What's new

ER Season One on 8/26 (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
It'll be a four-disc set including the 90-minute Pilot in addition to all of the episodes from the first season. Retail is $59.98.

Here are the features:

Personal notes from series creator Michael Crichton.

Audio commentary on the Pilot from Michael Crichton and John Wells.

Audio commentary on the Pilot from Director Rod Holcomb and key production crew.

Audio Commentaries on "Love's Labor Lost" and "Sleepless in Chicago" by the Directors and production crew.

Documentary on the pilot featuring interviews with Steven Spielberg and executive producers Michael Crichton and John Wells.

Documentary on the first season complete with interviews with the principal cast members.

The First Year Intern Handbook: Interactive featurette including character profiles, patient histories, and medical terminology.

Featurette on the medical consultants used in the series.

Featurette on the series' post production.

Additional Scenes.

Outtakes.

Hidden Features.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
GREAT NEWS!
I was wondering what was up with this release since it had been awhile since we heard anything. Thanks for the info!

Joel C

Screenwriter
I hope Smallville is similarly featured/priced. Too bad La Femme Nikita gets the $99 Warner price point.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
i just realized this is a 4-disc set. I guess they will use both sides of each disc with 3 or 4 episodes per side. Probably why they can release it at such a affordable price. I can't wait!

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Awesome, awesome news...but only a 4 disc set? That's 7 45-minute episodes per disc, over 5 hours of video.

I like the low price, but I hope the compression isn't problematic.

Edit: I guess it's possible that they'd be DVD-18s like the Japanese DVDs are, I think?

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
That's 7 45-minute episodes per disc, over 5 hours of video.
That's really too bad, because I was hoping ER would do the same as Friends - show all of the episode. I have read (though haven't seen it confirmed) that ER has to deliver a 60 minute episode to NBC and NBC then edits it down to 43 minutes. IF this is true - a big if - then we're really not seeing the "whole" episodes. And there have been a fair number of episodes that seemed to have suffered from a lot of editing for time (and I don't mean the syndicated reruns).

Still, sounds like they are including some great extras, and I have not seen most of seasons 1-4. If only Friends and X-Files would include gag/outtakes as well!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
In response to Michael's post...they aren't stating for sure a 45-min-per-ep running time. They're just speculating about the disc count.

Noone has stated yet whether the unaired footage will be present or not. I won't take bets on it, though...but anything is possible. It might yet be included.

The disc count is strange, but the fact of it's coming is great! Thanks for the news, Jeremy...I'm always happy to give credit where it is due! :D

James Reader

Screenwriter
It's bound to be DVD-18 - this is the format of the Japanese releases and any other format doesn't make sense!

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
According to epguides.com there are 26 episodes in season 1. There's no way this could fit onto 4 DVD-9s. It''s either DVD-18s or a misprint.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
season 1 is actually 24 episodes + the 2-hour pilot but they probably were counting the pilot as 2 episodes to get 26. :)

Dax P

Stunt Coordinator
Very highly doubt Michael Martin's rumor that Amblin delivers a 60 minute episode, and NBC cuts them down themselves... No, John Wells wouldn't like that at all (they frequently hate NBC's promos...).

I'm sure there is 'deleted footage' for most episodes (not holding my breath that we'll ever see much of it), but I believe the final cuts ARE all done 'in house' and they aim for the necessary 42 or 45, whatever the minute count is...

The Friends crew do all of their own editing, too...

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
This image is rather small but it is the cover-art for ER S1 via dvdplanet.

EDIT: I can't make out if one of them is george clooney. The guy on the far right sorta looks like Luka, and of course he wasn't in season 1.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I can't make out if one of them is george clooney. The guy on the far right sorta looks like Luka, and of course he wasn't in season 1.
Oh, c'mon...:)

Third from left is Clooney and the guy on the far right is Noah Wyle.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Hey, nice cover art.
This is one of the most anticiapted TV on DVD sets for me. I never wanted to buy the expensive Japanese sets, plus I always figured an eventual R1 release would be the definitive version anyway. Ah well, took a little longer than I had hoped, but here it finally is. :emoji_thumbsup:

Chris

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Thomas: Thanks for pointing that out. The resolution on the photo isn't all that good so the faces were kind of blurry to me, but i should have still figured that out. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks