Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Axiom Owners I need you HELP!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Jason F.

Jason F.

Stunt Coordinator

• 156 posts

Posted May 30 2003 - 05:15 PM

I am going to close on my new house in the end of July. My wife has given me the go ahead to update my HT system. I have decided to go with the M22's, VP100's, 3 Qs4's and an SVS sub. I have heard that Axioms are bright, so what receiver are you running? I would like to keep it around 500 bucks and I want to be able to run a HD signal through it. My interest so far are:

HK 525 refurbished
Pioneer 43tx
Pioneer 912
Denon 2803

Any experience on these or others I should look at? I really like the HK b/c it is warm, but I am concerned about the fan noise.
"Wider is Better"

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Leo_P

Leo_P

Second Unit

• 272 posts

Posted May 31 2003 - 07:28 AM

I wouldn't classify the Axioms as bright. I'd say they were transparent.
I own a pair of M3's, a pair of M40's and a VP100. FWIW, I had my set-up hooked up to an h/k AVR 520 and thought they sounded great.Posted Image I'd go for the refurb 525, but that's me.
On a side note, I'd ditch the VP100. My M3's and M40's are great speakers but, IMHO the VP100 sucks. It just doesn't keep up. Either go for a VP150 which I understand is a much better center-channel or get another M22 or even an M3 and use that as a center. If you go with getting a bookshelf for a center you should put it in it's normal (vertical) position, not on it's side.
Just my 2 cents. Good luck!
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests."
-- Patrick Henry

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Daniel T

Daniel T

Stunt Coordinator

• 94 posts

Posted May 31 2003 - 09:17 AM

I agree with Leo about getting the H/K. I have the M3s, VP100, and QS4s hooked to an older H/K AVR55 with a parasound 855a amp. I to find that the VP100 lacks at times. I would go ahead and purchase the VP150. You will not be disappointed with Axiom. Just don't buy their subs.

Daniel T

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Jason F.

Jason F.

Stunt Coordinator

• 156 posts

Posted May 31 2003 - 01:37 PM

Thank you guys, I will have to go ahead and spring for the VP150!Posted Image
"Wider is Better"

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Jason F.

Jason F.

Stunt Coordinator

• 156 posts

Posted June 02 2003 - 09:59 AM

Any other receiver comments? I guess i'm a little hesitant because I keep hearing about problems from the HK. And I am a little concerned that the HK is made for 7.1 and I am just going to do a 6.1 set-up.
"Wider is Better"

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   James Gillespie

James Gillespie

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted June 03 2003 - 04:00 AM

So far I only have 3 QS4's in the rear, don't have the budget yet to replace my front speakers (but I did get the SVS 16-46+ Posted Image ) and I'm running it with a Yamaha RXV-1300. Everything sounds good to me, and I expect it to get even better when I have similar speakers all around. Currently my fronts are a pair of 10 year old Pioneer's with 10" drivers.

Cheers,
James