Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Zhang Yimou tells MiramAxe to shove it

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter

• 1,887 posts

Posted May 30 2003 - 09:25 AM

[quote] According to Beijing Times, producer of HERO Zhang Weijing, said filming of Zhang Yimou's next martial-art film, originally scheduled for next month, had been pushed back for at least two months due to the SARS factor. He said Zhang Ziyi was definitely in but no one else, including Andy Lau, had signed up. Zhang Yimou and his writing team are still working on the script. According to another paper, Shenyang Today, the budget of this untitled project will at lease match the level of HERO, which is US$31 million. He said several Hollywood studios had contact them for distributing the film in North American and other regions. Angered by MiramAxe's doing-nothing strategy for handling HERO, he has positively ruled out MiramAxe as the potential distributor. [quote]

Great news!! Posted Image Posted Image

Chris

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Kirk Tsai

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter

• 1,424 posts

Posted May 30 2003 - 09:48 AM

Rejecting Miramax is nice, but I'm not sure about Zhang doing another super-production martial arts picture. Of course, I have not yet seen Hero...

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted May 30 2003 - 09:53 AM

Let's hope other directors and/or producers join him in a revolution against Miramaxe until they change their policy, if that ever happens.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter

• 1,887 posts

Posted May 30 2003 - 11:48 AM

[quote] I have not yet seen Hero... [quote]

Hero is a very good movie. If his next project comes anywhere near the level of Hero, it will be well worth seeing.

Chris

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,129 posts

Posted May 30 2003 - 03:54 PM

and if you have a projector or large format screen you owe it to yourself to NOT see a bootleg of this film as they look positively awful, and the visuals are important enough that the film was practically ruined for me by watching a projected bootleg. I look forward to more from Zhang Yimou and would be ecstatic to see Hero on film as it is a positively gorgeous movie. Adam

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted May 30 2003 - 04:34 PM

There are plenty of wonderful legit region 0 DVDs of Hero w/DTS tracks

Wonderful to hear about Miramaxe getting snuffed Posted Image

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,129 posts

Posted May 31 2003 - 07:32 AM

I'll have to look into that Jeff, just shows how little I really know about multi region (wasn't mine, I was at someone else's place and they were all proud about having it, but the enormous compression artifacts, haloing, ghosting and mediocre sound makes me think that they ended up with a bootleg and not a legit region zero dvd.

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted May 31 2003 - 02:53 PM

I can definitly say there are legit Region 0 DVDs of this film, because I own one. It looks and sounds great. Don't have the DTS version, tho. Posted Image Maybe when the extended version comes out...

Jason

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   JohnAP

JohnAP

Second Unit

• 264 posts

Posted May 31 2003 - 09:43 PM

Yeah, I got a legit R0 dvd of Hero and was very happy with the quality of it. You can get it on ebay or various online retailers for less than $15. Of course, it is the kind of film that you want to see on the big screen, but it seems Miramax has been sitting on this one for a while so who knows if it'll ever even make it out of the festivals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users