What's new

Teen Girl Faces Jail Time For Blue Lights On Car (1 Viewer)

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Insane. However, it's gratifying to know that Douglas County is completely free of drug-dealers, murderers, and the like so that they can pursue this type of hardened criminal. :rolleyes

Doesn't anybody in authority stop to say "Hey....I wonder what this would look like in the newspapers?"

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if there is more to this story. Having something on your car that makes the government call it unsafe usually nets only a ticket. I've never heard of anyone getting jail time for something like that before. I mean if she was obviously trying to impersonate a cop that'd be one thing, but its clear that wasn't happening.

Hunter P

Screenwriter

All for a $10 purchase at an auto parts store. Give me a frickin' break. Somebody must have pissed in that judge's Cheerios before trial.

Cam S

Screenwriter
There must be more to the story, like maybe they were flashing lights that somehow looked like flashing cop lights? Who knows what else was going on.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I guess it could be that blue lights = impersonating an emergency vehicle and the judge had little leeway. It'd be sad if that's the way it is. Hopefully the appeal will help.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
Good. It's dangerous as hell as the lights can easily be mistaken for an emergency vehicle.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
hehe let the ricers beware.

has anyone considered the possibility she maybe got put up for wreckless or careless driving and she haggled it down to a non-moving offense? Sometimes that happens.. and we all know the news is alwyas unbiased.
(don't get me wrong, I HATE cops..)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
It's dangerous as hell as the lights can easily be mistaken for an emergency vehicle.
That may be true, but a simple warning would have sufficed. As it is, the Douglas county police and court system come across as incredibly inane. Use some damn common sense, people!

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Is it just me, or is there something wrong with that article? Devon Cook is a boy, and Alicia Cook a girl, but there are several times they refer to Devon as her.

Anyway, this is really stupid. The police should have better things to do. I think a warning would have been enough. I'd like to hear how the appeal turns out.

Glenn

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Jail time for this IS outrageous, even community service.

And I am not sure how anyone could mistake those tiny (but bright LED's) for an emergency vehicle.

But here's my theory on the situation:

Too many people are screwing around with their car's lighting systems and I think some cops are getting tired of it. I myself have gotten confused about what the car ahead of me was doing because the dingleberry owner stuck green(!) lamps into his turn signals instead of orange colored lamps; brake lamps so dim from using substandard aftermarket kits I can barely tell if they are actually on--very scary in traffic; blue or white side marker lights instead of the proper red or orange--it's difficult to tell if a car's rear end is sticking into traffic when that car is trying to make a u-turn in my lane; or using white lights for brake lamps instead of red--in the rain once coming up to a traffic light I thought the guy was backing up until I got closer.

All of these situations or close variants have happened to me multiple times (even the green lamps); they weren't isolated occurences.

And all were potentially dangerous situations--because we are all used to a certain color of light for specific vehicle functions or physical orientations. That is why non-regulation lamps are not approved for street use.

Self-expression is great, but not at other people's expense.

So I say start giving these people warnings (or tickets if they start mouthing off). Then after a six month "get used to it" period, give every violator a ticket.

LJ

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
^^^

Hell yeah. I'm sick of these Christmas like assortment of lights on cars these days, and those "Cobra eyes" are some of the most ridiculous. I'm not saying I think the treatment this person is receiving is fair, but I do think it's about time someone cracked down on this non-sense.

E

Eric Kahn

there is a uniform code of vehicle lighting that every state uses, it does say that blue lights are reserved for emergency vehicles

the judge in this case must have been whacked out of his mind to give this ruling, hopefuly the appeals judge has a little more sense, she should have just gotten an equipment ticket and been told to remove the blue lights especialy since she did ask beforehand and since the news did the interview and it is apparent that the police are not even sure of the law

every time I here "the officer used his discretion" it has been when the authority's are trying to cover up a massive legal blunder because they are incapable of admitting they screwed up

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
According to the article
"I checked with my resource officer at school and he said they weren't illegal," Devon Cook said.
Now, I agree that jail time is a bit much, but to say they aren't illegal is utter BS!

Besides emergency vehicles, cars are not allowed to have blue lights.

In fact, the only LEGAL colored light a car is allowed to have is RED, WHITE, and AMBER.

I agree with previous posts about how these punks need to dealt with in the most seriousness of matters. The potential for these lights to cause serious accidents (as LanceJ has pointed out) should be enough reason to crack down on this crap.

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Cmon Mark,
Since when has a blue light on a cop or other vehicle caused a serious accident?

Somewhere in there i read that for it to be illegal the light had to be flashing or revolving. This tiny, probably not even a centimeter wide, light is far from dangerous.

The problem with the law is that it outright makes any blue lights illegal. This is where a cops "DESCRETION" comes into play, and it SHOULD have been to issue a warning or at the most, a ticket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks