What's new

Goatees: the new Mullet (1 Viewer)

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
First of all let me just say that I don't mean to offend anyone with my comments and observations.

Short haircut and a goatee; if I had half a penny for every guy I see that fits that description I'd make Bill Gates look poor by comparison.

Ok with that out of the way, what's up with guys and goatees? I mean I'm seeing way too many and it's overkill. Right, who am I to bring this controversial issue to bare in a public forum, but I think it must be said: dude lose the goatee. It's played out. Not only is it played out, just like Mullets many years ago I think it now stands as a similar monuement to wanting to look somewhat cool while still maintaining a respectable appearance so you can show up to work with it.

IMHO(yes it is still humble) goatees now rank right alongside the infamous Mullet haircut as a style that should disappear. Or at least be controlled. Granted, goatees have been around for a very long time so it can't be considered a fad like Mullets.

If you have a goatee or an opinion, share your thoughts. Especially why you have a goatee and what you think it does for you.

(try not to flame me too hard! :D)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i agree. i think they just look silly.

not as bad as the little flicks of hair that some people grow right under their lower lip.

not quite a soul patch, which i think is the dumbest looking thing on a facial hair issue i ever saw.

ban the soul patch.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
I've had mine since 1995, which I think is right around the time they started to become popular.

Why do I wear it? At first, I liked how it looked. I still like how it looks, but even more than that, I like the fact that there is less for me to shave every morning. That's a pretty damn big benefit right there.

As for whether goatees are in or out...who cares? I'm a grown man, I make my own fashion decisions. As long as I'm happy with them, and my wife doesn't nag me about how I look or what I wear, I'm happy.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I totally understand minimizing the shaving process, Carl and thanks for your honesty. :) I grow some stuble and rarely have a clean-shaven face. But let me ask you this: what stops you from just growing a beard since you don't like shaving? I mean you still have to shave the majority of your face right?

For the record at one point many years ago, the early 90's to be precise, I did have a goatee but after I started seeing a lot of other guys with one I shaved it off.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I will continue to wear my goatee, for the simple fact: I Hate my chin

If I ever decide that my cheeks are planning my death, or otherwise force me to hate them, I shall grow a full beard to spite them.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
But let me ask you this: what stops you from just growing a beard since you don't like shaving? I mean you still have to shave the majority of your face right?
Because me wife doesn't like me in a beard. Because it's too itchy. And because my wife doesn't like me in a beard. ;)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I have a goatee, but it's not like the one in the picture above. The sides of my lips don't necessarily connect, so I'm just letting it grow as a goatee and moustache. I'm also going to let it keep growing out, I have yet to trim it. I promised a friend I'd shave a line straight down the middle at the end of the school year, though, but I might not be around for that (field trip during finals).

ChrisR

Stunt Coordinator
I've had mine since 1992. Before it became "cool". I wonder if I started something?:wink:
My wife has never seen me without it. I plan on shaving it off in three weeks and then growing it right back. I can't wait to see her expression.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Morgan has a goatee? Can't wait to see this. IF it's anything like my facial hair was at 17 it's mighty sparse ;)

I have a full beard because I like how it looks, but mostly because I hate shaving. Twice a month I trim it, takes 5min

Shawn McBride

Stunt Coordinator
I hate shaving so I've had facial hair since the moment it was thick enough to keep. For the past five years I've bounced between the goatee, the chinstrap, and a full blown beard. I have long hair though so I'm not really trying to fit into Gary's respectable but rebellious image. I've been threatening to shave it all off lately but my wife likes it and she won't let me. :)

Shawn

Leo Hinze

Stunt Coordinator
Technically, the facial hair shown in the above picture is called a Van Dyke.

A goatee does not include a mustache.

Holy Simultaneous Posts, Batman!

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
I was thinking the old van dykes were trimmed to a point on the chin. How'd they come up with these names for beards anyway,lol?

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
You are right, the goatee is the new mullet and THE TIME IS RIPE FOR CHANGE. My next experiment in facial hair will be the "Cardassian Goatee" as worn by Mark Alaimo, the one and only Gul Macet.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
But what happened then when you saw a lot of clean-shaven guys walking around??
Well to me a clean-shaven face is the default manner in which a man should look, despite the fact that I guess technically a default look might be a beard since it requires little to no upkeep. So for me when in doubt about my appearance for a date, job interview etc, I'm clean-shaven. But as I mentioned right now I'm Stuble City.

Buzz I agree with you about wearing one earing as also being the new Mullet. For years I wore an earing in my left ear, usually a small loop. One day I got tired of taking it in and out for job interviews and I asked myself why the hell I was wearing this thing. I arrived at the fact that I was trying to look cool and rebellious of course. Then I realized I didn't need a friggin' earing to do that. Imagine someone with a Mullet, a goatee and one earing! Whoa. Btw I do think that goatees on older men mostly look good. For example, Stryker in X2. It usually gives men a more distinguished look. Maybe it's the gray hair. I dunno. I wouldn't doubt that when I get older I might change my mind about goatees!

Anyway, I appreciate people not jumping on me and discussing these things because in hindsight I might have initially came off wrong in my first post. These are sensitive matters that most women aren't privy to! ;)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I've had mine since 1992. Before it became "cool". I wonder if I started something?
I'm with ya, I started mine in '93 when there weren't many of them.

Even though I have had one for 10 years now, I understand what you mean Gary. It seems like EVERYONE is jumping on the band wagon. I guess it all comes down to wether the Goatee looks right or not. Some guys look good with a goatee and other guys just can't pull it off.

As Garrett mentioned, the chin thing is a great reason for the goatee. My goatee definitely hides my double chin thing. :D

I actually once shaved it almost off a few years back, but I was so used to having it, I felt almost naked without it. So there'll be no shaving it off anytime soon for me.

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
I have had the stereotypical goatee and long sideburns look for a while. It looks good on me so I go with it.

I have talked to different guys about this actually, and the ones who don't like goatees are the ones who can't grow them to begin with.

I gotta say though, I know what you mean. There is a goatee and long sideburns everywhere I look. I actually shaved em both off not too long ago just to break out of the mold. I have never, ever, been in the in crowd or done hip things, so I was alarmed to fit in.

But geez, I look rather okay with that extra hair, so now the goat and burns are back.

JohnE

Supporting Actor
What the hell is a mullet? I've got a mental picture, but.....well, does anyone have a link to a picture?

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
What the hell is a mullet? I've got a mental picture, but.....well, does anyone have a link to a picture?
Obi Wan...Attack of the Clones. ;)

I have a Goatee (sometimes a beard) b/c without it I look like I'm still 15/16 instead of 22. With it people think I'm 26-29.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks