What's new

Klipsch SWV (1 Viewer)

Jim Cash

Auditioning
I was recently 'given' the above sub by a friend who no longer wanted it hanging around. My plan is to use it in my small (bedroom) system, but the back panel only allows for speaker wire input. Has anyone converted an older sub to allow connection via coax?

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
quick question, is the sub an active sub or a passive sub and are you sure that the speaker in's are a high level input? if the sub is passive, you should be able to just buy an amp for it and hook the amp up to the speaker ins like normal, then use your reciever or a seperate low pass filter to filter out all but the lows. car stereos and externally powered subs all use speaker wires for their connections, there isn't anything wrong with it.

if the sub is powered then:
i believe the coax cable between the sub and the reciever are analog. the only difference being the reciever sets a cutoff on thecoax while the sub sets a cutoff on the speaker level.

provided my assumptions are correct, all you would need to do is put a coax connector in parrallel with the speaker level connectors.

would be a simple matter, mount the coax connecter on the box. then take the outside ring of the coax (ground) and sodler it to the metal connector on the back of the black (ground) speaker level in's (this will put it in parrallel) do the same with the middle contact but connect it to the red speaker level in. I don't think you need to mess with the subs filter since it's just a low pass filter that shouldn't interfere with the signal.

well, this is the quick and dirty method, should work just fine.

hope this helps you out some,
Rob

Jim Cash

Auditioning
Hi Rob,

Yes it is an active sub. I'll get the weller heated up today and have a go at it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, eh?;)

Thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks