Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Teen Girl Faces Jail Time For Blue Lights On Car

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#21 of 92 OFFLINE   Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas

Screenwriter

• 2,044 posts

Posted May 31 2003 - 05:24 AM

Henry, the cop did issue a ticket, he did not arrest her. The problem seems to be with the judge. Was he required to issue this stiff of a penalty? That's what needs to be found out.

#22 of 92 OFFLINE   Robert_Z

Robert_Z

Screenwriter

• 1,017 posts

Posted May 31 2003 - 06:39 AM

[quote] You need to get out more. Devon IS a GIRL [quote]

Then why is there a boy's picture in the article?

#23 of 92 OFFLINE   Scott L

Scott L

Producer

• 4,466 posts

Posted May 31 2003 - 06:58 AM

You kidding me!? lol! Maybe you guys need to calibrate your monitors but you can clearly see that Devon has a pony tail. Poor Devon, hasn't she suffered through enough??

#24 of 92 OFFLINE   Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas

Screenwriter

• 2,044 posts

Posted May 31 2003 - 06:58 AM

That's not a boy. Look closely, she's got her hair pulled back in a pony tail on top of her head. At first glance I thought it was a chubby boy with real short hair.

#25 of 92 OFFLINE   Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter

• 1,302 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted May 31 2003 - 08:06 AM

Gosh, poor Devon. Posted Image

Maybe she looks way better in person Posted Image
"Charlie don't surf."

#26 of 92 OFFLINE   Bill_D

Bill_D

Supporting Actor

• 755 posts

Posted May 31 2003 - 09:17 AM

[quote] 11Alive checked with a number of law-enforcement agencies across Metro Atlanta on the legality of the lights. Some consider the Cobra Eyes illegal while others do not. [quote]
Douglas County is about 15 minutes west of Atlanta. These "Cobra Eyes" are all over the Atlanta area which consists of at least 7 counties with several suburban cities within each one. Considering what we call Atlanta, the ruling needs to be a State law. I personally drive to work passing through 3 different counties on the way. So it is quite possible to be "ok" at home and be in a world of hurt within 15 minutes.

I don't think a reasonable person would mistake these non-flashing, non-moving, pinpoint lights which are usually in the hood of the car for anything other than what it is: car jewelry. I am quite sure they had the judge thinking she had a full complement of official emergency lights on the vehicle.

Dude must have been short on his quota that month.

#27 of 92 OFFLINE   Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted May 31 2003 - 10:46 AM

Mark Fitzsimmons said,
[quote] "I checked with my resource officer at school and he said they weren't illegal," Devon Cook said. [quote]

It was clearly stated that Devon inquired about these lights before, or possibly after installing them. Had she known they were illegal, she most likely would not have put them on her car, or removed them if they already were. Don't call her a punk because she had self expression, and was convinced they WERE NOT illegal!

I'm not crystal with the forum rules, but I apologize if I've broken any.

#28 of 92 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,811 posts

Posted May 31 2003 - 11:00 AM

No, Mark, you didn't. Posted Image

Cees

#29 of 92 OFFLINE   Mark Fitzsimmons

Mark Fitzsimmons

Supporting Actor

• 539 posts

Posted May 31 2003 - 11:15 AM

Mark bk,

I was joking. . . you know. . . sarcasm.

[quote] it angers me to no end when adults choose to label ALL teenagers as punks [quote]
And I am an 18 year old who has his eyebrow pierced. I can speculate that someone who doesn't know me could label me as a punk; that is without realizing that I'm graduating at the top of my high school class, do not do drugs, and have never been in trouble with the law, not even something as minor as a speeding ticket.
"I always hope that if one million people see my movie, they see one million different movies." - Quentin Tarantino

#30 of 92 OFFLINE   Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted May 31 2003 - 11:21 AM

I apologize Mark, but it's kind of hard to get sarcasm from text... although, I still beleive it's a point that needs to get across to the older population

#31 of 92 OFFLINE   Mark Fitzsimmons

Mark Fitzsimmons

Supporting Actor

• 539 posts

Posted May 31 2003 - 11:25 AM

No apology necessary. If anyone should be apologizing it should be me, for getting you so worked up. :wink:
"I always hope that if one million people see my movie, they see one million different movies." - Quentin Tarantino

#32 of 92 OFFLINE   Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter

• 1,313 posts

Posted May 31 2003 - 12:24 PM

I live right on the border of Douglas County, so this was interesting to read... I certainly don't think the punishment fits the crime, but the circumstances could have played a major factor as to why they got such a ticket...eg, if they were parking, speeding, racing, who knows. I've had lots of friends who were "almost busted" for certain things, and the cops gave them as many BS tickets as they could (lights out, tag not visible, etc) to teach them a lesson. So who knows? I personally think that the Eyes should be banned. They are very distracting and are IMHO an illegal use of blue light, especially since many of the PD/State Patrol cars in GA are unmarked....

#33 of 92 OFFLINE   Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson

Screenwriter

• 1,988 posts

Posted May 31 2003 - 12:50 PM

Lots of people who commit real crimes get lighter sentences than that, there has to be something else to the story. When the cop (or maybe the judge) asked about the lights the teen's response was probably something like fuck off.

#34 of 92 OFFLINE   David Susilo

David Susilo

Screenwriter

• 1,199 posts

Posted May 31 2003 - 01:01 PM

if somebody with a ponytail has to be a girl, well... I'm a girl then.

#35 of 92 OFFLINE   Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas

Screenwriter

• 2,044 posts

Posted May 31 2003 - 01:43 PM

David, do you wear it in a girl's style? Mostly girls wear it at the top of their head, unless we're talking about some weird punk style or something. At a glance she looks like someone with a buzz cut, but when you look close you can see she has all the hair pulled back tight into a pony tail near the top of her hair, which typically is a feminine style.

#36 of 92 OFFLINE   David Susilo

David Susilo

Screenwriter

• 1,199 posts

Posted May 31 2003 - 02:29 PM

Actually, thanks for letting me know. According to your description, I'm wearing my hair as something in the middle. Not the girl style as you mentioned, but also not a guys' style either. Posted Image

I've been wearing my hair this way for the past 6 years and just realized about that now. Damn! Again, thanks for the info. (I am NOT being sarcastic)

#37 of 92 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted May 31 2003 - 02:31 PM

Anyone who mistakes those blue lights for an emergency vehicle has some serious enough vision problems that they shouldn't be driving in the first place. I see those blue lights all the time, never took them for anything other than what they were. -- Holadem

#38 of 92 OFFLINE   Philip_G

Philip_G

Producer

• 5,035 posts

Posted May 31 2003 - 03:59 PM

[quote] never took them for anything other than what they were.
[quote]
which is extremely lame.

#39 of 92 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted May 31 2003 - 05:49 PM

[quote] So is it true that every person having Cobra Eyes on their vehicle is a punk? I'm sure some very respectable members of one's community may have these. Does that make them a punk? [quote]I don't care how old you are, break the law and I'd call an 85 year old a "punk"

#40 of 92 OFFLINE   Greg*go

Greg*go

Supporting Actor

• 941 posts

Posted May 31 2003 - 06:35 PM

Do these Cobra Eyes server any other purpose other then annoying other drivers? If she says she was told they were legal by someone, then she's either lying or her source is an idiot.

[quote] I don't care how old you are, break the law and I'd call an 85 year old a "punk" [quote]
There's a Simpsons reference in there, but I'm too tired to think of it.
I certainly don't expect anyone to remember me 65 years after I die, but you wouldn't know that from the way I act.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users