).

Why not at least change it to 9/2? Well, we're not sure it's a correct date. There are two other releases on there that don't agree with prior information: Futurama's news release is listed as "Season 2", when it should be "Volume 2". And M*A*S*H Season 4 is shown to have a 6/15 date there, when all other dates (including Fox's password-protected press system) show 7/15. Heck, 6/15 isn't even a Tuesday. So, frankly, I don't 100% trust the information at that Fox site.

Until we get DEFINATIVE new information from Fox through the normal press channels, I think we're sticking with a date we got from about 5 different sources that all agreed with each other: 8/19. I don't think it will be any sooner than that, and if it for sure gets a "delayed" date, we'll make sure our users know about it.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
It could be they wanted to sync the release with Buffy season 5. There are several tie-in episodes.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Well then that wouldn't be bad at all. I thought Angel season 1 and Buffy season 4 should have been released together.

Ric

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
If syndication was an issue, they would never have released season 1, which had a "season 2 coming in September" note in it. I don't imagine we'll see an official date for another month or so.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
I'll repeat what I said in another forum. Wait til these specs(and the release date for that matter) are confirmed by Fox and Mutant Enemy. Remember what happened with the Alias press release? Everyone went nutz over the alleged 4:3 aspect ratio and started venting only to find out a few days later that it'll be released in 16:9.

That being said, if these specs do in fact pan out, Joss has got some splainin' to do. He's gone on record as saying Buffy's intended aspect ratio is 4:3 and Angel's is 16:9. Well then what gives? Joss and David Greenwalt reportedly wanted to show Season 2 in WS, but the WB wouldn't ok it. What's their excuse this time, especially when Region 2 already has it available in WS?

And on a side note, it's a shame they couldn't come up with any additional supplements like they do for the R1 Buffy sets. I guess since Angel's only a "spinoff", it gets the shaft when it comes to extras as opposed to its sister show.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Adam, AFAIK, we have no definitive information on the OAR of Angel season 2. It's known they wanted to do it 16:9, but since the WB said they wouldn't show it that way, they may have ended up composing for 4:3 after all.

It could be the delay is AR related. They decided to do 16:9, in which case they can't just use the broadcast masters and need time to do new transfers.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Wait til these specs(and the release date for that matter) are confirmed by Fox
These specs are confirmed by Fox. I just copied-and-pasted them into TVShowsOnDVD from Fox's password-protected retailer/press news system. They also had updates for Futurama V2, Family Guy V2, and NYPD Blue S2. All available info has been posted to TVShowsOnDVD.com!

9/2 is now firm for Angel S2, and 8/12 for Furturama V2. "Weinstein" is firm for Family Guy V2, as is the "pilot pitch".

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Do you really think it wouldn't have come out widescreen had it been shot as such? Hasn't the whole Buffy season 4/repeated statements by Joss/Fox's consistant policy of OAR on everything including TV taught you anything?

IF IT WAS MEANT TO BE WIDE, IT WOULD BE WIDE ON R1 AS WELL. END OF DISCUSSION, END OF STORY!

I hope Patrick or another mod can issue a statement on this. I'm not arguing the point again.

Bingo

Stunt Coordinator
Yikes!!

So we have Angel, 24, and Alias all coming out on the same day?!?!

I'm going to be sooooooooo poor!

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
If Angel S3 were released 4:3, that would be cause for a major bitchfest, but since S2 was framed for 4:3 and compromised for 16:9, it should be A-OK.

Regards,

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Let's just hope Angel S2 doesn't show up as non-anamorphic 1.78 (or whatever the actual AR is for the show when it got broadcast with the black bars in place) with black bars encoded into the frame.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks