What's new

Are these cables what I need?? (1 Viewer)

JayKellen

Stunt Coordinator
I want Dolby Digital and DTS sound and people have told me that I need an optical or coaxial something or other, and I purchased with my home theater system this set of monster cables, actually, its a kit of most of the things you need....my question: is this what i needed to have this quality of sound???????...thank you yet again

Monster Cable Premium Home Theater A/V Hookup Kit
Model: 300

Enhance your home theater experience with patented Monster Cable technology. Includes all the premium cables you need for highest-quality audio/video hookup using standard A/V connections.

$99.99

PRODUCT FEATURES
Kit includes THX-certified front L/R (10'), center (6') and surround L/R (30') speaker cables, THX-certified powered or passive subwoofer cable and premium-quality A/V (RCA video and stereo RCA audio) interconnects

Premium-quality cables feature patented Monster technologies for the ultimate performance

High-resolution video cable delivers a crystal-clear picture with brilliant color

Finely crafted audio cables for incredibly accurate, realistic movie sound

Advanced Monster XPHP speaker cables for extreme high performance

JayKellen

Stunt Coordinator
let me get this straight...i need this fiber optical thx cable to have dts and dolby digital??...how many of these do i need?......where do i plug it in at?....oh boy, im more confused than ever...please help, i want dolby digital sound so badly it hurts.......

DavidDon

Stunt Coordinator
Get yourself a Digital Coax and yon should be set. It is usually preferred over optical due to fewer digital conversions (digital to optical then back to digital). Go to http://www.apogeedigital.com for a good inexpensive one (at least it has gotten great reviews) and get the S/PDIF one to the length you need (that is the one that is RCA connector to RCA connector).

Enjoy!

And yes...it is damn confusing!

JayKellen

Stunt Coordinator
so this cord then hooks from the back of the dvd player to the back of the receiver in what outlets??...and this little cord can cause great increases in sound capabilities??...what exactly does it do??.....i apologize, im HORRIBLE at this home theater stuff but want it so badly.....thanks for all your patience with me and all of your help

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
On the back of your dvd player will be an output called Digital Coax, Or Bitstream. It is an rca type output that is almost always orange. Now on your Reciever their should be and input of the same color. Connect these. It won't work until you go into the Dvd's menu and activate the digital output, allowing Dolby digital, and sometimes a seperate on for DTS. Make sure you do this as it will save a headache wondering why it is not working. Now Make sure to have both manuals handy. Most likely you will have to make you reciever accept the digital signal as well. It will be the same with Toslink optical which I prefer.

Bill_Wil

Stunt Coordinator
Jay,
Before you buy any more cables first make sure what type of digital audio "out" connectors your DVD player has and what type of digital audio "in" connectors your receiver has. A lot of them have both coax and optical but some have one or the other. So you have to find out which type of cable you need.

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
The best way to get sound from your DVD player to your receiver is with a single digital line. All 6 channels of DD or DTS travel simultaneously on that single line- the receiver sorts this single into its 6 parts for the 5 speakers. There are 2 options- optical and digital coax. Most DVD players and most receivers are set uo for both. There is little if any quality difference between the 2 methods. Now, the RCA "video" cable that came with your monster set will function PERFECTLY well as a digital coax line, so if your not using that cable for a video hookup, then you don't have to buy anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks